Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

smaller Dmax??

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  HDdave 
#1 ·
Anybody think we are going to see a smaller dmax? The new thailand colorado comes with an option of a 2.5l duramax and a 2.8L duramax and GM confirmed its us availability. Think we'll see a smaller duramax in that truck?

#2 ·
Not unless the EPA is eliminated or changed. They are trying to add more emissions crap to things still. And if it did make it then it probably would be so choked up with emissions crap that youd be better off with the 4cyl gas motor...I might have to get one shipped over though.

#4 ·
I kinda agree. Hopefully they bring em over, doubt they do though. I think the big three saw the end of their diesel dreams with the new emissions standards. If they did bring em over they'll probably get shitty mileage due to the emissions crap, and will be underpowered. Combine that with a higher price tag for the Diesel option and the probably wouldn't sell many. And with GM locking the ecm on the lml I'd bet they do the same with any other diesel they introduce. So there would be little to no aftermarket for it, which means it'll stay underpowered with bad mileage.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

#5 ·
ya but you still have companies like benz and volkswagon pushing really good mileage on diesel motors. this is a midsize truck it doesnt need the huge towing capacity of the 2500 and 3500's its an entirely different platform i think it would be the perfect platform to push the envelope. the jetta is just an example i know the colorado will be heavier but look at the MB ML bluetec offering

#7 ·
they might... I know that the half ton diesel was 100% finished and emissions ready a few years ago. GM pulled the plug because the bean counters decided that it would steal too many sales from the higher profit margin HD truck because most of us would opt for a half ton diesel to pull the cars/jeeps/etc that most of us pull.I"m not allowed to say how I know this but it came from a guy who helped develop the half ton dmax.

#9 ·
i think it would be a cool thing as most of us here do im sure and really they could build it for mpg is a midsize platform and then your not gonna lose your hd customers that need an hd, give us a nice motor with 30mpg highway the towing capacity doesnt need to be crazy its a colorado. i dont think that would steal away from the hd sales,

#10 · (Edited)
Considering the 2013 Cruze is getting a 2.0 diesel with estimates around 50mpg highway here in the US, I'd say there's a better chance now than ever. There is also going to be a new Trailblazer based of the underpinnings of the next Colorado as well. Both will be offered with those "Duramax" diesel engines abroad, hopefully "new" GM will bring it (diesel engine) here as well. A GM rep mentioned how the midsize segment trucks continued to get larger and heavier, adding costs that made 1/2Ton trucks similar in costs. Since the Colorado will be global he said costs should be significantly lower which will bring the small/midsize segment of trucks back to more competive pricing. There will be a potential for something like 25-30 combinations in other countries of this truck. Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.