Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2012 GMC Sierra 2500

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dougmac 
#1 ·
Brand new 2012 GMC diesel dually... bought to tow a gooseneck trailer. I broke it in gently for 10k miles. Then when I hooked up and loaded my gooseneck car hauler, it had a violent drivetrain vibration under heavy load. The dealer can't fix it! They say GMC is working on the problem! Meanwhile, the truck is useless for doing what it was designed for. I'm concerned it will rip itself apart. Should I pursue the lemon law on this one? (Sierra Truck HD Denali 6.6L V8 Turbodiesel)

#2 ·
GM has had a driveline shutter/vibration problem with some vehicles since the 70s. I remember they tried shimming the rear axle with tapered shims, and others adding a spacer block under the trans mount. It helped some, but there was no, "one stop" fix.

All you can do is hope the dealer comes up with a solution. If you have a good 4X4 shop in your area, you might have them take a look at it-- they do run into the same problem with lifted trucks.

The Lemon law has limits on miles, dealer visits, and others, which can vary by state. Might Google for more info.

#3 ·
Moved to Drivetrain

#4 ·
Do you have a one piece or two piece driveline?

I would guess that they have checked the u-joints and carrier bearing for problems as a first step?

Has the dealer done a work-up of the driveline angles with the loaded trailer connected to the truck? Because the symptoms show up loaded and are not present unloaded, the change in driveline angle from compressing the suspension is something worth investigating as a cause. Along with that they should also check for phasing problems.

If the angles are all correct, the next step for me would be to send the driveline out for balancing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.