Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Heated Seats issue

7K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  askyup88 
#1 ·
Hello all.

So this morning I started up my '06 2500HD, got in, and noticed that my heated seats lights (Drivers side only, to show power on / heat level) were lit up. Thought that was strange, but thought perhaps I had left them on when I exited the truck last night. I then turned them off, and started driving down the road. Not but a few seconds passed and I noticed the heated seat kicked itself back on, but now it was fluctuating between Hi, Med, Low, then back to Med, Low, etc. I kept manually turning it off, but it kept turning back on, and fluctuating between heat settings (Hi/Med/Low).

So I pulled off the road took a quick video (see below) and turned off the truck. Let it sit a second, fired it back up, and still same issue. I got back on the road and drove about 15mins then got off the freeway to get some fuel. Turned it off obviously to fuel up (tank was empty) which took I dunno 8-10mins in all I'm guessing, got back in fired it up and no more issues.

I made one more quick stop where it was turned off/on, fired it back up and then the rest of the way into work, which was about a 20 more minute drive. Again no more issues.

Upon getting into the parking lot at work, I decided to manually try turning the heated seat on thinking maybe it burned itself out while it was messing up this morning, but it worked fine, stayed on the setting I put it to, and turned off and stayed off when I told it to (at least for the minute or so I left it before turning off truck and going into work).

So now I'm kind of stumped. My guess is that this may all be a cause of me remotely starting my truck this morning with my after market remote start system (Avital). Or perhaps my control module is on the fritz?

Thoughts/Advice/Opinions?? Thanks!!

http://vid143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/KKleinschmidt/Video Dec 18 7 03 04 AM_zpsrvadgyck.mp4

OR try this:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same issue, only mine goes funky only when it is damp, or raining. My guess it is in the switch... Probably not much help, but you aren't the only one with this problem...

Reactions: SIDLEYDIESEL
#3 ·
Ha! I just came here to ask the same thing and found this. Mine puts on a light show it cycles so fast sometimes. I figured maybe a broken wire or bad connection. If I tear into mine and find it before you do I'll report back.

#4 ·
So since I posted this, mine hasn't done it again. I'm leaning towards an electrical surge with my remote start is to blame, but its merely speculation.

If it happens again, I'll dig into it and post back any results.

#6 ·
Mine has done it off and on again since I posted this. It hasn't done it frequently enough for me to dive into trying to trace it down and find a solution. However, talking to a buddy who works as a mechanic, he told me that its TYPICALLY the heating unit in the seat bottom that gets a broken wire in it, causing it to short, and causing the issue noted. To fix it, you need to take the seat apart, remove the old wire heating element, then replace with a replacement unit and put it all back together. As seen in this youtube video.

Again, my issue is so inconsistent, and I use the seat heaters so rarely, that I haven't brought myself to do the repair yet. Hope that helps.

#8 ·
Same here....

I think the problem lies with the DDM. $165

#9 ·
Mine does that same thing, I have also looked up the part. Thing that gets me is that the ddm is Seperate from the heated seats switch. I'm gonna pull the panel some time this week and check the points on it, get them all cleaned up, put back together and see if it clears my problem.

I too have heard that the ddm is to be suspect, just don't wanna have to go to the stealership to have them flash it... I have read this has to be done with a new ddm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It says on the web online purchase sites, it needs to be flashed. However, others have replaced it on their LBZs and it was a plug-n-play, worked fine, fixed the prob.

There are 4 harnesses and one data com plug on the DMM.
When you pull the panel and the DDM, you'll see that the seat heat switch (and pretty much every other function from the Driver's seat) goes thru the DDM.

#12 ·
It says on the web online purchase sites, it needs to be flashed. However, others have replaced it on their LBZs and it was a plug-n-play, worked fine, fixed the prob.

There are 4 harnesses and one data com plug on the DMM.

When you pull the panel and the DDM, you'll see that the seat heat switch (and pretty much every other function from the Driver's seat) goes thru the DDM.

Man thank you so much for your help. I'm gonna try to get into the panel tomorrow and get the ddm cleaned up with some electrical cleaner to see if that fixes my problem. If it doesn't I'll probably cough up the money for a new ddm

#11 ·
I had that problem on my 06 suburban. I found the relay under the dash that runs the seat heater and unplugged it. Only problem was that relay runs the whole seat. After a few weeks I plugged it back in so my wife could move the seat so she could drive. It never happened again while I had it. I traded it a few months later.

#13 ·
When you remove the panel (there's a U-toob vid), all of those harnesses plug into the bottom of the DDM, hiding the release clip on all. The rear of the DDM pops loose like the dash bezel does. However, there is a hidden screw underneath that attaches the front of it to the panel.

In the image I posted above, at the bottom, you see the screw I put back in for the pic. If you remove that screw (7mm), you can pull the DDM out of the panel on the topside and easily remove the 5 different harnesses and set the panel aside.

#14 ·
Ok, after posting up here recently that my issue had gone away for almost a year, it suddenly popped up again. Got so bad (hot) on the drive into work this morning, I pulled over, and unplugged the power to the seat so I didnt cook.

