Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Only one front tire in 4x4????

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ty_LBZ 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed before. I did some searching and seemed to find 10 answers to the same question.

I'm new to duramax. Had a 12v, Jeep Cherokee, and f150. All 4x4. They each had their issues but when in 4x4 both fronts would "lock" in. Both pulling at the same time regardless of traction. All had obvious front wheel hop if in 4x4 on dry pavement.

So today I had my recently purchased 2005 gmc 2500 duramax pulling a 10k gooseneck horse trailer, which it pulled with ease. It was wet and kinda soft. I stopped on a slight incline in the grass. Stuck. Put in 4x4hi and 4x4lo while in neutral. Start to spin. Shocked it didn't just pull right out as I had 1 front tire on part of a gavel drive. Both back tires spun and of course the driver side front that was in the grass. Eventually got out with some spinning and back and forth. Front passenger tire never spun and sure didn't seem to do any pulling.

So is that normal. Have read both yes and no today from many different forums. I hope it's not because that will suck come winter time.

Thank you in advance

#2 ·
My 09 F150 platinum is the same way in 4x4.

#4 ·
It's normal, most stock 4WD trucks don't have positive traction on the front wheels or they would be extremely hard to drive.

#6 ·
I've owned at least 20 4X4 trucks and none had positive traction on the front end, now jeep did have the quadra-trac but it had to be activated. Some of the newer vehicles may have the ability to send power to the wheel that slips as does most AWD vehicles do now, but most trucks no.

#8 ·
Some of the newer vehicles use the ABS system to send power to all 4 wheels without using a limited slip differential. AFAIK these trucks and most heavy duty pickups don't do this yet. It's normal with an open differential to only have 3 wheels spinning, sometimes a little tapping on the brake pedal can get enough power to the lazy wheel to get the truck moving.

#9 ·
I buried my truck last winter down to my rear diff. When I was playing around trying to get out of the mud ALL 4 wheels where spinning. In both 4wd high and 4wd low. Just my experience. I was outside the truck watching and my buddy was driving so I saw it with my own eyes.

#10 ·
^^^Probably had equal traction on the front tires which both would spin in that situation, put one on the grass and one on gravel or pavement and see.

#11 ·
Normal, open differential up front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.