Battery drain issue - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

From jc's post:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram
Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Orange
Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Class 2 Serial Data
Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: N/A
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Radio Amplifier Trigger Wire: Pink

Constant power should be used for memory and perhaps main power, as the switched power is a serial data line used to tell the unit when to turn on and off. It should work like the data-2-data connection on a remote start bypass module; 1 wire, many different digital signals to communicate with the bcm and do several things, but not a main power type of line, as it is a very thin wire.
And if Im correct about how this particular data wire works with the bose, then I should call a dealership to see if a reflash is possible to correct the issue, as it seems the unit perhaps isnt being 'told' to fully turn off.

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that...

Last edited by ieetgluu; 12-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.
ieetgluu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieetgluu View Post
And if Im correct about how this particular data wire works with the bose, then I should call a dealership to see if a reflash is possible to correct the issue, as it seems the unit perhaps isnt being 'told' to fully turn off.

I've had an issue occasionally with my head unit as well but I believe the problem is with the ignition key cylinder because it will sometimes not shut off even when the key is out and the doors are opened. If I stick the key back in, turn the ignition on then off again and open the doors, the radio turns off like normal. You may want to look into this as well.

My ignition switch was also replaced:
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17072
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 12-02-2012 at 05:37 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Ive never seen the radio not turn off, atleast in the 1+ month Ive owned it. As soon as the door is opened it shuts off. We both agree the 2A draw cant be normal. Hopefully I can have some free time soon to properly test the draw without disconnecting both batteries to confirm that draw is still there without any 'recharging' on the ecm or radio or whatever it is

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

So I got chance to retest today the correct way. Initial draw was .23 on a 10A scale. I pulled a few fuses to look for a change from that. The IPC/DIC fuse pulled made it drop to .02A. Some of the fuses once put back in, would soon make the draw spike up to roughly 1.8A then it would drop back down after about 10-15 seconds. This must be the 'recharge'. So Ive replaced both batteries and we'll see from there.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
So I got chance to retest today the correct way. Initial draw was .23 on a 10A scale. I pulled a few fuses to look for a change from that. The IPC/DIC fuse pulled made it drop to .02A. Some of the fuses once put back in, would soon make the draw spike up to roughly 1.8A then it would drop back down after about 10-15 seconds. This must be the 'recharge'. So Ive replaced both batteries and we'll see from there.

That recharge people are talking about I believe has to do with the BCM in active mode vs sleep mode.
After about 20 seconds with all doors closed and key off, the BCM return to it's standby state.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

It must be what I was seeing before. I had originaly unhooked both batteries, then I would probe EACH TIME I pulled another fuse. Thus reconnecting power each time, and making the draw spike.
Even still, .23A still seems a bit high. I recall a youtube repair video guy saying you wanna shoot for 50mA. Most higher amounts are too much draw. Not sure why the IPC?/DIC is the main source of draw now.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
It must be what I was seeing before. I had originaly unhooked both batteries, then I would probe EACH TIME I pulled another fuse. Thus reconnecting power each time, and making the draw spike.

Even still, .23A still seems a bit high. I recall a youtube repair video guy saying you wanna shoot for 50mA. Most higher amounts are too much draw. Not sure why the IPC?/DIC is the main source of draw now.

Not sure why the IPC/DIC is high but you can see that mine showed high as well.

What did you have for drain on your CIG/LTR?

Would be nice to get this solved finally.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Not sure. Is that an underhood fuse? I didnt check inside fuses. But at .02A left after the DIC fuse is pulled, I dont have any scale left to test with my multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.