From the research I've done it really sounds like its an issue with a short (likely broken wire) in the heated seat element itself rather than the control unit. But as discussed above, the control unit is what many of you are replacing.

It was interesting, that while it was cyling on/off when I pulled over and pulled the plug under the drivers seat (truck still running) it obviously killed the power to the heated seat, but also left the lights on the control unit in the door on in the last known configuration.

So I guess my question is, would you recommend tearing into the control unit in the door first or the seat heaters?

#15 ·
I haven't ever fixed mine, about the same time I created this post, and was looking for help, the dang thing quit doing it-i never got around to messing with it at all either. Here recently it has started back up though. I don't drive the truck enough for it to bother me that much just yet. It's still on the to do list though lol

#16 ·
It's only April yet....July/Aug...I'm sure it'll raise it's ugly head up ag'in. Downerrr

#17 ·
lol I recon that'll be the time to dig into it. I've got my seats and console out right now so I can put some subs and amp in. Wondering if I just unplugged that seat connector then when I go to put the seats back in it'll sort of reset itself and go away lol

#18 ·
Should be plugs in a plug...remove the two heater (back, seat) plugs from the main harness under the seat.

#19 ·
My 06 has been going so crazy with this and 95% of the time it's not cold enough for me to want it on. Anyone find or know of a way to disable power just to the heater? I'd be fine with never having heated seats, but it would be nice to still be able to adjust the seat itself.

It got so bad that I pulled the fuse under the hood but that controls not only all the power in the seats but also the passenger side windows so it can't stay like that forever.

#20 ·
So I still haven't tackled replacing the switch or the heating element yet. My "solution" has been to simply unplug the main connector under the drivers seat, which will disable the heater on both the driver and passenger seats, but also knock out your power seat on the drivers. For me, I don't adjust my seat almost ever, so this solution works for now until I get around to finding the real solution.

#23 · (Edited)
Old thread, I just realized that it needs an update.

The demon within on mine, finally went apeshiite crazy with full on constant torching the seat in the hottest part of the year. I broke down, rolled the dice and ordered a new DDM.
Part number here in this post:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/...n/905058-seat-heater-switch.html#post11562594

Fixed. happyjump

When winter teens hit, I had suffered so much mental anguish with the summertime heat torture, I was very reluctant to try and engage the seat heat with the new module installed.

But I got over it, as the curiosity got the best of me. Works fine, as it should. Stays off, like it should.

Unplugging;
The problem with unplugging the main harness on the floor, as has been mentioned, you loose all seat function. Now, you think that since you never alter the position once it fits, that you could do without that option.

The problem there is, to access that main plug, you need to move the seat all the way forward, which then leaves you with the steering wheel in your chest, once it's unplugged.

The two heating elements have their own small plug on the wire end, which plugs into the main harness you're seeing on the floor under the seat. When you replace the covers, or the worn cushion(s), in the seat disassemble process, each of those heating elements are unplugged and removed.

So it is possible to unplug the demon without snipping any wires.
But the install of a new DDM was easier than opening up the seat cushion (as seen here in this install vid)

Reactions: West1134
#24 ·
I really need to just try replacing the DDM as you did. Its always been my plan....but considering how little I use the heated seats, throwing money at it wasn't a high priority. Now that I don't even drive my truck that regularly (causing other problems haha - see my battery woes in my other post) it got pushed even lower on my to do list. But it would be nice to just have it work as its supposed to. Also, Hook Em, you can reach the connector to disconnect the main harness under the seat without pushing the seat all the way forward, its a bit of a pain to do, and you are doing it blindly, but it can be done, thats what I did.

Old thread, I just realized that it needs an update.

The demon within on mine, finally went apeshiite crazy with full on constant torching the seat in the hottest part of the year. I broke down, rolled the dice and ordered a new DDM.
Part number here in this post:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/...n/905058-seat-heater-switch.html#post11562594

Fixed. happyjump

When winter teens hit, I had suffered so much mental anguish with the summertime heat torture, I was very reluctant to try and engage the seat heat with the new module installed.

But I got over it, as the curiosity got the best of me. Works fine, as it should. Stays off, like it should.

Unplugging;
The problem with unplugging the main harness on the floor, as has been mentioned, you loose all seat function. Now, you think that since you never alter the position once it fits, that you could do without that option.

The problem there is, to access that main plug, you need to move the seat all the way forward, which then leaves you with the steering wheel in your chest, once it's unplugged.

The two heating elements have their own small plug on the wire end, which plugs into the main harness you're seeing on the floor under the seat. When you replace the covers, or the worn cushion(s), in the seat disassemble process, each of those heating elements are unplugged and removed.

So it is possible to unplug the demon without snipping any wires.
But the install of a new DDM was easier than opening up the seat cushion (as seen here in this install vid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoEkJfXNfo

#25 ·
First time seeing that information so the DDM may be my issue but I'm not going to spend $150 on something I'm ok with not having!

I'm gonna attempt to disconnect power to the heating elements (by whatever means necessary) so I can still adjust the seat and leave it at that. Thanks for all the information!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.