Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Response to being thanked for service

16K views 78 replies 57 participants last post by  KenW56148 
#1 ·
I've talked to some of the guys I work with about this, but would love to hear what some of you guys have to say.

When someone finds out you are military and thanks you for your service, how do you generally respond?

The situation kinda feels awkward usually. I'm just never sure what to say. The obvious response would be "you're welcome", but it doesn't feel right. The best response I think I have come up with was a "Thank you for your support".

The thing for me is that I am being thanked for doing my job. And this isn't the kind of thanks you give to the drive through worker at Mc'Ds for not messing up your order. It's a truly heartfelt thank you from people that respect and love what we do.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I've talked to some of the guys I work with about this, but would love to hear what some of you guys have to say.

When someone finds out you are military and thanks you for your service, how do you generally respond?

The situation kinda feels awkward usually. I'm just never sure what to say. The obvious response would be "you're welcome", but it doesn't feel right. The best response I think I have come up with was a "Thank you for your support".

The thing for me is that I am being thanked for doing my job. And this isn't the kind of thanks you give to the drive through worker at Mc'Ds for not messing up your order. It's a truly heartfelt thank you from people that respect and love what we do.

Thoughts?

Exactly how I feel....I don't get upset or anything, just kind of annoys me.

#3 ·
i normally respond(ed) with a simple " thank you." now whether its taken as thank you for your support, or thank you for actually thanking me (which happens less frequently) is up to the person receiving the thank you! IMO

#5 ·
I usually say that and that I appreciate the support.

But in all honest, I mostly get annoyed by it as well. Mostly because there are a lot of military folk who talk it up and make it act like the rest of the population owes them something.

I mean we already have two holidays dedicated to us.

#6 ·
Whenever someone thanked me for my service I always responded you are welcome and then Thank you for your support.
I did not expect people to thank me but it was nice to know that there are people out there that really appreciate the armed forces.

On the other hand I also am very good about thanking that McDonalds drive through worker. After I order and they give me the total I always say thank you. Because I do appreciate what they are doing. I always get a chuckle out of some of their responses because a lot of times they don't know how to act when getting thanked.

#8 ·
It seems like the time I get thanked most often is when I am visiting my parents. I rarely ask for a military discount. But my mom has no problem asking for me. Then the person on the recieving end of that question usually thanks me.

Don't get me wrong, I always thank the cashier or fast food worker (I was that guy before). It's the polite thing to do. But it's not quite the same.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that finds the situation a little uncomfortable, though happy/proud there are those out there that do support us and are willing to tell us so.

The reason I posted this is because I was at the truck stop here in town filling up (in uniform cuz I just got off work, though i rarely head around town in it), and some trucker caught me with a handshake and thank you right when I turned around from the counter.

#9 ·
The folks at the VA always say the "Thank you for your service" line, however I often think they have done much more than I ever did.
Routine civilians don't often say that to me. I just reply with a "Thanks".
As stated above, saying "Thank you" was a basic fact of life back where I came up, we were taught to always be polite to others.
You get back a LOT in return for that and a smile sometimes!

#10 · (Edited)
Guys as an outsider of the service here is how I feel.

You don't thank someone who makes your burger or washes your car with the same sincerity as you do a person who

1. Volunteered to serve the country you love and live in
&
2. Risk their life to secure & protect the freedoms you get to take advantage of everyday.

it may seem awkward to accept the thanks or being thanked to do your job but it makes the other person feel great knowing they conveyed their support and thanks for people like you who didn't have to do what you do, you wanted to.

and Thanks for your service guys

Reactions: Sicazlmm
#25 ·
Guys as an outsider of the service here is how I feel.

You don't thank someone who makes your burger or washes your car with the same sincerity as you do a person who

1. Volunteered to serve the country you love and live in
&
2. Risk their life to secure & protect the freedoms you get to take advantage of everyday.

it may seem awkward to accept the thanks or being thanked to do your job but it makes the other person feel great knowing they conveyed their support and thanks for people like you who didn't have to do what you do, you wanted to.

and Thanks for your service guys
Will finally say something senseable and i totally agree.:thumb

I was recently at a marines wedding. and there were quite a few gentlemen in uniform and in conversations I would thank them for their service. and they almost all replied no thanks needed just doing my job.

here is the way I see it, being a non military man myself....

in my line of work I do my job and don't expect or require anyone to thank me...but when someone does, its nice. and ill always reply just like the marines did. but its still nice to know your hard work is appreciated

now, in my line of work there is little chance that ill be shot at or blown up. the way I see it is whether or not you're "just doing your job" you military guys are put there for the most part risking your ass killing some motherfucking terrorists so I can go to sleep at night feeling safe.

so...whether you like it or nor......THANK YOU TO ALL THE ARMED SERVICEMEMBERS

:DRINK
Well said!:thumb

I usually get a tingly feeling from telling a military man thank you, because it really comes from the bottom of my heart. I think about it all the time when coming out of high school i wanted to join the Marines. I talked to recruiter, but I didn't go and decided to go get drunk and party all the time. I think our military give up way more than regular folks in their job. I know you all think it's just a job to serve your country, but some people think it's more than that, considering all the things you have to give up to dedicate your life to a country, that sometimes, doesn't always appreciate ya'll. So that being said: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!:drink

#11 ·
The reason I thank service men and women is because they are able to do what I can not do serve our country. My cousin is in the Navy, step brother and great friend are both in the Air Force and I thank them every chance I get.

