Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Satellite receiver location?

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LBZ07Classic 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to locate the satellite receiver on my 2007 classic so I can tap into the wiring for an AUX jack installation. I thought it was behind the glove box door but when I looked there, no receiver. The factory radio has SR1 and SR2 bands so I know there's a receiver somewhere. Did Sirius and XM mount their receivers is different places?

#2 ·
I think it's built into the radio recieving signals from that little black pointy looking thing on the roof.
But I could be wrong. HmmMMmm
All of mine from 06 to newer had the aux jack on the front.

#3 ·
I don't have anything on the roof.
I have a small square plastic gizmo on the dash by the vin tag that says Sirius. I searched the part# on it and confirmed it's an antenna.

I could follow the antenna wire but thought I'd ask first. Hate to disassemble the dash just to discover it's in the console or something.

#4 · (Edited)
Antenna by the vin tag....sounds like you have an aftermarket add-on sat receiver. It could be the crap kind that taps the FM antenna input. If it is, the audio splice trick won't work.

Pop off the dash bezel and pull the radio out to inspect (3 mins?) what's plugged into it. And where. You may have to go the route of an aftermarket harness tap for aux input. (pac audio)

Note: before you start in to any harness stuff, EJECT ALL CDs before you do anything. Otherwise, they have a habit of goin' crazy and eat your CDs.

#5 · (Edited)
Then at you have is a aftermarket Sirius/XM add-on, the radio is also the receiver connected to the radio antenna, I've had a few.
Your best bet would be to contact the radio manufacture with your question, not here besides we don't know what brand radio you have.

#6 ·
GM did not use Sirius in 2007-- only XM satellite receiver. Several years later XM and Sirius merged together.

#7 ·
Well, I'm totally confused now.
The radio looks like a normal factory 6 disc unit. One odd thing is when the band button is pushed, it displays AM FM SR1 and SR2 (instead of XM). If it was an add-on sys, how could the head unit display SR1 and SR2??

Can't pull the radio out tonight. When I do pull it, am I looking for something connected to the 9-pin connector?

The truck also has factory rear entertainment (DVD player w/fold down screen) that plays thru the head unit. Come to think of it, I believe there's audio and composite video (RCA) inputs back there. Maybe there's an option there??

Thx for the heads-up on unloading the CDs.

Here's a pic of what my radio looks like. It's not my radio. Just an image I found on the net. I assumed it was a Delco or Bose maybe? The speakers say "Bose" on them.

Attachments

#9 ·
If it was an add-on sys, how could the head unit display SR1 and SR2??
Because, depending on your radio, there are harness ports in the rear to tie in either the On-Star module and/or XM module. Those options were not built in to the head unit. Many aux add-ons utilize these ports and the radio recognizes the different input and displays info accordingly.

Open it up and see what's plugged in to the rear, report back.

#8 ·
Ya, that looks factory.
Do you have any places around you that sells and installs this kind of stuff ?
Maybe even a dealer.
If you would stop by and ask them, they should be able to answer your question.
That's what I would do instead of asking on the forums, people that knows radios.
You don't have to retain their services.

#10 ·
Pulled the head unit out found the sat recv stuffed under the dash.
Good news is that it does connect to the back of the head unit so there's still hope.

Head unit is definitely Delco.

Attachments

#11 ·
old thread notes... said:
This is for the Satellite radio tuner behind the glove box.

Pin and what they do.
2 - Brown/white = Left audio
3 - Dark Green/ white = Right audio
7 - Light Green = Serial Data
9 – Black/white = Ground (on my truck it looked like black/grey)
10 – Black/white = Audio Drain
16 – Orange = Battery
You've got the same 6 wires....just need to figure out which ones are;
LEFT RIGHT COMMON for audio. Downerrr

#12 ·
To make things a bit more tricky, I don't have a subscription for satellite service so I can't just probe around looking for an audio signal.

I've search the net for a breakdown of these wires but had no luck.

Suppose I could chop up a earbud/headphone wire and inject a signal from the headphone jack of an old mp3 player to each suspect wire, but first I would use a VOM to eliminate the power and ground wires.

Any other thoughts?

BTW, thx for the replies :thumb

#13 ·
You should still have output on 'preview' channel one, with no subscription active.
After tapping the audio wires, the Mod calls for tuning to '0', 'Radio ID' channel, as that has no audio output to conflict with your input signals.

#14 ·
Checked the sat receiver today. On SR1 band, the only channel I can tune to is 255. If I push the "tune" button on the head unit, it gives a radio ID#. No audio at all. Same issue on SR2 band.

Looks like I'm back to trying to inj a signal.

#15 ·
You want the I.D. channel, which has no audio on it. If you used a channel with audio on it, your listening pleasure would be a mix of the two audio inputs. Tune to the I.D. channel, no other audio to interfere with your aux input.

#16 · (Edited)
Got the bluetooth receiver installed today.
Referencing the pic of the connector, the 2 wires on the far right (white and black) were the L/R signals. The red wire next to them is the speaker ground for both channels.
Very hard to see the black wire in the pic, but it's just below the white wire.

When I cut the outer sheath, I found those 3 wires go into their own sheath separate from the other wires. That bundle of wires has shielding that grounds to one of the 2 black wires in the center of the connector. (There's 2 black wires going to the same pin)

The yellow is 12v and I'm not sure what the 2 green wires are for. I assume one is serial no idea on the other.

I started out probing the (unplugged) connector for the Sirius module with an VOM. Found power and ground. Measured resistance on the remaining pins and found the 2 far right wires (blk/wht) had the same resistance to ground which made me feel these were good candidates. Switched the ohmeter to "Diode Check" and when the black and white pins were probed, the speakers would pop on either the left or right side.

Then I used a hacked-up ear bud wire connected to an old MP3 player and injected a signal into the white wire with the red wire connected to the shielding. Music appeared from my truck speakers.:smile2: There's was also some elec noise but the noise went away once I soldered up the connections with decent wire.

To make the permanent connectors, I cut up an extension patch cord. (One that has male RCA on one end and female RCA on the other) Used the correct end to match the RCA connectors on my bluetooth receiver. Taped up all the soldered connections, ty-wrap'ed the patch cable to the sat recv Y-harness (for strain relief), and taped over the ty-wraps. Looks almost like it belongs there :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.