hvac problems - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Angry hvac problems

I purchased my 2003 duramax last spring and don't drive it on a regular basis so this week was the first time I really needed the heater. It seems as if it was blowing air conditioned air into the cab. I have the automatic dual heat system.
I turned the heater off to stop the cold air flow.
Tonight I ran the truck to warm up the engine and tried to get some heat. The only way I could get any heat was to put the temp at 90 degrees. The air conditioner seemed to work fine but I had trouble getting it to stop blowing cold air after I turned off the air conditioning.
I have heard that this might mean a bad actuator. I think there are two different actuators. I also wonder if the unit in the dash with the controls could be bad.
I tried laying on the floor and watching the actuator above the accelerator to see if it moved as I dialed the temp up and down and could not see any movement from the gear spline. Is there another actuator that is behind the one I am seeing? The part # on it is 52495593. Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 diesel View Post
I purchased my 2003 duramax last spring and don't drive it on a regular basis so this week was the first time I really needed the heater. It seems as if it was blowing air conditioned air into the cab. I have the automatic dual heat system.
I turned the heater off to stop the cold air flow.
Tonight I ran the truck to warm up the engine and tried to get some heat. The only way I could get any heat was to put the temp at 90 degrees. The air conditioner seemed to work fine but I had trouble getting it to stop blowing cold air after I turned off the air conditioning.
I have heard that this might mean a bad actuator. I think there are two different actuators. I also wonder if the unit in the dash with the controls could be bad.
I tried laying on the floor and watching the actuator above the accelerator to see if it moved as I dialed the temp up and down and could not see any movement from the gear spline. Is there another actuator that is behind the one I am seeing? The part # on it is 52495593. Thanks for any advice.
tonight I removed the HVAC fuse for 5 minutes and then replaced it and ran the truck for 5 minutes. very cold air was coming out of the vents while the temp was set at 72. I still had to run the temp up to 90 to get warm air. But I could get warm air. Something isn't right?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

It has 2 actuators for temp. Driverside is on the very bottom of the case, and pass side is in top of case, behind and to the left of glove box (can't replace that one without a bunch of work) if they are blowing the same temp out both sides, it's either out of calibration or the core is restricted/gelled up. I would make sure both heater hoses are warm/hot first. If not flush the core. If thats not it, unhook the batts, then rehook, turn key on, don't touch anything for at least 30 seconds, turn key off, then start the truck and see what happens. Control head or both actuators could be bad, but not likely.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensAuto View Post
It has 2 actuators for temp. Driverside is on the very bottom of the case, and pass side is in top of case, behind and to the left of glove box (can't replace that one without a bunch of work) if they are blowing the same temp out both sides, it's either out of calibration or the core is restricted/gelled up. I would make sure both heater hoses are warm/hot first. If not flush the core. If thats not it, unhook the batts, then rehook, turn key on, don't touch anything for at least 30 seconds, turn key off, then start the truck and see what happens. Control head or both actuators could be bad, but not likely.
The two heater lines are just warm to the touch after running the engine about 5 minutes. To flush the core do I unhook the lines where the rubber hose connects to the metal line? Which way do I flush the line, left line in or out? Probably with low water pressure?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

You have to drive the truck for a bit to get any heat out of it. 5 mins of idling barely does anything.

Take it for a 20 minute joy ride and work it a little so the engine is good and warm. Then see how the controls function. Diesels are cold blooded. They don't get warm instantly like a Gasser does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

what he said^^^...especially if your'e in a cold location.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.