Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Cable from battery to starter not holind a charge

871 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ricecamron 
#1 ·
Trucks been having a hard time starting for awhile, and after the second time bringing it in they finally said the problem was between the battery, and the starter I'm losing voltage, so replace the cable, easy fix. Problem is they said it would cost around $700 with labor to replace what looks like a $80 cable. Any idea why it cost so much? (Already told them no)

#2 ·
Possible the cable has corrosion inside, and loosing contact. What year--?? The cables are connected together at the red box, by the power steering pump, on the early models. Some times the problem is there, or the passenger side may be bad-- best to have them tested-- [be sure tio isolate the one being tested]

Note-- the Duramax has two batteries and both are connected together to maks one big battery. Starting in cold weather requires lots of amps, for the glow plugs, intake heater and starter.

#4 ·
Labor is about $80-$100 in most dealers, and "the book" probably has it down as a 5 hour job... And while you can go buy the cable made to length for about $6/ft, the dealer will order the specific replacement part which will cost $148.79...

Take it to a non-dealer truck mechanic and get a price. Dealers are going to charge what the book rate is. Doesnt matter if its done in an hour,'if the book says its a 5 hour job, you get charged 5 hours labor...

Another option may be a decent stereo shop. Most have the cable and crimping tools to make custom length cables and could replace them pretty easy....

IF that is in fact the problem. You could replace the cables and still have the same problem...

Keep in mind, The factory cables are the bare minimum size to get the job done, so if they need replacing, I would get the cable size bumped up one or better yet two sizes. I think stock is 4 ga cable. Going to 2ga (or even better would be 0ga) wire would improve the starting power for not much extra cost. This is where a place that will custom make them on the spot is way better than a dealer who is going to order a premade replacement the same as what you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.