Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

DMAX Store Shoutout - Transfer Case

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Roddd 
#1 ·
So the guys at the DMax Store hooked me up. My old transfer case melted hauling a horse trailer from Elko back to Reno. I called around to 3 local shops and no one here (Reno) seemed to know about the pump-rub issue. You really think I'm dropping $1,500-$2k on a part that has a well-known failure point that you know nothing about? How do I know if your rebuilt one has the 'fix?' And I was told that if I did buy a rebuilt one from one of those shops and opened it up to install the pump-rub kit it'd void the warranty! Screw that. So I drove over the hill to the Dmax Store to pick up a replacement. The guys were knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I knew I was at the right place when the wife and I pulled into the parking lot and every vehicle (there were at least 15 trucks) is a Duramax of some year or configuration.
I was surprised to see the new unit came with a new speed sensor. It did not come with the 3 wiring harness brackets, the transfer case/transmission gasket or fluid (heh). I've got about a 1,000 miles on the new unit and it's awesome. Thanks guys!

Here's the whole album:
Transfer Case Project - Album on Imgur

Note - the pics of the 'old' xfer case in this album are of a working case that I'm swapping. Two trucks - truck 1 melts xfer case. Truck 2 does heavier hauling for longer distances. Take melted case, exchange for new DMax rock-crusher. Swap out new case into truck 2, take working case from truck 2, clean it up, put in MA pump rub kit and install into truck 1). Few hours extra work but I rely on my diesel dually to haul an awful lot more than my 3/4-ton sb 8.1/Ally gasser. Yes... the xfer cases were the same and yes, I was completely stoked about that.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Umm... no. Aaand now I'm thinking I may be headed back under the truck(s). Should I have? The existing mounts didn't look cracked or destroyed. Is there an issue with them that I haven't read up on yet?

#4 ·
Don't see the mileage but considering the age and what you use the truck for that's one item I would have replaced. There is not a design problem with the mount that I'm aware of it's just the way I see things.

I was inspecting my truck after I purchased getting ready to drive to California and noticed the carrier bearing was dry rotted and cracked pretty bad at 37,000 miles in 2013 so I by instinct I would have replaced it no matter what it looked like in your case. I always suspect rubber bushing mounts especially with the weight and torque it is handling....

After I replaced the carrier bearing my mirrors stopped vibrating and I had no seat of the pants vibration whatsoever...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.