Snapped Pitman arm!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Snapped Pitman arm!!

Pulling into a parking spot today i heard a loud pop, so i stopped and then continued to pull into the spot and I realized I had no steering what so ever. I got out of the truck and took a look under the front and the stud on the pitman arm had completly snaped in half right at the crossover bar! Has anyone seen this before? I am just happy it happened in a parking lot and not 5 min earlier when i was doing 60 down the highway! As far as i know these are the stock pitman and idler arm on the truck, I do have the cognito braces. I didnt take pics but i will get some tomorrow while im replacing everything. I just find it hard to belive it snapped clean in half, there was never any sign that it was going bad I just checked everything about 1000 miles ago when I serviced it and there was no play in eithier the pitman or idler arm.
aFe stage 2 intake, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Transgo Jr, PPE Deep pan, EGR delete, PCV reroute, 6" RCD lift, 20" XD wheels, 35" Toyo AT2's, Cognito steering braces, Magnaflow DP, MBRP 3" Hot side intercooler pipe, AMP research steps, EFI Live tuned by SS Diesel Tuning

2006 Summit White LBZ CCSB 4x4
Leveled, 4" Diamond eye exhaust, Magnaflow DP, PCV reroute, EGR delete.
Lockedup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Glad to hear you were in a parking lot bud. Could of been a lot worse. Sub'd for pics and diagnosis

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT3, 6.6 Duramax LLY, 95k miles, EFI Live Idaho Rob, 4in Silverline Turbo Back, AFE Stage 2 Intake, 6in Fabtech, 35 Mickey Thompson ATZ tires on 17 ProComp rims, fully debadged, 10sub 800watts.
Jonesin33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
dat lly doe

Damn!!!!
Air Flow:finger vanes, ported turbine housing, BatMoWheel, losend unison ring, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched up-pipes
Exterior: Rear Reunel bumper, leveled tow mirrors, HIDs (all on mod), ADP tie-rod sleeves, green tinted headlamp housings
Interior: 2 12" memphis car audio subs, custom sealed box and 2000 watt memphis amp, LED interior, dash and door lights-green, cobalt autometer pyro and boost piller gauges
Best Time: 13.92 @ 95 mph 1.96 60 foot
Work In Progress: 1969 Chevy Nova, built turbo 350, 283ci small block est. 550hp with 7500 rpm redline, caltracs, 4.11 ford 9" rear end, dual 3"exhaust
chevylovinfordtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Thats nuts! Sub for pics.

2011 Sierra 2500HD CCSB LML (Buisness vehicle) - 4" Fabtec w/ DirtLogics, 35" micky Thompsons, 20" fuel boost rims - color matched cut out style
DieselLuver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

that sucks, glad it happened then and not going faster. in for pics as well
Originally Posted by Varty Yo View Post
My buddy had a roomba and his dog had shit on the carpet. Well the freaking thing mashed gooey shit all over the room all day long while the dog hid in the corner

SnafuPossum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

same exact thing happened to me luckly in a parking lot as well, backin into a parking spot and bang! steering was gone, apparently its a common thing with lifted trucks if you dont have the support braces which i have ordered and will install after im done with this tour...along with alot of other goodies!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I also snapped mine doing a three point turn ... Im now investing in alligator performances steering solution kit

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Custom traction bars-industrial injection twin kit s475
PCS powersteering-Frontier front bumper-Custom rear bumper--Sdp egr delete pipe--Batmowheel
Arp head studs--3 inch intercooler pipe
Pcv reroute-Edge cts monitor-Hid's 6000k-Sound system
Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Here's the pics, I really cant belive it sheared the stud.

aFe stage 2 intake, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Transgo Jr, PPE Deep pan, EGR delete, PCV reroute, 6" RCD lift, 20" XD wheels, 35" Toyo AT2's, Cognito steering braces, Magnaflow DP, MBRP 3" Hot side intercooler pipe, AMP research steps, EFI Live tuned by SS Diesel Tuning

Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

you think you might of over tightened things when you installed the braces and put to stress on the stud causing it to snap over time like wheel studs can do?
Originally Posted by Varty Yo View Post
My buddy had a roomba and his dog had shit on the carpet. Well the freaking thing mashed gooey shit all over the room all day long while the dog hid in the corner

SnafuPossum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnafuPossum View Post
you think you might of over tightened things when you installed the braces and put to stress on the stud causing it to snap over time like wheel studs can do?

It is very possible, I didnt install the braces it was done when the lift was installed by the PO. He had 4 wheel parts in Phoenix do the lift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.