Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Third deployment - check!

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Brownman 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sitting at Manas Air Base, on the way home from Afghanistan. I've completed my third and final tour. Iraq - once, and twice to trashcanistan. I've decided to call it quits for a couple of reasons. 1: I'd have to leave Alaska if I were to re-up again, and that aint happening. 2: (and more importantly) I've been in just under 7 years and I've been away from home more than half of that time. I have five kids ages 12 and under who need their father back. I've decided I've given enough of my time to Uncle Sam, and it's time to give some to my family now. I'll never regret enlisting, and my service is something I'll always be proud of. It's time for a change though. The rest of you who continue to serve - stay safe, and THANK YOU.

#2 ·
I agree life is short-- and the family needs you. You have paid your share.

Thank you for your service, and keeping us safe. Hope your life is blessed in the future. Jerry

#3 · (Edited)
Congrats Man, I wish i had the heart to stay in for 7, As soon as my 4 1/2 are done im out! Ive got 2 months left in first one year tour of afghan land. And the idea of never coming back here is a must! Hope the best for you and your family, Take care and peace out!

#4 ·
First I want to say thank you for your service and to have a safe trip home to your family. :drink

I am about 6 weeks from heading to Manas and can't freaking wait to get out of this place!

Second thing is to stand behind the decision you feel is best. Don't let anyone try to talk you into something you don't want to do or don't feel is right. I never liked it when people above me tried to do it and I made a rule to never talk a Soldier below me into re-enlisting when they didn't want to. Stick to your guns!
You can always put the uniform back on again if you decide. The Guard or Reserve may have options for you as well near your home.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks Gents, and SGM - not to worry. I'm far too stubborn to let anyone talk me into something I don't want. My plan is to use the GI bill to go to flight school. There's a large percentage of pilots in AK who are nearing retirement, so it's a good time to get into the aviation industry.

#6 ·
I got home from Manas 2 months ago. I sometimes feel like I live there, and go TDY to home. Anyway, when I think about it, I dont have it nearly as bad as you guys who keep getting sent to asscrackistan. I honestly feel for you, and totally respect the sacrifices you guys have to make. Good luck on your trips home. Stay safe. Oh, and just a little info for ya. As you board that C-17 to get outta Kyrgyzstan, if by chance you see some Air Force guys walk to the jet with a small tool bag and drills etc.... The jet is most likely not as broke as he likes to make it seem. I myself have played up on it, because its sorta funny to see some of the guys freak out that I am drilling holes in the airplane they are about to board. I know..... sorta messed up. Anyway, good luck.

#8 ·
That's funny.
But I'd be careful about your little tricks.
You may come across an Infantry Soldier with no sense of humor! He may take that drill from you and instead of putting it back in your tool bag, he may put it in a place that would make it very uncomfortable to sit down! :eeek:

Now that there would really be funny.:rofl

#10 ·
Thank you for your service

#11 ·
Thank you for your service...I hope your civilian life plans work out for you

#14 ·
Thanks gents - I just made it home this morning. Time to hang with my wife and kids and get some wrenches turning on the DMAX!

#15 ·
Thank you to everyone in the service sacrificing so much for everyone back home. Wish everyone a quick, safe deployment and trip home, and the best of luck in the future. God Bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.