Pitman arm removal - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Pitman arm removal

I just finished the ball joints and next is the Pitmen and idler arm does anybody have any how to's on this job/ I looked at it and it seems the cross member is in the way of it. Do you have to move the steering box? Any info would be nice.
Edge juice with attitude, 30% tint to match the back, Rhino liner, Clarion DVD flip out with navigation, (2) 10" Polk audio subs with a Sub thump behind the seat box powered by a Rockford fosgate 750w amp.
Scott 02 GMC Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

U can do everything from underneath
Take the skid pan off
Undo the steering shaft
Undo the lines
Take the centerlink off
Take out the 3 bolts that hold the steering gear in
Remove the steering gear
U will need a pitman arm puller to pull the arm
Reassemble in reverse order
I think that's it
Efi live egr delete 4 in silverline exhaust edge insight with egt probe b&w turn over with companion 5 wheel hitch air bags cat adapter from alligator performance magnaflow dp ad2 165 all on mod sulastic shackles body mounts

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
pud383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

On the Pitman arm I bought a puller and cut the bolt and threaded it in from the opposite side of the puller and used a box wrench to turn the bolt. This allowed me to fit the puller on the pitman arm without unbolting the steering gear box. I have read that you can cause leaks in the lines on the steering box if you unbolt it and start moving it around. There is a thread here somewhere with pics of a modified puller. I will try to find it and post a link.....
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

And every one I've done ya need to get an impact on there. I haven't broke one loose yet even with a breaker bar. Seems like the pitman arm puller would break before it pops lose without the impact
Performance:Batmostocker with machined exhaust housing, 4" straight pipe, MBRP downpipe, LML Manifold, AFE intake, AFE mp, SDP EGR Delete, PCV reroute, H&S fuel rail plug, Airdog 2 165, Sleeved & supported, Caltracs, Edge Insight CS w/ EGT probe, CP3 mod, LBZ fpr, EFI LIVE DSP5, Built STAGE V w/ S/C 1057, Fleece Tapshifter
Head Gaskets and ARP studs by me at 150,000 miles 06/30/13
8.19@83.95 1/8th mile
mattsmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Pitman Arm removal

There is a picture on the link above of a modified puller. Forgot to mention I cut a slot in the side of the pitman arm to make it easier to remove. If you decide to cut be careful not to get into the splined shaft on the steering gear box.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I'm getting ready to do my ball joints when I replace the centerlink and everything attached to it. Did you just remove the cv shaft to get at the lower ones? Did you end up replacing the whole upper arm or just the upper joints?
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I did mine with out a puller. I cut the side of the pitman arm that was facing the front of the truck with A cut off wheel to partially slice it open. But don't cut through. Then use an air hammer with a chisel bit to split it the rest of the way. Never unbolted the steering box either. You have to use what you can. I did the idler arm, inner tie rods and outer tie rods today. Then aligned it. Stabilizer coming on Monday.

06 silverado 2500 LT3, lbz/allison ccsb 4x4, painted tow mirrors and handles, Hankook dynamic mt, ppe economy tuner, straight mbrp 4" w/5" stainless tip, mbrp down pipe, remote start, high idle mod, meyer 7 1/2 snow plow, rhino liner, curt 18k class V, valley 16k fifth wheel hitch, draw tite hide-a-ball gooseneck hitch

12 gmc 3500 cclb denali dually, linex, b&w gooseneck hitch
Lbzmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I just replaced inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and idler pivot, all without any air tools. My pitman arm came off quite easy. I bout a $15 puller and a $1 grade 8 5/8x18x2 inch bolt and threaded it backwards for clearance. Keep in mind that the puller will be steady applying pressure to the pitman arm so if yours is stuck on there pretty good, just crank it with your box end wrench and let it sit a few seconds and keep cranking and itll pop right off. Also, there is no need to take your centerlink off to replace your pitman arm. It will have to be disconnected from your centerlink of course but no need for removal of the centerlink.
2007 Chevy Classic CCSB 4x4 LT. PPE Economy Programmer, AiRaid Cold Air Intake, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Nicktane CAT Fuel Filter Adapter, PCV re-route, EGR blocked. Tie Rod Sleeves, All Moog Problem Solver front end, Upgraded Transmission lines.
tddlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

what brand did you replace them with? where did you purchase the new parts?
LLY,6 INCH LIFT,FOX SHOCKS WITH REMOTE RESEVOIRS,MOOG PITMAN ARM & IDLER ARM,FABTECH TIE RODS,REAR AIRBAGS,18 INCH BOYD CODDINGTON RIMS,12.50X35 OPEN COUNTRY TOYO'S,CAT REMOVED,DEBADGE,5" EXHAUST AND MONSTER MUFFLER,AFE MP,DEEP TRANS PAN,EARL'S LARGER TRANS COOLER,LARGE FLUIDYNE OIL COOLER,AFE COLD AIR INTAKE,AFE MP,3 DOWNPIPE,CUSTOM MADE AIR SCOOP,ONBOARD AIR,TRAINHORN.CTS MONITOR,AUTOMETER PYRO GAUGE, DOUBLE LIMO TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND,6K HID HEADLIGHTS,REMOTE ELECTRIC BEDLOCKER,ELECTRIC TAILGATE LOCK,REVERSE LED LIGHTS
surprise duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

i replaced with moog problem solver brand. I ordered all but the idler pivot from rockauto.com and got my pivot from dmaxstore. you'll have to look and see if your pitman arm is a 3 or 4 spline before u order it. the nut holding it on is a 1 5/16". just take it off and see how many splines it is.
2007 Chevy Classic CCSB 4x4 LT. PPE Economy Programmer, AiRaid Cold Air Intake, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Nicktane CAT Fuel Filter Adapter, PCV re-route, EGR blocked. Tie Rod Sleeves, All Moog Problem Solver front end, Upgraded Transmission lines.
tddlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.