Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which setting is better?

11K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  jmm0428 
#1 ·
I have EFI live, 100hp. The tunes are stock, economy, light tow, heavy tow and performance. I figured economy was the way to go for mpg. However a guy at work claims that if you run 5,or the performance tune you'll get the best mpg. Better than the economy. Truth or idiot?

#5 ·
With a bunch more HP available and a man even a woman being able resist keeping their foot out of it. :rofl

If a little better mileage is more important than your trans and engines possible longer life, then by all means max that suckers HP out.:wink2: >:)

I wouldn't add more than 60 hp max, but that's me, I'm old and this will be my last diesel truck purchase.
Next on my list will be a electric golf cart. :thumb

Reactions: Deway2go
#6 ·
Wow I'm surprised by the common answer it support him honestly...

#7 ·
I have EFI live but do not know what tunes I have because I bought the truck used. I am trying out each tune under normal commuting conditions. I am getting 13.2mpg on my 4 mile commute with stop and go and highway combined.
I can keep you updated as I try out the other 4 positions on the switch dial.

#8 ·
That's crazy to me! Why even have economy then? Lol if there is another setting that does its job better...

#9 ·
I've never understood it either but most everyone reports the same thing. Maybe the bigger tunes bring on more torque earlier, getting the truck up to speed with lower revs, which gives better mileage. It might also be the hotter tunes get more development time / refinement.

#11 ·
My best MPG comes from my optimized stock tune (20hp).

#13 ·
Stop and go will kill the mileage, and short trips, climate, altitude, idling all affect the mileage.
You really should base it on highway driving.
I'm now getting around 13 city/very little highway if I'm lucky.

#14 ·
I've ran on big and small tunes with my cruise set and grandpa habits, I saw no change between my 90 and 150 tune, and worse on my 230 tune.

Maybe my trucks broken or something, but that's what I have personally seen from watching my mileage and driving like a sane white man.

#15 ·
I feel where the better mileage comes into play with big tunes is on the open highway, not so much around town with stop and go driving.

Adding above 90hp is a risk of trans issues and usually the need of a lift pump, even more of a risk driving like you stollen it.

#16 ·
From experience, while the big tune does give me a bit more mpg, the cost of the tickets, defensive driving, and deferred adjudication have far exceeded the saving on fuel.

#17 ·
I wonder how many of these mileage claims are hand calculated and how many are going off of the DIC?
I agree with D_R_C, I do get better mpg's on the open hiway on the higher HP tunes, a lot higher if you use the DIC, but only slightly higher if you do the math. I don't see a lot of difference on any of the tunes on short trips. I try to stay out of town at all cost! Having said all of that, I have been running the econotow tune (120 hp, I think) for the past month and I averaged 21.1 mpg, hand calculated, for the month. I towed very little this month and most of my driving is either on the interstate or on rural roads. I usuall drive about 5 mph over the posted limits.
Doc

#18 ·
Up here in the north, our roads are up and down mountains and at higher elevations. That's what I contribute to lacking mileage at least. We are set to go on another road trip, we we'll see if there's any change. I'm usually right around 18mpg on the highway, 15-16 mixed and 12 in town. I've been writing all my mileage down the last few months, like I did when I bought my truck. I'll have to do some converting and compare.

#19 ·
I'm trying to decide on who to get my DSP5 tune from but last Aug I had to take a trip to KC Mo from OKC and I was shocked I got 19.3 mpg in my bone stock LMM on 35's empty at a average of 70-75 mph and that is hand calculated ....best I did coming home was 18 mpg.

#21 ·
It has its benefits and its pitfalls.:gearjamin:gearjamin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.