Dim battery light anyone????? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Dim battery light anyone?????

On my 03 I know there has been many many cluster issues with these things but typically the speedo or tach gets all screwed up. On mine I have 2 issues... #1 the shift indicator does not light up at all, and #2 the battery light is on very very dim even with the key out of the ignition. The alternator is charging fine at low and high rpm and the AC ripple withing range of acceptable. Anyone run into either of these issues and found out it was the cluster that went bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 06:52 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

I'd say you have 2 issues...

The indicator is your NSBU( Neutral Safty Backup Switch) located on your tranny.

2nd issue is either your batteries or your alt....but I'm not sure what you by very dim even with the key out of the ignition....mine is pretty dim when i start it in cold weather but after the intake heater shuts off....all fine and dandy

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

the guy that sold me truck recently changed the switch... not that that means the switch is good but who knows. I'll try one and see if it makes a difference. And the other issue, the battery light stays on alllllllll the time very very dim even with the key out of the ignition. The batterys both tested fine on my D-TAC snap on tester. They are AGM batteries so no cell test on them. I replaced the alternator because I wanted the 145 amp instead of the 105 amp and still no change. Connectors all look good. hmmmm any other thoughts?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsivspeed454 View Post
the guy that sold me truck recently changed the switch... not that that means the switch is good but who knows. I'll try one and see if it makes a difference. And the other issue, the battery light stays on alllllllll the time very very dim even with the key out of the ignition. The batterys both tested fine on my D-TAC snap on tester. They are AGM batteries so no cell test on them. I replaced the alternator because I wanted the 145 amp instead of the 105 amp and still no change. Connectors all look good. hmmmm any other thoughts?
hmm any codes? maybe resetting it will fix it...kinda my last option if you have changed everything.

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

no codes in any of the modules for anything at all. hmmmmmm???????
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

my truck is doing the same thing. did you find a fix or what it is
2003 2500HD LB7, Double Batmo S366, T4 .91 AR, Head studs, exargy %30 over injectors,Dual LBZ CP3, 4in downpipe, 4 turbo back, ADII 165, UCAs, S&B intake, EGT and boost gauge, All on Mod, Braces, 305/70/16 BFGs/Nittos A/Ts, PPE stage 5 trans(built by me) ML conveter, Tcase brace, MA engine mounts, spring clamps
BIG thanks to Mike L, Tony @ all season, Dustin @ ATP,
Tuned by ATP 700rwhp 1290rwtq
11.76 @ 115mph with 1.70 60 foot
2000 Camaro Z28 twin turbo
9.96@140mph 1.68 60 foot on pump gas and 13psi of boost
tomz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I also have a stock 2003 gmc with the same problems, Faint battery light all the time with ignition on or off. also I have faint to no transmission lights. However if I smack the plexiglass the trans indicator will start to glow. anyway I just replaced the batterys and the battery light still stays on (faint). any thoughts on this subject would be great. Lately I've had alot of electrical grimlins such as My stereo loosing memory, personal seat settings going haywire, then last night my stereo had no sound, I thought the fuse to the amp went out but it worked great today???????? Is there a ground I need to look at or a possible loose connection??? or is the ECU going out???? thanks

Last edited by FSTRECON8653; 11-12-2010 at 05:54 PM.
FSTRECON8653 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Did you guys ever figure out what the really dim battery light was all about? Mine just started this tonight.
DCOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I think it's a problem within the cluster, had the same problems for months and when I replaced the cluster I haven't had a problem with either.

07 2500hd CCSB LBZ

03 2500hd
Extended Cab SB
MBRP 4" ss exhaust, S&b intake, Ppe biv, Profab intake elbow, EFI LIVE DSP5 by BOBO and Creatures Of The Night Performance......................SOLD
03grndmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Thanks... I've been tryingto read old threads about it. Seems like they all point to the instrument cluster. I think the previous owner had the instument cluster replaced already so I thought it should be good... but I guess this one is going bad too. Thanks for your help.
DCOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.