Transfer Case replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Transfer Case replacement

I just found out that my transfer case has a whole in the bottom and It is binding up. Feels like something is getting caught between gears and bottom line is needs replace.

My question is how difficult is it to replace. I am mechanically savvy but have never pulled one of these apart. I would be doing this on the ground on my back. Shop wants 2400 to do the repair. Thoughts? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I did my tcase fix myself, I'm a welder so that helps. it's a magnesium case so welding know how is critical, your cheapest bet would be to remove the tcase, just use a floor jack. open it up, remove housing where hole is, give it to a good welder, be sure to tell him it's magnesium. then inspect the tcase for worn/damaged parts and replace as necessary. when I first detected the hole I removed right away and repaired the hole, cost me about 100bucks in parts, gm has a updated clip for the pump, I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket, pump plate assy's (kennedy diesel, etc.) They are not necessary IMO, the gear guy I deal with says after the tcases get the updated 8 dollar clip, he never see's them again. I will refer you to my gear suplier : Border Parts, 3875 Bancroft Drive Spring Valley, CA 91977 (619) 461-0171 the guy is a whizz. At very least I would remove and open to assess the damage. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

Its not hard to remove the tcase. Its as straight forward as it looks.

Sent from my old skool Droid

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldersd View Post
I did my tcase fix myself, I'm a welder so that helps. it's a magnesium case so welding know how is critical, your cheapest bet would be to remove the tcase, just use a floor jack. open it up, remove housing where hole is, give it to a good welder, be sure to tell him it's magnesium. then inspect the tcase for worn/damaged parts and replace as necessary. when I first detected the hole I removed right away and repaired the hole, cost me about 100bucks in parts, gm has a updated clip for the pump, I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket, pump plate assy's (kennedy diesel, etc.) They are not necessary IMO, the gear guy I deal with says after the tcases get the updated 8 dollar clip, he never see's them again. I will refer you to my gear suplier : Border Parts, 3875 Bancroft Drive Spring Valley, CA 91977 (619) 461-0171 the guy is a whizz. At very least I would remove and open to assess the damage. Good luck.
We have an 01 with the 8.1L. Transfer case had a hole in it when we got it so we got the updated clip from GM put in and a new half put on. Guess what it has another hole in it. This time it's getting the pump rub fix from Merchant.
11 Yamaha Nytro XTX
13 Yamaha Superjet
KWfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

It's not that bad of a job, but you will need a clip ring tool to remove the rear case half and all the bearings. I'm sure someone has posted a DIY on here somewhere. If it's come to the point where it is binding you'll have to order new syncro's, mood fork because it will be chewed up. Ask me how I know this. You can get all the bearings from your local bearing dealer or you can order a complete kit seals and all for around 150 on the net. The syncro's will run you about 120 for all three components. Go ahead and order a new aluminum tail housing it will come with a new yoke bushing installed and the pump kit from Merchant Auto is worth the money. I've had to do this to both of my trucks.
2005 LLY CC SB 4X4 Ranch Hand Bumpers, 265/75/16 BFG'S A/T'S, EGR Blocked and FingerSticked, MB Gunner 8 Wheels, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with MBRP Cat Delete Front Pipe, AFE Bladerunner MP, PCV Reroute, All Lights ON Mood, Nicktane CAT fuel filter, AirDog 100, Amsoil Fluids and more go fast goodies soon!.
BIGON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you get the case apart and the planetary is toast you may just as well get a new or reman case. Reman cases used to be cheap( relatively) through GM and came with the best warranty.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to me GMC View Post
If you get the case apart and the planetary is toast you may just as well get a new or reman case. Reman cases used to be cheap( relatively) through GM and came with the best warranty.
x2. If its been ran dry just get a reman. I pulled mine apart and it was toast, parts cost almost the same as a reman if theres to much damage. Plus that way you get a warranty. But if it hasnt been ran dry you can go for it, or pull it look at it and decide to build it or get a reman. My mainshaft, forks, pump, planteray were all shot along with everything else. Metal shaving were ran through it like most of them that ran dry.

It is very easy though. Pull both driveshafts out, disconnect all plugs/wiring, put a jack under the tranny and pull the crossmember out that supports the trans. Then you have like 6 or 8 nuts holding it to the trans(dont remember exact #). Take those out, slide it backwards a little then point the front of it towards the ground clearing the trans and pull it out forward(going towards the trans). It should only take like 30mins to take out given you have air tools or friends to help. I dont recall all the socket sizes for the bolts. Youll need wrenchs for the tcase nuts

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties

Last edited by Thebiggids; 05-28-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

We stock tansfer case parts, the upgrade kits, and fully reman units.
Transfer Case LB7 Duramax 261XHD 263XHD

Once you follow the above link
click on either the 261XHD(manual floor shift) or 263XHD(push button) picture
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.