Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2003 Blazer Brake Problems

928 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ZiGBlazer 
#1 ·
I'm having a problem with a friends Blazer. They got it a year and a half ago. I checked everything when they got it, and among many other things found the rear brakes dragging to the point a 5 mile trip would be smoking at the rear wheels. I removed, cleaned, and lubed the caliper slides and pad slide areas. Pads were almost new so I didn't do anything else with them. Took it on a 60 mile trip, no excessive heat, or noise.

6 months later they heard a grinding. Found the rear pads gone. I replaced the calipers, brackets, pads, and rotors. Everything works great. Until this June. The pads are gone again. With only about 10,000 miles on them. To cover all the bases I replaced; the master cylinder, all flexible brake lines, all 4 calipers and brackets, all 4 rotors, and all pads. Completely flushed the system for the 3rd time. Again everything seems to be working great. Brakes work better than most new vehicles I've driven. Today they heard a grinding again. This time both inboard rear pads are worn out. One through to the metal. Outboard pads look great, and the outboard side of the rotor still has the finishing markings on it without any noticeable wear. All the telltale signs of calipers that aren't sliding.

First thing I checked was if the rear brakes were hanging. Tires turned easily. Cracked a bleeder, no residual pressure. Calipers seemed to move freely. No reason for the inboard pads to have worn.

Has anyone experienced this with a Blazer or any other vehicle and found the cause? This blazer, while it runs and drive great after all the work, and it has easily had more money put into parts than the purchase price, has been a lemon. Anything minor that could go wrong has gone wrong, but nothing major. Other than minor rust (for MN) it is in excellent shape, and should have no problems. I replaced a few of the rear steel lines, but other than the remaining steel lines and the ABS module, everything has been replaced in the braking system. I've seen plenty of bad parts cause these problems, but never repeated problems of the same nature with new parts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.