Homemade Truck Steps - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Homemade Truck Steps

After hearing my wife complain about having a hard time getting in the truck as she gets further along in the pregnancy, I decided I needed to get some steps. I like the looks of the nfabs or gorhinos but I dont like the mounts. I know they work fine or they would be selling them, but its just not for me. So Saturday I went and picked up some pipe to build mine own. Im using 2.5" for the main bar and 1.25" for the steps. Its Sch. 40 pipe and yes its going to be heavy. If I had a tubing bender, I would of went with thin wall tubing, but I dont. Heres a couple pics of the progress so far...

Welding up the first one.

The left one is pretty close to be done (except for mounting brackets) and the right one is just tacked in place.

Mocked up on the truck.

The door steps have a 12" flat surface before the bends and the bed steps have 7".

I will be mounting these to the frame like another set that was built on here, some pipe or square tubing ran straight to the frame with a plate on the and bolted to the frame.

Also, the plan as of now is to bed line them. I figure the bedliner will cover up some of the imperfections in the welds lol. Or I may grind all the welds completely smooth and have them PC'd red and do black bedliner on the straight part of the steps.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

After seeing these pictures big, I have realized my iphone does not take good pictures with the lifeproof case. Maybe i need to do some cleaning on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Turned out pretty nice!

2011 Sierra 2500HD CCSB LML (Buisness vehicle) - 4" Fabtec w/ DirtLogics, 35" micky Thompsons, 20" fuel boost rims - color matched cut out style
DieselLuver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I got me one of them plastic step stools from Walmart and drilled me a big ol hole in it an tied a rope on that sucker to mommas door handle. When she want to get in she jus throw the stool down an hop in an pull the stool in by the rope. So far it work every time.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Green 1978 Camper Special with a maroon camper shell, Mack bulldog hood ornament, dancing hula girl on the dash, plaid seat covers, cow magnets on the fuel line, 3 Little Trees air fresheners on the rear view, wide mudflaps with them chromium nekked girls, 7 foot CB whip, some fancy cab lights I got down to the swap meet and some panties under the seat
ALLY Cat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks. Its been a fun project for sure and its still not over. And I have a feeling these wont be the last ones we build.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
I got me one of them plastic step stools from Walmart and drilled me a big ol hole in it an tied a rope on that sucker to mommas door handle. When she want to get in she jus throw the stool down an hop in an pull the stool in by the rope. So far it work every time.
Thats a good idea, and cheap too lol.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
most known unknown
Lifetime Supporting Member

dude

those are "N-Fab"ulous!!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I like it! looks good for sure

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

They look really nice. Out of curiosity, what would they look like if you tried rotating the step underneath the cab? I have been thinking about making my own version of a power step where a portion of a step like this would rotate under the truck and into the space between the bottom edge of the rocker panel and the frame.
EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
www.performancetruckproducts.com
Bear9350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I'll check it out next time I put the steps up to the truck.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.