Duramax cold weather tips? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax cold weather tips?

Just purchaced a 05 duramax dually 4x4. Its a real clean truck with only 70k so I really dont want to drive it much during the winter. Id rather beat up my 2wd 00 Silverado. My question is...can I leave the block heater plugged in for long periods of time? If the snow does get bad I will use the dually because of the 4wd. Does anyone use a trans heater like some racers use to pre heat the oil. Moroso sells a blanket that sticks to the oil pan. Is it a good idea to purchace this heater? I notice that the trans takes a long time to come up to temperature. What is everyone else doing? What about desel additives? What should I add to the desel to stop it from going skunky when it gets cold. Is there anything else I should do that I haven't mentioned? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
cratecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Talking

Welcome..You don't need the block heater unless below zero IIRC. don't see many single digits here.But the Dmax id designed to start quickly than most before it!Fast acting glow plug system helps a lot.Guys on here have been sub-zero and never plugged their's in!!
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

winter front it nice. if it really cold id recommend plugging it in but i always plug mine in if its not in the garages (its heated). also always have a extra fuel filter and wrench in the pickup and a jug of 911.
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

where does everyone plug there truck in...ive heard of people doing it because its too cold to start, but i dont no where the plug in thing is??
M/A Tranny w/ Precision ML converter ,ATS 4000, 5" ATS CAI, Carrillo Rods, Cut/Coated Pistons, Keyed Crank/Cam, Balanced, H Series Bearings, ARP Head/Main Studs, 35% CP3, AIRDOG-II 165 w/ cat filters, Nicktane, MA Mounts, Cognitos, Sleeves, 4" Straight Pipe, Merchant Pump Rub, Bilstein 5100's, Cobalt Boost/Pyro/Fuel, 8000k's, Duratracs 285/75/16, JVC Head Unit,Memphis Speakers, 10" Pioneer @ 1000w...

YOUTUBE Channel of Pulls, Races, Launches, etc: YOUTUBE CHANNEL
-Dillon Student at Michigan Tech University studying Mech & Elec Engineering
550racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550racer View Post
where does everyone plug there truck in...ive heard of people doing it because its too cold to start, but i dont no where the plug in thing is??
there is a cord under the hood on the air intake side. its probably wrapped up still under the radiator flood bottle. just look under there and youll find it.
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Welcome Crate.
I just purchased a Duramax Dually myself.. Lets see some pictures if ya got em
2 9" LCD Screens
17" Alcoa Rims
Some kinda airbags (Not sure the name)
Banks1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

so whats a jug of 911? Desel? So i shouldn't be adding any anti gel additive or anything like that? What are you using for a filter wrench? I need all this stuff because I do alot of towing and don't want to get stranded.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

911 is just a brand of anti gel additive. How cold does it get where your at? I never plug mine in, but the coldest it gets here on average is in the teens at night. Very seldom will we see any single digits.

:rockin2010 Camaro SS LS3 426 HP:rockin
BigRedChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratecamaro View Post
so whats a jug of 911? Desel? So i shouldn't be adding any anti gel additive or anything like that? What are you using for a filter wrench? I need all this stuff because I do alot of towing and don't want to get stranded.

Thanks
911 you add after you start gelling, it will get you a ways to a warm stop to change you filter, im many caes it will get you all the way home. its great stuff and works miracles. as for a filter wrench i have a closed and open end one. i also carry alot of tools wiht my in the winter to.
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

im in canada...niagara falls way...and sometimes it does get cold here. I just don't want to have any problems. I like to start them and go. I don't mind working on my race cars...i hate working on my tow vehicles. I guess i'll have to cross the boarder and get some 911 because ive never seen it here. Im assuming Pep Boys will carry something like that. I was reading some posts about the fuel filter changing being a pain. I looked under the hood and it looks like a breeze to me. No moving air condit. lines or nothing...its right there. Should I fill the filter with diesel before I reinstall the new one. Does this make it easier to prime?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.