Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Factory HID vs. 1500 LED headlights

11K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  shortnugly 
#1 ·
I lucked out and found a set of 2016 LED lights from a 1500. Started working on the swap today so I took a few pics to see if I could capture any performance change.

I have installed the LED light on the driver side only at this time.

So this shot is both lights, low beam.

Passenger side HID light only..

Driver side LED light only.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Seems like some improvement, how is the throw distance wise? definitely a better looking light and looks good on the truck ,Is it Plug and play and do the turn signals and DRL's work correctly ? what year lights are they?

#9 ·
I think there is better light to the sides, not sure about distance yet. I just went around the block.

Yes it requires the harness from Gen5diy and then it just plugs in. It has a resistor hanging off the "Y" of the harness. Everything works as designed! Much better look IMO.

These are from a '16 and I think the '17's are the same but I haven't confirmed.

#3 ·
I definitely like how the 1500 headlight looks and I was wondering about this a while back if they could be swapped in.. I like the drl also on the half ton.. X2 on if that all works like supposed to now..

#4 ·
And it gets rid of the obnoxious orange corner lenses!

#5 ·
Lights are a direct swap, same mounting points. You won't be able to plug the OEM plug from the truck directly into the headlight. Gen5diy makes a short adapter harness that guys have been using...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Hmmm I might have to do this sometime.. I like my hid light though

#7 ·
Matt, do you know if that harness has a resistor or any way to make the led turn work right , these new trucks have so many glitches with any mods on the electrical!! There is a thread that has this swap and it shows another harness with resistors built in.

#8 ·
I'll get some pictures for you... They guarantee the harness to work on their website, just haven't found any cheap enough headlights to try my harness out on, lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Being I have money to burn I guess this is necessary to go with the 17 Hood ???? I think phychatric help may be needed soon, I have a new trailer a few weeks away too!
SOMEBODY STOP ME !!!!

#15 ·
I think I know where i can get a pair of lights from a base model 2016 1500 , does anyone know if thats a LED light or?

#17 ·
Thanks , these are some pricey headlights !!

#19 ·
Thanks, Definitely need the SLE/Denali ones, I want the light performance but must shamelessy admit looks are a big part! and of course they are the ones that are 2G

#22 ·
mb1, can you post the part numbers for the headlights and harness and the results when you get it all working ?
I appreciate your info it takes a lot of the "fear" out of a mod like this !!
And some pics of the DRL and Turn signals working. Great looking truck by the way!!!

#23 ·
mb1, can you post the part numbers for the headlights and harness and the results when you get it all working ?

I appreciate your info it takes a lot of the "fear" out of a mod like this !!

And some pics of the DRL and Turn signals working. Great looking truck by the way!!!

I will try and get some pics before dark.

And thanks!

#26 ·
The strobe effect on the DRL's is from the iPhone vid I guess. That's not happening in real life.[/QUOTE]

Outstanding and great upgrade , so much better look in my opinion!!!! Thanks !

:GoodJob

Reactions: mb1
#30 ·
To be honest, I saw a HUGE improvement when I swapped out my stock HID housings for the 1/2 denali headlights. I was planning on doing a projector retrofit, but was impatient when I got the new truck and wanted everything in right away once parts started coming in. I have attached a pic of the output on low beam with fogs. I had one against the garage, however my old phone got lost and I hadn't backed it up since that picture so if you would like I can take another one. I may still do the projector swap in the future, but I am not dissatisfied with the quality of these lights. They look great too. I had to do some adjusting bc I had them aimed too high at first. I believe I have them set perfectly now. No blinding oncoming traffic, or smaller cars in front of me after significant testing with friends/family members and I have not gotten flashed.

Attachments

#31 ·
Well after finally driving at night without fog I have to say I agree that the light output is definitely better with the LED's. I still need to experiment with the correct alignment ( I think I may have them too low ) but they are brighter on the road and much better output in the ditch now. I can barely tell when I put the factory fogs on.

I have to go out with a friend that has a Sierra to make the comparison side by side. Hopefully sooner than later.

BTW, Hoff your truck looks fantastic!

#32 ·
Thank you sir! I ended up putting in the Morimoto projector fogs bc of that exact issue. They don't look very powerful when looking at them, but the light output is fantastic on them.

#37 ·
Anyone who has done the install, any difficulty with installation on a 2016? Where did you mount your resistors?

#39 ·
Here is a link to GM trucks on a install , I think it has the harness number from GEN5DIY , if not they are very helpful and will get you the correct harness, the resistors come installed in the harness and they just mount wherever you want near the headlight. I have had mine in for over a year now I think and no problems no hyper flash ! I am still looking for a good set of the GMC or Chevy late model Led taillight at a decent cost , they have the harness for them as well , if I can get them my truck will be 100% LED inside and out.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...ts-in-1415-sltall-terrain-almost-done/?page=2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.