EZ Lift Tailgate - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

EZ Lift Tailgate

Hello All;

My searches returned no results, so I have a potentially stupid question.
How do I know if I have an EZ lift tailgate?
My build sheet says I have one, but I bought my truck used, and I have a feeling that my tailgate may have been changed for a standard one. I watched the Line-X installer put my tailgate back on, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of mechanisms making it "EZ". Also some other evidence I noticed is a dent in the rear bumper which looks like it comes from backing up too tight with a bumper pull trailer. So maybe the EZ tailgate was damaged in the same event and changed.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
HJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I think that means that the tailgate is just really light. My boss's tundra says the same thing, and the only thing special about it is that it weighs like 15lbs

Sent from my driver's seat
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

you can tell since you can move it with one finger and the ez lift have a locking gate.

www.NorCalTruck.com & Rigid Ind. FTW!
gregert12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Has a lock, but definitely can't lift with 1 finger.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

It's because you have a bed liner. It's super heavy

Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Wasn't particularly easy before the line-x either. I saw a video on YouTube (with no sound) illustrating the EZ lift but it's animated and hard to understand. Looks like there's a spring inside the tailgate. Maybe i'll just stop by the dealership and ask to see one.
Thanks for your replies guys!
HJ
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

You bet. Good luck on your adventure!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Is it easy to lift?

Seriously, mine has a coil spring on the hinge. It's much (noticibly) easier to lift than my friend's non-EZ Lift.
Muddy Tires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
Wasn't particularly easy before the line-x either. I saw a video on YouTube (with no sound) illustrating the EZ lift but it's animated and hard to understand. Looks like there's a spring inside the tailgate. Maybe i'll just stop by the dealership and ask to see one.
Thanks for your replies guys!
HJ
i have an '11 HD2500. I also bought used. I am wondering the exact same thing because my tailgate sits low on the hinge and i first thought i was missing a bushing in the left hinge of the tailgate. Strange that the tailgate sits so loosely on the pin...anyway, i went to my local dealer and looked at the diagrams in the part department and i noticed mine didnt have the torque rod...i dont know if that is standard, but the diagram suggests that the torque rod mates with the hinge pin on the side panels of the truck for a tighter fit. I will know more when i go by the dealers today to see if it fits. if not, i will be sorely disappointed in the fit of this tailgate. i cant believe GM intentionally designed it to have that much slop.
fundygundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I have the EZ Lift tailgate as well. All that means is that it is a little lighter and easier to lift up than the older metal tailgates. Doesn't feel that it takes a lot of work to lift. If I were a betting man, it probably is just a gimmick that GM came up with for an added fee.

2008 GMC 2500HD LMM SLT CC SB 4x4 Z71
Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Georgia Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.