8.1 vs. 6.6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

8.1 vs. 6.6

Alright guys, I have a 2005 8.1l gas guzzler. Im bored tonight, so Iv been messin around the net looking at everything truck related.. Youtube vids, forums, etc..
Im wondering.. What are advantages to my 8.1? Its horrible on gas, but I love my truck. Could it out pull any diesel truck? Out run? Anything at all I should take pride in?
Mccallister25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can take pride in the fact that with a tuner, CAI, and 2 1/2" straight pipe they sound mean as and are a blast to run the shit out of ESP. with a ZF6. other than that, your S.O.L.

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I myself had a gmc single cab long box with a 8.1. You are right they are shitty on gas, but they are not any worse than the dodge ram 1500 i had except the 8.1 beats the shit outa the 5.7 in the dodge. as far as horsepower numbers go the 8.1 is right there with the 6.6. but the 6.6 has it on the torque side. What I loved about the 8.1 was the instant torque. No turbo lag. I loved pulling trailers with the 8.1 as well, it pulled just as good as my dmax does. and it sounded awesome in t/h mode when downshifting. the downside is the 8.1 does not have that awesome whistle when cruising through the parking lots or down the city street. There are ups and downs to both though. I would still buy an 8.1 for a toy but i would never get read of my dmax. and with fuel prices and gas prices right now it is probably pretty close to the same to run either one. I only average 12 to 14 in the winter with my dmax. 15 to 16 in summer. that is all city of course. the dmax is also easier and cheaper to upgrade to make more power. and a bigger aftermarket behind it. sorry for the rambling.
2007 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4 CCLB DRW LMM DRW Club Member 193 Mods: N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf bars, resonator delete, pcv reroute, Egr block plate, 3" MBRP downpipe, 4" MBRP straight pipe exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, EFI Live DSP5, Air Dog II 165
jacob54904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

My uncle had a 2500 with a 8.1 in it for a while. And my cousins did a science project on what was faster, a Corvette or their dads pickup. Staged race, and the 3/4 ton truck won by a lot. 8.1's are pretty sweet, but I bought a Duramax.
2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

Goose2448 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys! Just curious, i guess lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mccallister25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Random info....

My buddy had a 8.1 3/4 ton extended cab and that thing hauled butt. Horrible gas mileage and he used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The dealer, of course, said this within the usage criteria for this engine.

He accepted what the dealer told him and never pursued it after that. I guess he did not care and just loved the performance.

SG 6.6
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

i had an 01 8.1 crew before my LBZ and it was a great pickup but milage sucked! i had a black bear tune on it and could keep up with my brothers stock lbz but it was close. after some tuning on his now he would blow the doors off that old 8.1!

-2006 GMC CCSB LBZ --Sold--

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

-2004 Grand Prix GTP
Stocker

-2008 Pearl White Streetglide
primetime_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime_2 View Post
i had an 01 8.1 crew before my LBZ and it was a great pickup but milage sucked! i had a black bear tune on it and could keep up with my brothers stock lbz but it was close. after some tuning on his now he would blow the doors off that old 8.1!
an 01' is hard to compare to an 06'. the 06' 8.1 ZF6 I test drove was a bad bastard. But a 9 mpg I went with the 6.0 and threw some cash at it. But it didnt last long and I went with my duramax which I can say that 8.1 was still meaner stock.

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigRat05 View Post
an 01' is hard to compare to an 06'. the 06' 8.1 ZF6 I test drove was a bad bastard. But a 9 mpg I went with the 6.0 and threw some cash at it. But it didnt last long and I went with my duramax which I can say that 8.1 was still meaner stock.
research says, the 01 & 02 big blocks had the most hp's outta the factory!

-2006 GMC CCSB LBZ --Sold--

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

-2004 Grand Prix GTP
Stocker

-2008 Pearl White Streetglide
primetime_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

my uncle bought a 10' 8.1 to haul their 14ft camper and boat. He gets about 4 MPGs all loaded up, Nice looking truck and all, but he paid almost the same for the 8.1 as an 08-09 LMM. No matter how many times he asked me what to get or what i would do, what was best for towing he still went with the 8.1 and now wishes he hadn't. I would never buy one, just my .02 nor would I refer someone to buy one for towing or town driving. still not 100% why they made one in the first place. big gas hog.
5in custom build exhaust into 6in stack axle dump. Built front bumper with 2 light bars. Hids, ppe hot level 3, fass, biv, intake, 2-8" sub, infinitys, alpine deck, PAC exhaust break, air horns, brand new front end, leds in everything,
Sheet Metal workers local #55
JoshG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.