Anyone here own a GM vehicle with "Auto4WD"? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gas Burners Discussion of anything Gas powered.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

I have a 2000 chevy 2500 and I won't ever put it in auto because when you put bigger tires on and add some ponies those transfercases do a good enough job eating the clutches using manual mode.
07durty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
Because clearly it is a spool instead... JK...

Open diff anybody?
It's an open diff. I have pics to prove it. (I've broken a lot of stuff)

Goals: Morgan's Corner next season!
Transmission (see goal #1)

Hotdogstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 PM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

my wife has an '11 tahoe. i'll have to try it and see

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LML
BDS/BMF/Toyo/Pioneer/Alpine/Edge and some more
My Build Thread
2011 Chevy Tahoe
WildChevys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM   eBay Motors  #24 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I know it's an open diff... I've seen the insides of it. I don't know of ANY stock IFS that comes with a L/S diff.

It is NOT the in 4WD binding. Every truck I've owned, Ford and Chevy have all been 4WD and I know what they feel like when binding.

WildChevys let me know if you ever try.
EFI Live w/DSP5 by Longhorn Fab Shop
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 PM   eBay Motors  #25 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

ill check tomorrow

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LML
BDS/BMF/Toyo/Pioneer/Alpine/Edge and some more
My Build Thread
2011 Chevy Tahoe
WildChevys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   eBay Motors  #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspafford View Post
Stoopid question.... Bought the Tahoe last October. Love the truck, it's since become my wife's vehicle. I had the front differential rebuilt last December because it sounded loud. There was only one bearing that showed any wear and it is not much quieter now than it was then.

Anyway, 4WD works and Auto4WD worked the couple times I used it since the diff's been rebuilt. It's very convenient for my wife, it's a no brainer on her part.

The other morning it snowed a little so before she headed off to work I put the Tahoe into Auto4WD. When she got home I noticed she had put it back into 2Hi. I asked her why, and she said it was jerking when she was leaving the parking spot at Krogers.

I took it out tonight and running down the road and normal turns it does not bind up. I turned into Burger King and did a slow full lock turn. It felt OK at first, but then felt like something grabbed and let go, and then repeated it a second time..by that time I was going straight again. It seemed to be at a steady speed... meaning the same distance traveled between each thump.

I am telling myself it's normal since the front diff is locked and maybe it's supposed to do that, but it really does make a person think something is not right with it.

Does anyone else's Tahoe, Suburban, 1500 do this when in Auto? I can't afford another repair on the front diff. It's not even been a year, and I had to pull it myself and reinstall it when I had it rebuilt.

Thanks!

This is normal I had a 2000 GMC 2500 with a 6.0 with auto 4wd did the same thing dealer said it' normal because it only locks in 4wd when the rear tires slip

CTS Insights , Firestone Ride-Rite , 275/70R18 BFG`s on Incubus Recoils
Stock but more to come

[url]http://performancetruckproducts.com/
GMCaddic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   eBay Motors  #27 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

Unless you really need it, in my opinion you should keep it in 2 hi. Keeping it in Auto4wd just wears everything out prematurely. The front axle is constantly engaged, the clutches in the transfer case are constantly abused, and you get worse fuel economy.

IMO they should have gotten rid of the auto4wd mode when they made stability control/traction control standard in 2007.

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #28 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

The truck is my wife's. 99% of the time it is run in 2Hi. But for an on demand 4WD system it should be able to run a couple hundred miles a year without fear. Else, they would have ditched it a long time ago.

Our Tahoe is a 2004. Does not have traction/stability control. Auto 4WD works great. With that said, if you tromp on it all the time stuff will break and wear out, but for normal driving it seems to work.

I like the idea of her not needing to know specifics and to worry about shifting in and out depending on the road. She knows when to use it, as the truck she had before this was a Explorer Sport Trac and they only have, 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo.
EFI Live w/DSP5 by Longhorn Fab Shop
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   eBay Motors  #29 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Auto 4WD, duratothemax. I greatly appreciate your honesty about this. I will save your thoughts within our system which means various departments throughout General Motors will be able to read your comments.

Happy Monday!

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM   eBay Motors  #30 (permalink)

Both of our Z71's have the auto track transfer cases, and when there's snow on the ground we utilize the auto 4X4 feature. I have never noticed any popping, jerking, or any locking up whatsoever in either from the front. I will say that at low speeds in parking lots and while doing tight turning with auto 4X4 engaged I will feel the rear G80 lock up from time to time. Could it be you are noticing the rear diff lock up and push the vehicle? Being push button it does make really nice just to switch as you wish when you need or don't need it.
EFI Live, Edge CTS Insight DSP 5 control, S&B CAI, PPE boost valve, Pro Fab AIH, AirDog II 165, Mike L trans, ML-G converter, Allison deep pan, Mike L HD trans cooler, Nicktane w/CAT filter, 5" stainless exhaust, Cognito braces & HD tie rods, H2's, 305/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
1978steven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.