Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

When i brake the turn indicators turn on

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  830king 
#1 ·
So hopped in my truck the other day and noticed that when i apply the brake neither of the brake lights light up AND my turn indicators on my dash faintly light up??? Also when i turn my turns on all the lights in the back flash like if my hazards were on. The front turn still work and my third brake light ( on the cab) still works. Im thinking a bad ground or bulb. What yall think?

#2 ·
Sounds like a ground issue, or broken wires. Look under the truck at the trailer hitch plug in and follow that harness forward looking to see if it hacked into at some time in the past....that is a fairly common problem.

#3 ·
When i rebuilt the truck i remember the ground on the connection pannel behide the bumper not working, i think the ground wire i added is loose or something.

#4 ·
All fuses check out and i just noticed that when i brake and turn my license plate light blink lol heres a photo of the dash when i turn the left sig on.

#6 · (Edited)
When I open my glove box the rear cargo light indicator on the dash lights up, has done this for a few years now. I always just assumed it was little gremlins behind under my instrument panel messing with me:)

#7 ·
check the grounds on the rear lights, the rear break lights are a combination bulb withe 2 filaments an 1 ground, if the ground is bad, the brakes will power up one side of the filament and with no ground will flow through the second filament and power up the turn signal circuit.

#8 ·
Mine did that when I did HG's. Forgot to tighten the ground on the front drivers core mount.

#9 ·
it's most likely a bad bulb, one of the brake light filaments are broken & touching the parking light filament

#10 ·
It was the ground wire. My truck was totaled when i bought it and the bumper was shoved into that pannel in the back were all the wire harnesses connect. Anyway long story short when I rebuild the truck I had to bipassed the orginal ground and it just got discontinued. New self tapping screw fixed it. With out a ground it was back feeding into the system cause all the weird stuff to happen

#11 ·
Glad you got it figured out bud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.