Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Gears ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SpitzoMT 
#1 ·
Hey all. Just more or less a curiosity question here.

Is there a specific reason that 4.10 gears are not offered in Chevy/GMC HD's ??

#2 ·
4.10 is offered in HD gasser trucks.

#4 ·
I do know that. Should have been more specific I guess & stated duramax powered HD trucks.

#5 ·
That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure.

#6 ·
Since the redline, torque peak and power peak on gas engines is at a higher rpm, it works better to keep them reved up a little higher. Since the torque peak is at a lower RPM on turbo diesels, it makes perfect sense to gear a diesel for lower RPM under all conditions.

A turbo diesel needs to be run at an RPM that it can work hard at. That puts it in a position to pull the steep hills without having to shift down and keeps the exhaust cleaner. That doesn't matter to many people here but the factory boys have to worry about the gov looking over their shoulders.

All in all the manufacturers figure what they have given us is the best all around. That doesn't mean it is the best for you though. If you pull big loads at low speeds then perhaps lower speed gears would be better for you.

#7 ·
Thank you kind sir !! Great explanation.....makes sense to me now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.