Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

pro and cons of a hummer h2

7K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  Hotdogstand 
#1 ·
well my brother had a tahoe limited real nice suv he just got sick and tired of it and is now trading it for a hummer any pro and cons on them i know fuel sucks but what do u expect for a 6000 lb gasser any info welcom

#3 ·
Heavy and slow and not nearly as roomy as they look

#7 ·
Ok sorry I didn't mean to seem like I was making fun of. I dont know I have drove a few of them. They ride like its a heavy truck and it is, but like someone else said if you want to enjoy the space when your inside all there is is seat, and straigth down to your legs in a whole. Up to you man go test drive her and see what you think.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Hell im goin to trade my chevy for a ford haha don't listen to me

#16 ·
Ok sorry I didn't mean to seem like I was making fun of. I dont know I have drove a few of them. They ride like its a heavy truck and it is, but like someone else said if you want to enjoy the space when your inside all there is is seat, and straigth down to your legs in a whole. Up to you man go test drive her and see what you think.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Hell im goin to trade my chevy for a ford haha don't listen to me
I dont even have to tell you NOT to listen to this guy after a statement like that :rofl

#10 ·
like i said my bros it not mine but what goes wrong with them

#11 ·
What everyone else said +

#13 ·
i didnt know there was any pros to a hummer,

we can list cons all day tho....kinda...lol

#14 ·
If he likes rattles ans squeaks he'll love it. We have 2 of them for shop vehicles and have worked on dozens of them. Everyone of them drives me nuts going down the road. Marker lights on the hood have problems on some of them $150 from the dealer. Bad mpgs like 11 or 12. Other than that typical gm truck issues.

#17 ·
I have a real good bud with one. Overheated pulling two cbr600's on a 14 ft. Aluminum trailer going from Fort Myers to Miami. It is summer and it has 37s, but still. Good point is that they look sharp.

#20 ·
stupid slow. my old boss had 20s and 35s on his. retarded slow i should say.
horrible gas. interior is tacky and everything comes lose. on the tailgate the handle will half come off and its awkward to open. annoying reverse mirrors dont go back up quick enough...
thats just what i can think of from when i was driving it. cant imagine owning one

#21 ·
I would buy one, its way way down on the list, but yea i would own one.

Its a 3/4 ton tahoe. Whats not cool about a 3/4 ton tahoe? If it didnt look like a yuppified H1, truck guys wouldn't bash it, and even less people would have bought it. I dont have any first hand experience with em, but i cant imagine they are any more troublesome than a 2500hd with a 6.0. I just dont see why everyone has not even a shred of respect for something that would outwheel anything else GM made and sold along the same years. As far as picking on something for breaking a tie rod end, is that really appropriate on a duramax forum? There are probably 10-15 you tube videos for a duramax destroying tie rods for every video of an H2 doing the same.

#23 ·
If you wanna argue about offroad abilities, skip H2, use an H3 Alpha. Offroading an H2 is like taking your house on a 4 wheeling trip... bigger is not always better.

As for the tie rods, I agree. Fvckin GM engineering... however, it's not something that can't be fixed. Sleeves will sole that problem as will HD tie rods.

#33 ·
I was led in thinking I could give the pros of a good hummer, but i was disappointed to hear it was the vehicle....now the talk of herpes....im disappointed :neener

#28 ·
Ok....I'll chime in with the weirdest complaint I've heard about a H2. I know about 3 guys who had one...and they all got the roof rack light kit or whatever it is....well they put that button right by the moon roof button, so whenever you hit the moon roof, you normally hit the light button......and why is that a big deal? Well all 3 of them have MULTIPLE fines from running around town with their roof lights on....no joke! I know it sounds dumb, but if you don't realize you did it, and its illegal....the cops still don't like it! The one guy actually traded his in because he was on his 4th fine.

#29 ·
the 6.0 gas motor is one of the best engines gm ever made. yea it might not be the most powerful but with some tuning they can roll. if you say they arent good then why does gm still use them in -lets say almost every truck or suv they make. the older vettes and escalades also hadt them . theres tons of 6.0 gas motors with over 200,00 on them.the late model hummer even had the 6.2 gas motor in it if you could find one. ive had a 6.0 gas/8.1 gas and the 6.0 is a much better truck for being no problems. i guess thats why they still use it.

#38 ·
Except the older vettes used an all aluminum block with completely different aluminum heads and a vastly different intake and separate tuning/intake/exhaust. Other than that, good point, the 6.0 is actually a prime example of the future of the small block. I have several friends who swapped them into S10's or Blazers and they haul a$$ in a lighter truck.

8.1 is a completely different animal it's a tall deck/ big bore gen V iteration of the 454 big block, not comparable at all to the Gen 3/4 small block (LS1 and later)

#31 ·
Its all the same running gear as a 3/4 burb, just no 8.1L option and shorter and uglier. 6.0, 4l80e, 9.25" front diff, 9.5" 14 bolt ssf rear. Hence the H2 8 lug wheels that you see a variety of duramaxes running.

#34 ·
One of my friends used to have one with a 6 inch lift sitting on 40's. It was a beast and wheeled pretty well. He used to beat the piss out of that poor thing before he decided to trade it in on a Dmax.
It was an impressive truck on 40's but basically worthless too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.