Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Underbody LED lighting

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Jt777 
#1 ·
I've bought some LED strips that I would like to mount under the body of my truck for a couple of reasons. I have a couple of questions that need answers to before I begin.
First off, I'm pretty sure I want these lights to be triggered by the head lamps (headlights). Where and how would be the best location to tap into for this to happen? I wouldn't need a relay unless I'm hoping to add an rocker switch in the cab, correct?
Next question, aren't the headlights supposed come on when you lock/unlock with the key fob (remote)? I know you can customize the lock/unlock feedback through the DIC, but does that light up the headlights or some other lights? I ask this because my headlights don't come on when I unlock my truck even though I have "both" selected on the feedback.
I'm sure I'll have my more questions later but I've got to start somewhere. Thank you in advance for you feedback.
-steam

#2 ·
Would you want them on when driving or as a courtesy light for when approaching the truck?

#3 ·
If you wire them into your headlights then they will be on any time your headlights are on. Among other things, thats illegal in most states I believe.

As for a relay that really depends. Good rule of thumb is a relay is never the wrong way to do it. However, for something that draws very little (such as a few small LEDs) you could probably tap them into another circuit and run off that circuits relay and wiring as long as the wire/relay/fuse aren't already almost overloaded. Most stock wiring would be able to handle the extra load a small LED would draw.

What are you trying to accomplish with these lights?

#4 ·
If you wire them into your headlights, then they would be on while you're driving at night....is that what you're REALLY wanting?

That and fender well lights are just modern day "UNDERGLOW" kits....what have diesel trucks become :eek:hno

#5 ·
I see a reasonable purpose for these under-body lights when used as ground lights/work lights. It's nice to be able to see everything around the truck at night if you're working on something. But, that's probably better done by using bigger lights and on a toggle switch.

That's just me. To each his own.

#6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback.
I work in a very low-lit facility that is surrounded by marshes and bayous. Its kinda off the grid and doesn't get the general maintenance that it should so we see higher than normal grass. So on nights when I want to run out to my truck, I'd like to know if there's a water moccasin curled up next to the tire or a gator creeping by. I would think the simplest way to do this would be to hit the unlock button on the key fob to trigger the headlights and perimeter lights, along with the under body LEDs. I'm not necessarily looking for these to be positioned in/on the fender wells. These aren't high intensity LEDs we talking about, they draw 6w and are ideal for lighting up the engine bay area and what not. I just wanted to know the best point of insertion when it came to tapping into the head light wire. I will probably run a rocker switch to it just in case I wanted to turn them off. Thank you again.

Reactions: mayne_event
#7 ·
To do that, you can wire them the same as wiring footwell lights, they turn on when you unlock the doors

#8 ·
Cool, that sounds like a good solution. I never thought about that, so I'll start looking into that. I'll post some pics up here when I'm done.

#9 ·
Look to your Instrument Panel Fuse Block, down under the dash where your brake controller harness plugs in. There, on the right lower corner you'll find the harness that feeds the overhead console/interior lights. The slot you want to access/tap has two wires together in the slot. This feeds the courtesy lights and will light the LEDS you want to add, with your key fob 'unlock'. They will also do the slow fade out, just like the other interior lights.

I have these (waterproof/self sticky);
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-modules/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

#10 ·
Do you have any pics of your accent lights. I saw that superbrightled has a rock light kit and i think i am going to get it for accent /courtesy lighting. I am not in to the whole underglow look trust me. I do think however that these truck lack exterior lighting (LMMs at least). Thought that this kit would be a good option...

#11 ·
Doesn't really show up on a phone camera. The dots are not wildly glaring, just a nice soft glow that lights up the pathways around the truck. Perfect also (IMO) for added under dash lighting and even the back floor boards, as you can peel-n-stick 'em anywhere. I prefer a warm soft white vs the harsh blue 6000k.

#14 ·
It depends. These are clearance marker lights. Usually used for trailers, but serves the purpose. Look at semis, lights all over. From the research I've done, from the front, Amber and white lights are legal. From the side, Amber lights can be visible, and from the back, red is legal.

#15 ·
" The colour of light emitted by vehicle lights is largely standardised by longstanding convention. It was first codified in the 1949 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic[5] and later specified in the 1968 United Nations Convention on Road Traffic.[6] Generally, but with some regional exceptions, lamps facing rearward must emit red light, lamps facing sideward and all turn signals must emit amber light, while lamps facing frontward must emit white or selective yellow light. No other colours are permitted except on emergency vehicles"

#17 ·
Ask a couple of different officers.. A lot of time, knowledge and opinions will overlap..

#19 ·
According to the Michigan State Police and Michigan Compiled Law, any external lighting not required for road use is illegal. I could probably make the case for the amber running lights like you have, but then I run the risk of encountering an officer who has a different interpretation than I do.

So, no cool lighting effects for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.