AAM slip yoke and u-joints?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down AAM slip yoke and u-joints??

Does anybody know the part number for the correct AAM slip yoke off a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4? Iíve been doing some research and I am even more confused now before I started. I was told NBS trucks have an AAM 1485 slip yoke that is unique in itself and the OBS trucks had a different one. Merchant Automotive has a Spicer one but i was told that one wont work and Spicer doesnít make one that fits because its .005 off or whatever and I can only use an AAM 1485 one.

Can someone tell me the exact part number for the part I need? I want the same exact slip yoke that came with my truck from the factory to prevent any problems. ThankS!!
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wforty94 View Post
Does anybody know the part number for the correct AAM slip yoke off a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4? Iíve been doing some research and I am even more confused now before I started. I was told NBS trucks have an AAM 1485 slip yoke that is unique in itself and the OBS trucks had a different one. Merchant Automotive has a Spicer one but i was told that one wont work and Spicer doesnít make one that fits because its .005 off or whatever and I can only use an AAM 1485 one.

Can someone tell me the exact part number for the part I need? I want the same exact slip yoke that came with my truck from the factory to prevent any problems. ThankS!!

Merchant doesn't have the spicer 1480 slip yoke on there website. They call it 1480 series, but with the price they are charging for it, its either an AAM 1485 piece, or a chinese Knock off 1480 trans slip yoke. Judging by the picture on there website, that an AAM 1485 series yoke. The AAM yokes have that step up near the ears that a damper presses onto for other applications.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
New to me GMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

if anybody is interested, it is 15897991 from GM
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
if anybody is interested, it is 15897991 from GM
Find an AAM distributor, it will probably be about half the money.
01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Live Moonshine tuned, Suncoast stage IV, Complete Kryptonite front end with PISK , 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas.

07 LMM LTZ CCSB. S475 over stock compounds, 40% over dipper sticks, Suncoast tranny by Freedom Diesel, Air Dog, ATP tuned.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

does anybody know if Spicer makes these AAM 1485 U-Joints?

might as well replace them while i am replacing the slip yoke but i don't want to pay the dealer for them. supposedly they are also AAM 1485 specific?? hoping Spicer makes a replacement for them
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
does anybody know if Spicer makes these AAM 1485 U-Joints?

might as well replace them while i am replacing the slip yoke but i don't want to pay the dealer for them. supposedly they are also AAM 1485 specific?? hoping Spicer makes a replacement for them
The only 1485 offering spicer has is axle joints ( inside lock).

When i use 1480 in place of 1485 series, i just used thin snap rings like these. American Ring and Tool - Specializing in snap rings, wire retaining rings, retaining rings, circlips, Eaton style, Belleville Disc Springs, Quarter Turn Lock Fasteners and Pins I would imagine you can find em at hardware stores and such. The only minor issue can be potential fitment in the rear diff yoke on a chevy. The majority of the time im replacing AAM unique stuff with Spicer joints is in dodges, which use a flange at the rear diff so it just gets snap rings all the way around.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

thanks for the info. the weird thing is i know people say the u-joints on the LMM(or any duramax) in general don't have grease fittings. well both the ones on my rear one piece aluminum driveshaft on my truck currently do and neither i or the original owner ever replaced them.

they seem perfectly fine but i just thought id replace them while i had the driveshaft out. guess i'll just change the yoke and reuse the u-joints.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
thanks for the info. the weird thing is i know people say the u-joints on the LMM(or any duramax) in general don't have grease fittings. well both the ones on my rear one piece aluminum driveshaft on my truck currently do and neither i or the original owner ever replaced them.

they seem perfectly fine but i just thought id replace them while i had the driveshaft out. guess i'll just change the yoke and reuse the u-joints.
Definitely have been replaced if they are greaseable, if they feel ok, send em.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:

I wouldn't bother replacing them, just regrease and go.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.