Question to those who have downfire boxes - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question to those who have downfire boxes

I'm looking to add some bass to.my crew cab lly. Looked back and forth and think I'm leaning towards a 2 10 system with a downfire box. For those who do have a set up like that, how does it sound? I am looking for a tight solid hit of bass. Not looking to wake up the neighbors from 5 blocks away. I have some one telling me to do one 10 with a vented /ported enclosure. Not sure bout that.
Also, I have noticed that the sub thump enclosures have very little space for each chamber, so which tens would I use? I used to have two 10 solobarics 15 years ago that hit real hard so I know what those can do. Ah ideas would be great. Not trying to break the bank either.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I have sub thump box with a set of Polk Audio 10s with a polk 1000 pushing them and love way it sounds.
With the 6" of clearance on the box. You should be able get most any 10 in there. Unless your using the competition subs with extremely big magnets and deep mounting depths.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Hey Polk can you post a pic of your setup? Id love to see how everything fits.

Performance: EFI Live DPS5 by Idaho Rob, AFE intake, 5" Flo~Pro TB exhaust, Air Dog 2 165gph lift pump, fuel rail plug, tie rod sleeves, Alligator Diesel Performance radiator hoses, EGR blocker plate.

Exterior: Powdercoated H2's on 285 BFG A/T's, Bilstein 5100's, leveled tow mirrors, DDM tuning HID's w/ all-on-mod, 1500 series tailgate spoiler, UWS low profile tool box.

Interior: Autometer GM Factory Match gauges (boost, EGT, fuel pressure), DIY AUX cable mod.
0--J-MONEY--0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have 2 JL W0 12s with a JL 500w mono amp under my backseat. It has nice tight bass and seems pretty responsive to different frequencies with good sound quality. Its not super loud and can barely be heard outside of the truck. I lined the floor with Dynamat and there is no resonance at all from the floor.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I love my setup. I did the downside box (2 10s) from sub thump. I then ordered 2 Alpine type RS and they would not fit in the box. They were to tall. I ended up buying a set of spacers that would allow enough room for the sub. I have a 1100 watt Alpine amp and love it. I mounted the amp behind the back seat and screwed it to the wall. I have pictures if you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, 18X9 BMF Novakanes Stealth wrapped with 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, rare parts tie rods, 45 gallon transfer flow replacement tank, Amp power steps, All Season bulletproof trans/power steering line kit, Airdog II 165, Nicktane with Cat filter, Edge Insight CTS

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeEm View Post
I love my setup. I did the downside box (2 10s) from sub thump. I then ordered 2 Alpine type RS and they would not fit in the box. They were to tall. I ended up buying a set of spacers that would allow enough room for the sub. I have a 1100 watt Alpine amp and love it. I mounted the amp behind the back seat and screwed it to the wall. I have pictures if you would like.

I bet that setup thumps pretty good. I have 1 10" type r shallow mount with alpine 650 rms amp and it hit pretty hard. My box is .6' and sub faces up. What's better up facing or down?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeEm View Post

Pictures are always appreciated.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I prefer down. It then hits into the floor and keeps a consistent tone because of the carpet. I've had both.

And yes, it hits way hard for me. I listen to a lot of rock like Tool, staind, etc. it sounds really good to that.

5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, 18X9 BMF Novakanes Stealth wrapped with 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, rare parts tie rods, 45 gallon transfer flow replacement tank, Amp power steps, All Season bulletproof trans/power steering line kit, Airdog II 165, Nicktane with Cat filter, Edge Insight CTS

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

ImageUploadedByAG Free1355167968.607571.jpg

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

ImageUploadedByAG Free1355168160.646646.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1355168186.029193.jpg

Here is my amp and capacitor. I went a head and threw in a picture of my head unit as well..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.