Rear pinion seal suggestion - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Rear pinion seal suggestion

So I think my rear pinion seal went out on me. I knew it was starting to but I went on a little road trip and found oil all over the under side of the bed and all surrounding areas. Had to pull off constantly to top the pumpkin off with oil.

I did some searching on here and it seems do be kinda a hassle to replace. Not taking off the old and putting on the new, but getting that nut torqued correctly. My question to people who maybe has done this before is should I just take the truck in to somebody who "no shit" knows what they are doing? Or should I just take a wack at it myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. That's what I do for a living just on airplanes. I'm worried if I do it wrong it will become more of a pain in the ass. Don't want to take it apart 5 times to get it right.

Upgrades:EFI Live from ATP Trucks w/ DSP5 Switch // EGR Blocked // PCV Reroute // 4'' Straight Pipe Exhaust
Interior:Tan Leather Interior // LT Package // AppRadio Double Din // Flip Down TV/DVD Player
Exterior:17'' Walker Evans Racing Rims // 305/65/17 Procomp Xtreme A/T Tires // Roll-Back Tonneau Cover // B&W Hidden Gooseneck Hitch
Wish List:AirDog II // 3'' Down Pipe // 5'' Exhaust // Twins // ZF6 Swap // SAS w/ 4'' Lift
Maxwell.Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

you talking about the big seal on the back of the diff??? mine has always had a little moisture around it, so i'm going to subscribe to this
which nut are you talking about??
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

No not on the back of the pumpkin. The one where the drive shaft goes inside the pumpkin. There's a nut on the shaft protruding from the axle after you take the drive shaft off and get that big balancer off. I think it's a balancer.

Upgrades:EFI Live from ATP Trucks w/ DSP5 Switch // EGR Blocked // PCV Reroute // 4'' Straight Pipe Exhaust
Interior:Tan Leather Interior // LT Package // AppRadio Double Din // Flip Down TV/DVD Player
Exterior:17'' Walker Evans Racing Rims // 305/65/17 Procomp Xtreme A/T Tires // Roll-Back Tonneau Cover // B&W Hidden Gooseneck Hitch
Wish List:AirDog II // 3'' Down Pipe // 5'' Exhaust // Twins // ZF6 Swap // SAS w/ 4'' Lift
Maxwell.Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

oh i see. i have no idea. i've dropped the d-shaft before. but never messed with that seal. The one where the d-shaft goes into the t-case is also prone to going out.
May wanna do that one as well as a t-case pump rub kit all at one time
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Its a two piece seal. Ones on the inside of the yoke and you have to replace the whole yoke. Its not to hard to get nut right though

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You should be able to do it yourself. The first thing to do is mark where the nut is-- in relation to the pinion shaft. A center punch will work.

Now remove the the yoke [balancer] and seal. reinstall and tighten the nut to the exact place where the nut was before-- a tiny bit tighter will be OK, but never less than before. You can check the rotating force before and after with a dial torque wrench.

People mess up doing this-- by using a impact wrench and over tighten, or under tighten the nut. The torque on the nut, loads the pinion bearings.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
You should be able to do it yourself. The first thing to do is mark where the nut is-- in relation to the pinion shaft. A center punch will work.

Now remove the the yoke [balancer] and seal. reinstall and tighten the nut to the exact place where the nut was before-- a tiny bit tighter will be OK, but never less than before. You can check the rotating force before and after with a dial torque wrench.

People mess up doing this-- by using a impact wrench and over tighten, or under tighten the nut. The torque on the nut, loads the pinion bearings.

Normally, an impact gun is BAD NEWS on a pinion nut because of the crush sleeve. However, the crush sleeve on the 11.5s require such an astronomical amount of force to crush that the chances of over crushing the crush sleeve by putting the nut back on with a 1/2" impact are pretty slim.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is true is you are installing a new crush sleeve. Replacing a pinion seal, most techs just replace the seal, and retorque to the original settings.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to me GMC View Post
Normally, an impact gun is BAD NEWS on a pinion nut because of the crush sleeve. However, the crush sleeve on the 11.5s require such an astronomical amount of force to crush that the chances of over crushing the crush sleeve by putting the nut back on with a 1/2" impact are pretty slim.
I counted the turns when i took it off and spun it on there with a impact too. Checked it with dial and i was fine

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
That is true is you are installing a new crush sleeve. Replacing a pinion seal, most techs just replace the seal, and retorque to the original settings.

A 1/2" impact gun does not have the @$$ to crush a sleeve on an 11.5, Like i said, its against everything i was taught, but the 11.5 is more or less the exception to the rule and has a crush sleeve you almost cant fudge up.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.