pitman and idler arm steering box removal? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:02 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Mine was rusted on there tight, I can to cut it with a wheel and then use a puller before it finally let loose.
Make sure you don't use a cheapo puller because it may take quite a bit of force to get it off.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
That One Guy

Well I am looking to do my pitman and idler arm along with my steering stabilizer shock too. Any other tips I may need to help this go a smooth? Also I know there is a thread somewhere about the two different grooved pitman arms and how to tell which one you have. Anyone know where that is?

Built With Help From Some Great Friends and Sponsor Jags Pro Truck Shop!
WisconsinHick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinHick1 View Post
Well I am looking to do my pitman and idler arm along with my steering stabilizer shock too. Any other tips I may need to help this go a smooth? Also I know there is a thread somewhere about the two different grooved pitman arms and how to tell which one you have. Anyone know where that is?

Once you get the nut off, you'll be able to see how many splines you have (ie 3 or 4 spline......3 spline is most common).
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_LBZ View Post
How I got mine off, no need to remove any steering box bolts, or cut the pitman arm. I just use my pitman arm puller with a shorter bolt from the local hardware store, mounted upside down of course, and some grease between the contact points, it came right off.
You sir are a genius, plain and simple!

2008 LMM CCSB LTZ-DSP5, MBRP exhaust, EGR blocked, leveling kit, 20x10 Fuel Mavericks, Toyo A/T

Sold2007 LBZ 2500HD Crewcab 4x4, EFI Live DSP5, TransGo Jr, Airdog II 165, MBRP 3" Downpipe, AFE intake, 4inch RBP turboback straight piped exhaust, egr blocked, PCV Rerouted, tie rods sleeved, 20inch Fuel Hostage, 305/55R20 procomp extreme A/t
SOLD2003 2500HD Ext cab LB7 4x4, EFI Live DSP5, PPE Boost Valve, Airdog 150, AEM HD intake, MBRP 5inch straight pipe, 20 inch eagle alloy 097, 33inch federal couragia mt
nsolimini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_LBZ View Post
How I got mine off, no need to remove any steering box bolts, or cut the pitman arm. I just use my pitman arm puller with a shorter bolt from the local hardware store, mounted upside down of course, and some grease between the contact points, it came right off.
Hell thats a good idea, Think I'll do that this summer when I change the one on my old suburban..
35" Xtreame A/T's
4" Iron Cross step bars

DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

that will only work if u have the tool he has , with the crankable nut inside the clamp and not outside like most tools

2008 victory vegas low raked 45
1997 gmc 3/4 2wd parts wagon

Xtremeline Automotive Services
www.atptrucks.com
blackdeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^ Thanks guys! Seen a OTC tool designed the same way, thought I can replicate that in a poor man's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
that will only work if u have the tool he has , with the crankable nut inside the clamp and not outside like most tools
Tool is from Auto Zone, and the bolt is a 5/8" NF bolt available at any hardware store, inverted of course.
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 04:59 AM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post

I believe that style puller is the OTC 6496 - Close Quarters Pitman Arm Puller

I broke one like that trying to get mine off so I finally used an OTC 7310A (now 7311A) to get it off. It is strong enough that you can use a 1/2" impact gun on it if you need to but make sure to use lots of grease on the threads to prevent binding under load.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Hey guys...checking this out...coming up next week for me. Do you all know the size of the pitman arm nut. Is it a 1 5/16"? Also, does anyone know the torque specs for both arms?
4" STRAIGHT PIPE EXHAUST * MBRP 5" TIP * DIAMONDEYE DOWNPIPE
BANKS INTERCOOLER * RESONATOR HOLE PLUGGED * AIRDOG II 165
EDGE INSIGHT MONITOR * ALLIGATOR PERFORMANCE FULL EGR DELETE
EFILIVE DSP5 * BLACKDIRTYMAX PPE5 TRANS ML CONVERTER
lubeman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 05:30 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeman1969 View Post
Hey guys...checking this out...coming up next week for me. Do you all know the size of the pitman arm nut. Is it a 1 5/16"? Also, does anyone know the torque specs for both arms?

Yes, the pitman arm nut is 1-5/16"

I wouldn't worry about the torque spec on them, just use a good 1/2" impact gun to get them on tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.