ARB Locker up front - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

ARB Locker up front

So I Installed a ARB Locker for the rear of my truck and regeared It to 4.11's. Now Its time to regear the front and get a locker up there as well. I use my truck for daily driving and Sled pulling with the occasional drag strip. I'm going with the ARB to keep things the same on the truck but wanted to hear a real world answer to driving In the snow. I've been told that If I leave the switch deactivated ( Unlocked ) and engage my dash mounted 4wheel high that the truck with basically run 3 wheel drive correct? So only one front wheel will be driven ( which ever one has the ring gear on It ) Is this statement true? 3 wheel drive In the snow will be more then enough to keep me on the road and not In the ditch If I was to lock the diff.
Anyone that actually has a ARB In their front 9.25 let me know your real world answer to this.
Black 2006 GMC LBZ SLT3 CCSB | 9" TCS lift on 20x12 Fuel Hostages with 35" Nittos | PPE Diff cover | PPE Deep Trans pan | FloPro 5" straight pipe + Pypes 8" tip | Suncoast stage 4 Trans | EFI Live w/ DSP5 | Airdog II 165 | AFE Intake | AFE Turbo Inlet | AFE Hotside Boost Tube | Cognito UCA's | Rare parts tierods | Straight center link and SS Idler support | ARB Rear / Eaton E locker Front + 4.10's F/R | Trac Bars |

4/7/2012: 496whp / 1042wtq
1SikLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Anyone have an answer?
Black 2006 GMC LBZ SLT3 CCSB | 9" TCS lift on 20x12 Fuel Hostages with 35" Nittos | PPE Diff cover | PPE Deep Trans pan | FloPro 5" straight pipe + Pypes 8" tip | Suncoast stage 4 Trans | EFI Live w/ DSP5 | Airdog II 165 | AFE Intake | AFE Turbo Inlet | AFE Hotside Boost Tube | Cognito UCA's | Rare parts tierods | Straight center link and SS Idler support | ARB Rear / Eaton E locker Front + 4.10's F/R | Trac Bars |

Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

How do you like the locker in the rear? And how much did it cost?
07.5 lmm cc/sb 20 moto metal 962 33 toyo mt, cognito uca's 15% tint all around, EFI live by rob 5 inch straight pipe, egr block off,Pvc reroute, Air Dog, kryptonite center link, rare parts tie rods, cognito braces Piller guages, aligator stage v tranz, youkon grizzly locker, s&b intake, Ma motor mounts/ transfer case brace, cognito traction bars
kawikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

If your front ARB is de activated, and the back is on and you put your truck in 4 wheel drive it will act the exact same as it does now (an open diff) so pretty much which ever tire has the least amount of traction will spin (3 wheel drive) this is actually better for snow in some cases because if the road is sloped to one side you won't just slide off. Once you activate the front it will be true 4 wheel drive. All 4 wheels will spin at the same speed until something breaks ...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawikid View Post
How do you like the locker in the rear? And how much did it cost?
Love It haha
So awesome to have a fully locked rear, Just needa finish the front so I can get back to pullin the sled

Old 11-11-2012, 04:52 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Is there a switch in the cab to lock it and unlock it??
07.5 lmm cc/sb 20 moto metal 962 33 toyo mt, cognito uca's 15% tint all around, EFI live by rob 5 inch straight pipe, egr block off,Pvc reroute, Air Dog, kryptonite center link, rare parts tie rods, cognito braces Piller guages, aligator stage v tranz, youkon grizzly locker, s&b intake, Ma motor mounts/ transfer case brace, cognito traction bars
kawikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardbh1 View Post
If your front ARB is de activated, and the back is on and you put your truck in 4 wheel drive it will act the exact same as it does now (an open diff) so pretty much which ever tire has the least amount of traction will spin (3 wheel drive) this is actually better for snow in some cases because if the road is sloped to one side you won't just slide off. Once you activate the front it will be true 4 wheel drive. All 4 wheels will spin at the same speed until something breaks ...

Thats what I wanted to hear. I wasnt fully sure of how It would all work. 3 Wheels bein driven will be plenty to get me through the snow we get around In Cali. Only time the front will ever be locked will be when I pull the sled In the dirt.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I think the ARB locker in the front is the way to go. As others mentioned, you can choose not to use it and it will perform like an open diff. And, when you decide you need more traction, it will act like a fully locked diff. I would love to have ARB lockers front and rear in my truck, but just can't justify the expense with what little off road driving I actually do in my truck.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

ARB Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SikLBZ View Post
Thats what I wanted to hear. I wasnt fully sure of how It would all work. 3 Wheels bein driven will be plenty to get me through the snow we get around In Cali. Only time the front will ever be locked will be when I pull the sled In the dirt.

The ARB Set up's are simple. There is one switch for compressor and another switch for each air locker you have. If you have 2 lockers then you have 2 switches & they never have to be ran at the same time. So to answer your questions, yes you will be able to turn the locker on and off from inside the cab on the fly..

ARB P/N: RD51

-Alec
coleman132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.