Power Steering Pump.... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Power Steering Pump....

Hello,
I've read a bunch of other posts in relation to the same problem I am having, which is that the pressure relief valve is getting stuck on my power steering pump, which has left the truck undriveable. It first happened about 4 months ago. I wasn't sure what the issue was at first, but I took the cap off the PSP and there was a bit of pressure there. I replaced the cap, started the truck and everything was back to normal. I've had no issues since and kind of forgot about the problem. On the weekend I parked the truck friday night, and didn't drive it until Sunday. After starting it, I noticed that I had no power steering or brakes again. I tried the cap trick, with no success. Monday I ordered a new power steering pump to be installed. I read a lot of posts regarding the same issue in the forums and that some people have cured this issue by doing a fluid flush. My concern is that if I am driving it and the valve becomes stuck leaving me with no power steering or brakes, I would be certain to be in a wreck. I have not had the valve apart to see how it functions so I am hoping someone can give me some feed back.

So my questions are:
1. If I start the truck and I have power steering and brakes (ie: Value is working properly), can it malfunction after I start driving?? Or once the fluid is circulating, it will stay (Im assuming) open and I wont have any problems??

2. Truck only has 90,000 KM is this typical this early? The pump shaft is not broken. Any other thoughts why the valve is not working? Is it possible there is debris in the system at only 90,000KM? (Unless an o-ring has fallen apart, but I dont have any leaks).

Thank you!
T
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moving to drivetrain
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing once ,fired it up and went to back out of garage and no brakes or power steering. I checked fluid, moved it back and forth still nothing, shut truck off and started again and everything was fine. I noticed a little twitch in the wheel when hitting the brakes while driving and then I did the flush and it's like new .Also around 97,000
2005 lly cclb, EFI live Tuning by Idaho Rob @ A.T.P. , Edge Insight CTS, MBRP 5" straight pipe , lml drivers side manifold ,Afe Bladerunner, S&B c.a.i. , XDP fuel valve, pcv reroute, BFG AT 285'S ,Big Dipper built PPE stage 5 trans.,dts stainless down pipe. Fass Titanium150 ,5/8 suction tube, Profab egr, merchant tie rod sleeves and transfer case brace,AFE hot side intercooler pipe. delete.
50WHIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I always have a twitch on the steering wheel when first applying the brakes and have flushed it.......I'm amazed theres not more wrecks with this scenario of both steering and brakes being linked to the same system.......you could possibly lose one and survive but both, lady luck has to be on your side if you lose both........
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Titanite, What are you doing to resolve the issue. The PS Flush sounds like the consensus and the cheapest solution. IMO if the flush does not fix the issue, then the hydroboost would be my next guess, not the PS pump. I just replaced my high pressure PS line (leaking) yesterday, and while I was there I flushed the system. 94,500 miles. You won't believe the amount of crud that is in the system. I wounder if a inline filter can be installed?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2052-0001.pdf
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Hello All,
I replaced the pump as I believe it was the culprit (well the pressure relief value), but you cant buy that separately. When the valve doesn't hang up I have no problems, but when it does, truck is not drivable. The flush might have worked, but when will it hang up again. I cant risk having this go wrong when driving. It was the more expensive fix, but worth the $200 and time to fix in my opinion.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.