Need help picking out head unit - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Need help picking out head unit

I am looking for a head unit to put in my truck looking for your help picking it out. Im not really set on one brand or another so open to ideas. I am looking for some that will play dvds and I also want to put rear dvd player as well. I need to be able to hook my samsung phone to it to play music some how. Would be nice maybe bluetooth but as long as it hooks im fine.I dont want to spend a ton on it looking for best deal out there. Would also like it if it had nav built in. If any you guys out there have ideas let me know.
cory7471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I love my pioneer AVIC X930-bt, i got it used with all the wiring for a great deal and does all the things your looking to do.
2003 2500HD LT CCLB, EFILive by Idaho Rob, 4" MBRP, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Ported Intake Horn, S&B Intake, PPE Boost Valve, ADII, Nicktane CAT Adapter, Edge CTS, Cognito UCA, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Cognito Brace kit, Bilsteins, Gear Alloy wheels, Hankook RF10 285's, All on Mod, DDM 5k Low's & 4300 Fogs, air horn, on board air, limo tint

www.performancetruckproducts.com
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Do you have any pictures of it installed
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I'll get some this evening
2003 2500HD LT CCLB, EFILive by Idaho Rob, 4" MBRP, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Ported Intake Horn, S&B Intake, PPE Boost Valve, ADII, Nicktane CAT Adapter, Edge CTS, Cognito UCA, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Cognito Brace kit, Bilsteins, Gear Alloy wheels, Hankook RF10 285's, All on Mod, DDM 5k Low's & 4300 Fogs, air horn, on board air, limo tint

Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I have had an alpine, eclipse, and now I have a jvc. Any of the bigger names you will like all have good picture quality, and do all the things you're looking for. On the Bluetooth connectivity in my experiences the sound quality as far as playing music through it isn't the best and that's with my jvc. It's handy for talking on the phone. I have an iPhone plug for my phone and can select songs and videos right from the head unit. Look for a used one and just make sure all the wiring is there. If you have a Bose sound equipped in you're truck you're going to need an interface also, then you have to buy an adapter to get the steering wheel controls all working. I just got the head unit and bought the rest over a month or two. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1361802402.554267.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
04 CCSB, Lb7, 135k, Full exhaust, cold air, Full h.i.d's, Diamond cut black lens headlights and Tail lights, front and rear Factory SS bumpers, JVC double din, all kicker door speakers, full LED interior lighting mod, all tan to black interior swap W/ SS front buckets and steering wheel.
Dmax525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Anyone else having problems with the bluetooth for music? That is how i listen to most of my music if i have to hook a wire to it i will but was hoping wouldnt lose sound quality with bluetooth? My truck does have bose but i am thinkging about replacing door speaker with aftermarket and running two amps one for subs one for door speakers. Will i still need a interface for bose? I think i will need one for the steering wheel. What about hooking up the radio in the back seat my son like to use that?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you go the amp route you can get away with cutting and splicing to get your unit powered up then running RCA's to the amps and hooking the amps to the speakers. Then you would just need the unit for the steering wheel controls. I know a few of the newer head units claim to have the capability to keep the rear sear entertainment, but I know the majority don't. I'm not sure what all would be needed to keep it with one of the newer units. The sound quality with my Bluetooth seems perfectly fine, I have both a wired hook up and the Bluetooth and don't notice any difference. I have the Bose in my truck, have aftermarket door speakers running off the bose amp still and plans for a sub but as is it sounds great to me.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I already have a set of jl 10" from old truckand some audiobahn amps so most of the way with parts from my old truck. Do you have a rear DVD player in your set up?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I have Pioneer AVH p3400bh. I think I should have gone with the 4400 though. Overall good unit and I play all my music through my Iphone. Used to let me play though bluetooth but ever since the Iphone 5 came out with IOS 6, it won't let me anymore.... might need to jailbreak to get that feature back.
LLY Tapshifter conversion, EFI by Kory, Suncoast GMAX V, 1057, pump rub, FASS Platinum 150, 4" MBRP straight piped, Allseasons EGR delete, PCV Reroute, AFE Mouthpiece, Tie Rods and supports, RBP 95r 20x10's wrapped with Dick Cepek Radial FC-II 33X12.50, Mech boost gauge, Edge CTS
JLiska50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

What is better with the 4400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.