Its hard to stand and watch and think that I can not be next too them because of my medical issues.

There was a gentlemen on a flight in first class with me and when he saw a soldier get on he stood up and gave him his seat and said this is the least I can do to thank you for your service. Everyday since if I get the chance I will do the same.

#12 ·
I usually reply with a "Thank you sir/mam".
I usually let the person know who thanks me that the real support is from the people back home.

#13 ·
I was recently at a marines wedding. and there were quite a few gentlemen in uniform and in conversations I would thank them for their service. and they almost all replied no thanks needed just doing my job.

here is the way I see it, being a non military man myself....

in my line of work I do my job and don't expect or require anyone to thank me...but when someone does, its nice. and ill always reply just like the marines did. but its still nice to know your hard work is appreciated

now, in my line of work there is little chance that ill be shot at or blown up. the way I see it is whether or not you're "just doing your job" you military guys are put there for the most part risking your ass killing some motherfucking terrorists so I can go to sleep at night feeling safe.

so...whether you like it or nor......THANK YOU TO ALL THE ARMED SERVICEMEMBERS

:DRINK

#14 · (Edited)
Makes me feel a little uneasy and i usually respond with "Appreciate it" or something along those lines

#15 ·
Just came off recruiting duty in a very pro-military area. I got stopped all the time with people thanking me. It doesn't annoy me at all. I just say thanks back.
Think of the warriors coming back fron the Nam. The were not as lucky as us in today's military. They got shit on. Anytime I see someone with a Nam, Korea, WWII hat on, I take the time to shake their hand and thank them for there service. I know they didnt have A/C or pizza hut while deployed. Had it way worse than anyone currently serving.
Though they did have hookers. I would have loved to have had some poon.

Bottom line, dont feel annoyed or uneasy. Feel thankful that you had the opportunity to serve and know that people are supporting you. And be sure to thank the Vets before us.

#16 ·
Very well put Will!! and totally agree with thanking those who have served before us... I guess thats why i feel uneasy because i know all previous vets had it a shit ton harder than MOST do now... no PX, skype, pizza hut or green beans on the fobs just things like that.... they deserve the props a lot more in my eyes.

#17 ·
Green Bean? When the f did they get those?

#19 ·
They were effin everywhere when John and I went the last time 08-09

#18 ·
its annoying because once someone finds out your military they feel obligated to say it so you dont really know if its heartfelt or not. they say it so u dont get mad or offended for them not saying anything

#20 ·
I don't neccessarily see it that way. The truck stop I fueled up at is on the freeway. Although this is a military town, there are many out of towners that don't see someone in uniform everyday stopping in. The trucker that said thanks seemed sincere, whereas I noticed multiple people looking at me that didn't say anything.
Each time I have been thanked, it felt sincere and heartfelt. Most people don't say anything, so the fact that someone does step up and say it leads me to believe they wanted to, not just felt obligated.

#22 ·
here's the difference between your job and a civilian job, and there's really no way around it....sacrifice and commitment. your job requires a level of both that no civilian job can equal and that is why people thank you (or should if they don't)

#23 ·
I always say thank you for your support but also a reason I won't fly in uniform, I feel like a prego girl and everyone wants to rub my tummy I like the fact that people support us but at the same time its not like we do it for free and we do get 30 vaca days a year

#26 ·
When I came back from the Navy and Vietnam nobody was thanking anyone in the military. More likely you would be scolded for not going to Canada. So today, when it comes up (rarely) I unually say, "Thanks I appreciate it, but it would of been nice to have heard that in 1970."

#29 ·
Ran in to this again just the other day. Doesn't happen so much when I'm around home station, but i'm tdy right now not around other af personnel.

I'm with you guys, I appreciate the support but it seems to be almost embarrassing sometimes. Like I'm just doing my job, you know? And it's not like we don't get paid well for our jobs. however, like I said i do enjoy the kind words, just feel they are slightly unnecessary. I usually just respond with a "proud to do it; thank you very much for your support"

#31 ·
I agree that everytime someone says thank you for your service to me I get an awkward feeling. I usually respond with "thank you for your support" it seems like the best response to me because the people saying thank you are the ones we are fighting for and it is good to know we have their support.

#32 ·
I also feel awkward when someone says it to me but I usually respond with a just a thank you.

I get adults all the time say it to me. But before I left for Saudi I was at buffalo wild wings and there was group of I say 14-15 yr old girls and they kept staring at me and 1 of them came over and thanked me and shook my hand. I was at a loss not too often you get a kid with their friends thank you. I didn't know what to do. After she walked off me and the wife talked we paid for her meal $6. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but I was totally caught off guard with that situation

#33 ·
I also feel awkward when someone says it to me but I usually respond with a just a thank you.

I get adults all the time say it to me. But before I left for Saudi I was at buffalo wild wings and there was group of I say 14-15 yr old girls and they kept staring at me and 1 of them came over and thanked me and shook my hand. I was at a loss not too often you get a kid with their friends thank you. I didn't know what to do. After she walked off me and the wife talked we paid for her meal $6. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but I was totally caught off guard with that situation
Epic!!! Nice to know all these youngins ain't all spoiled brats!!:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.