Front Differential Noise (2004 Tahoe) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gas Burners Discussion of anything Gas powered.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Front Differential Noise (2004 Tahoe)

Hey All,

As most of you know I sold my 2006 because of a baby on the way. I ended up purchasing a 2004 Tahoe Z71. Price was right, and it looked new and drove great! Has all the luxuries, moonroof, dvd player, leather, heated seats, bose, etc.

Here is my concern. I have the "Auto 4WD" System.

When I driving in 2Hi everything sounds fine. If I put the truck in Auto4WD or 4Hi I get a rumble noise that sounds like a truck with mud tires. Not quite as loud, but it changes tone with speed. It seems to get a little quieter after driving a couple miles (no in 4Hi, but in Auto which is OK to do on pavement).

I've heard the front diffs going to crap is common on the 1/2 ton series GM's. Does this sound like a hub bearing or a differential issue? Everything is quiet in 2WD when the front driveline minus the CV's is sitting still.
EFI Live w/DSP5 by Longhorn Fab Shop
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Auto 4 is 2wd until it feels the wheels slip then it engages front. Thats y it dosent do it in auto 4

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

A little noise isn't a big deal. Most of the half tons I've ridden in make a little growl in 4wd. As long as you're sure there's fluid in the front diff I really wouldn't worry about it until it actually gives you a problem.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke38 View Post
Auto 4 is 2wd until it feels the wheels slip then it engages front. Thats y it dosent do it in auto 4

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App
I know how the Auto system works. It's like locking the hubs on my Bronco II and then being unhumanly fast at shifting into 4WD the moment the rear starts to slip. But when in Auto it makes the noise as well, as in whenever the front driveline spins, the noise shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shot View Post
A little noise isn't a big deal. Most of the half tons I've ridden in make a little growl in 4wd. As long as you're sure there's fluid in the front diff I really wouldn't worry about it until it actually gives you a problem.
I am used to it being quiet, so the noise is noticable. In a duramax I wouldn't have been able to hear it. I just know in our 2500HD 6.0L at work when it's in 4WD (floor shift) it make no extra noise at all, as in if it weren't for the indicator light and then binding when turning, there is no audible way to tell. And this truck has been beat on with towing campers and plowing snow. I can't imagine there be much difference between the 2500HD and the 1500 drivetrain.

Why is mine noisy and others silent?

I will probably let it slide for now, as if it gets too bad I will sell it before I spend the money to rebuild a differential.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Welp... Since it is getting colder outside I pulled the truck in the garage and dropped the skid plates. The passenger side axle is leaking... not a good sign. Pulled the drain plug and it looked like bart simpson's hair. It was covered in crap. Refilled with 80-90w synthetic and it sounds way worse now that before. As I drained the used oil from my drain pan into the bottle, it looked like a cleanout from the show "Gold Rush Alaska".... There is definatly something tore up in there.

I am pulling the axle assy this week and taking it to a bearing shop to tear into.

Stupid half ton axles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.