bad wheel bearing? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

bad wheel bearing?

my 02 2500 4x4 has 188k miles on mostly original front end and drivetrain. i'm finally starting to do some maintenance and upgrades on it. over the past couple of weeks there's a vibration coming from what seems to be the right front. seems like a wheel bearing but i'm not sure because it doesn't feel the same as other trucks i've had. it's not making a lot of noise but it has kind of a random but frequent "flutter" vibration feeling, sort of like an out of balance wheel or a bent wheel, especially at highway speeds. it has gotten worse and i'm trying to fix it in the next few days. not sure what a bad CV joint feels like but i know that could be the problem as well. 20x9's with Hankook DynaPro AT's which i check regularly and keep rotated.

thanks for any advice,
Cody
HELO 835 chrome 20x9 - Hankook DynaPro AT 285/55
Bilstein 5100's
Alpine/Diamond/Kicker stereo
Cody80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Most likely bearing
2005 chevy 4dr SB, Garret 4094-stage-2!! EFI. EDGE CTS ROB FROM IDAHO, 8" Fabteach, 37" pro comps on 18s, straight exhaust AFE intake with mouthpiece, blacked out, custom one of a kind cab lights. full stereo with fosgate shallow 12, FabTech Tie rods. Cognito idler and pitman saver. custom traction bars, Viper Remote Start FOR IPHONE, bd blow off valve. rhino liner Theres More Just Cant Think Of It.. TRAIN HORN!!!!, Diamond Eye DP, Radar/laser Detector--AND JAMMER. fox gauges. air ride bags/ with on board air..Mag Tech Diff Cover
CVBFireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Jack it up and try to wiggle that wheel!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App
Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Jack it up and try to shake the tire/wheel placing your hands on top and bottom of the tire pushing and pulling to make it move if there is any looseness. Placing your hands front and rear of the tire, you may hear/see movement due to worn steering components.

If you see no movement, before you assume the bearing is fine place a LONG screw driver of something of the sort (think stethoscope) against the center of the hub and the other end firmly to your ear. Roll the wheel and listen closely through the screw driver for the bearing rollers. You will hear the rollers nice and smooth if the bearing is good and you will hear the grinding of the bearing rollers if the bearing is bad.

PERFORMANCE UPGRADES
EFI Live, Tuned by Idaho Rob, 5" MBRP turbo back, Transgo Jr.

NON-PERFORMANCE UPGRADES
A.R.E. Z Force Camper shell, Yakima tracks & control towers, Jotto Desk, power inverter, Michelin 265/75R16 M/S2

COMING SOON
Sun Coast G-Max, Air Dog, Fuel rail shim & DSP-5!
gtocato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtocato View Post
If you see no movement, before you assume the bearing is fine place a LONG screw driver of something of the sort (think stethoscope) against the center of the hub and the other end firmly to your ear. Roll the wheel and listen closely through the screw driver for the bearing rollers. You will hear the rollers nice and smooth if the bearing is good and you will hear the grinding of the bearing rollers if the bearing is bad.
That's a new one to me.

good info!
DiamondEye 4", EFI Live by BobO, Edge Insight CTS, S&B Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, MOOG idler/pitman with SS support, Raptor 150, P553207, !PCV, !EGR, Transgo Jr, Rare Parts tie rods, 55 watt 4.5k HID low/hi/fogs, Belltech 3" lowering shackle
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Have you checked your tire balance as well?

2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a Duramax
250,000 miles
Awalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 06:58 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Slave to the Interwebs

These truck have a problem with eating wheel bearings. It becomes more fluent when you run bigger wheels and tires. Shake the tire back and forth with it jacked up. The wheel will have play in it up and down if it is a bad bearing. You can shake it side to side but it will not be as easy to tell. With 188k on the clock I would say it has to be the bearing.

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, TRANSGO JR, BLOCKED, TIE ROD SLEEVES...

WORK RIG
2014 3500 CREW,DUALLY, LML, HARBOR 9' UTILITY BED Bone Freakin Stock
This is not only your forum you have to share it with over 100,000 others
Johnasara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Stealership wanted over $600USD to replace, I did it myself for $225. Not too hard, just make sure you have a GOOD impact wrench and a GOOD 36mm socket. IIRC, the caliper bolts are pretty tough too. The factory thread locker is tough to break loose.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
Stealership wanted over $600USD to replace, I did it myself for $225. Not too hard, just make sure you have a GOOD impact wrench and a GOOD 36mm socket. IIRC, the caliper bolts are pretty tough too. The factory thread locker is tough to break loose.

1 7/16 6 point will also do fine, if you dont have a 36mm available.

LMM RIP 10/9/10

maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.