Center Support Bearing blown out - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Center Support Bearing blown out

Have an 05 Silverado long bed and my center support bearing for my drive line just went out for the second time within a year. Replaced the last one in May of 2011. Ive taken it to two different mechanics and they cant find nothing wrong with my truck. Im thinking there has to be something wrong because these bearing are supposed to last for years. Any ideas???
4" INCH TURBO BACK EXHAUST
PPE STANDARD/ FUEL VALVE SHIMMED
AMP RESEARCH POWER STEPS
MAGHYTEC DIFF COVER
20" INCH MAZZI WHEELS
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY TIRES
EGR AND RESONATOR BLOCKED
AUTOMETER PYRO AND BOOST GAUGES
luke0490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

maybe one of the shafts is out of balance. Did any place that you took it to spin them?

06 cclb 3500 single lbz
cuse diesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moved to Drivetrain-0- not a 911 problem.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Have the driveshaft balanced at a good driveshaft shop.
06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Can you post a picture of what it looks like? The parts stores are REAL good at selling people the wrong bearings for these trucks. Sound like what you might be experiencing. The correct bearing can be had from a Dana-Spicer distributor for a fraction of what the dealer sells them for. So dont run right out to the dealer. Lets see some pictures if you can.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I dont have any pics of it but pretty much all the rubber that surrounds the bearing was worn out and melted. I already replaced the bearing with the GM one. I was also thinking my drive line might be out of balance.
AMP RESEARCH POWER STEPS
MAGHYTEC DIFF COVER
20" INCH MAZZI WHEELS
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY TIRES
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke0490 View Post
I dont have any pics of it but pretty much all the rubber that surrounds the bearing was worn out and melted. I already replaced the bearing with the GM one. I was also thinking my drive line might be out of balance.

The driveline being out of balance wouldn't chew the rubber up like that, my money is on it being the wrong bearing.

Did the new GM bearing come with the little can to re clamp the boot on?
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

The new bearing came in two pieces. The main bearing assembly and a metal round piece. Im assuming this is what your talking about.
AMP RESEARCH POWER STEPS
MAGHYTEC DIFF COVER
20" INCH MAZZI WHEELS
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY TIRES
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is the bearing failing, or is the rubber failing-??
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

i had some problems with my rubber getting chewed out also. i ended up getting a different carrier bearing. Also had the driveshaft balanced and had to change the u-joints

DRW Club #64
billkonceniii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.