87 TBI 350 K30 Running Problems - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gas Burners Discussion of anything Gas powered.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question 87 TBI 350 K30 Running Problems

I'm just about stumped with the tools I have. I have an '87 Chevy K30 (V30) with a TBI 350 that is having problems. I bought it a bit over a year ago and did all kinds of maintenance work to it so it would be a good plow truck. All last winter it worked great except when I drove over a large snow pile and ripped the trans cooler lines off. This summer it sat mostly, until a friend used it to pull their hay wagon. Worked great for them too. I used it a couple more times to take trash to the dump. Then one day it started popping and died right after I pulled out of the driveway, acting like a fuel problem.

So right now, it will start and idle cold, the colder it is the longer it will idle without problems. It will usually idle as long as you let it, just purring right along. Revving it would cause a spit and then wind right up. It'll hold 4500 rpm no load and be as smooth as ever. As soon as I leave the driveway it pops and acts like it isn't getting any fuel, then dies. After it dies it is hard to restart, often firing and dieing right away. Once running again, it will idle just fine. If it sits a bit it will restart and idle fine.

New parts last year;
-Plugs
-Wires
-Distributor (incl cap, rotor, pickup, ign mod)
-Thermostat
-Radiator
-Steering components
-Air Filter
-All fluids
-Fuel Pump
-Fuel Filter
-2" true Duals without Cats, with mufflers
-Headers

EGR is blocked, Air pump removed, EVAP system bypassed (smog control all gone)

New parts this fall after problem started;
-Coil
-Injectors
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Fuel Filter
-Fuel Line from tank to Eng
-TPS (found dead spot)

Checked so far;
-Timing (mark still perfect and not bouncing)
-Fuel Pressure (constant 9psi even while it dies)
-MAP sensor output normal
-Eng Temp sensor output accurate
-ECM Voltage
-Closed loop operation

I'll have a good long scan, but it won't let me attach it. But I can only scan while it's in the garage. The computer is not mobile. The last thing I did was replace the fuel line and add a T to check the fuel pressure.

I've been out of practice for 4 years, and my disability makes it difficult for me to do much work at once, or concentrate on what I'm doing clearly. So any ideas are welcome. I haven't worked on gassers, except my own, in 10 years. My own usually don't give me problems.

Help me figure this out before the real snow hits up North here.

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP

Last edited by ZiGBlazer; 12-27-2011 at 08:37 AM.
ZiGBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

I wonder about the knock sensor? But usually that will set a code. Are there any codes stored at all? Thats the only thing I can think of that you haven't checked already. Usually the ECM coolant temp sensor causes these kinds of problems in the past for me. Just to be sure you checked the temp sender in the front of the intake manifold, not the one in the drivers side head, correct? Other than that it seems like it should be fuel related, but you've got that covered it seems like.

I hope you can figure it out!! The TBI motors are awesome and unbelievably reliable, but they can be a bugger to troubleshoot sometimes.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Hows the TB? I am betting the TB needs a rebuild possibly.

I quote off of Linder Tech website. "The most common problem with TBI is that the injectors become dirty. Other concerns are worn throttle shaft bushings, pressure regulator leaking or a broken regulator spring and clogged vacuum passages, especially the PCV port."

GM DRW club member #134

*sold* 08 White lmm 4x4 z71
05mudiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

The knock counts are good, but again I can't scan it when it is having it's problem. No codes at all. The temp sensor is reading correctly according to the ECM scans, not the gauge on the dash.

I am working on getting a mobile computer, but I'm using Winaldl which doesn't work with Vista that is on our laptop. We are upgrading to 7, but I'm not sure it will work with that either. So I may be stuck using my old XP computer.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I just rebuilt the TB with new bushings, TPS, Injectors, Pressure Regulator, and gasket.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Ah rgr that

oh I forgot to add a while back I was having some of the same issues with my 88 burban it ended up the idle control valve just being a bad.

GM DRW club member #134

Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

The more and more I read it sound like a vaccum leak some where

GM DRW club member #134

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Idle Air Control Valve and vacuum leak would normally cause an idle problem, that would get better at higher throttle positions.

Idle Air Control would normally cause different idle speeds cold vs warm. It seems to control the idle well, when it gets into closed loop.

Vacuum leak would also cause high idle, and lean idle. The IAC would show low counts trying to compensate for the air leak.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

yeah true true, just tryin to troubleshoot over the net is kinda hard. You have listed everything I would check.

maybe water in/bad fuel? I know our 4 wheelers will act like that when there is water in the fuel/carb.

Squirrel nest in airfilter?

GM DRW club member #134

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I thought about the water in fuel. Shouldn't happen, I treat every tank, and our gas up here is 10% ethanol. But just in case I added 2 bottles of HEAT (isopropal alcohol) and 10 gal of fresh gas. No change. Air filter is clean, intake too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.