Off-Road Diesel Fuel - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Off-Road Diesel Fuel

Anyone run off-road diesel fuel in their trucks? I've heard different remarks about using it and if its safe or not but was wondering if anyone uses it? I've heard you cannot run it on the newer trucks but you can on the LB7??? I know people that use it in their cummins and some older powerjokes but those motors are a whole diffferent story....
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, K&N drop in filter, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
ChevyDMax89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can use it and it wont hurt anything other than your wallet if you get caught.

:rockin2010 Camaro SS LS3 426 HP:rockin
BigRedChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

just dyed correct?
'05 CC/SB, AMSOIL 15w-40 (From Synthetic Motorsports), Cold Air Intake with a dry Nanofiber filter from AMSOIL, PPE Tuner level 1, EGR blocked, LBZ MP, lost KITTY, finished off the rest with 4" SS Magnaflow, Amsoil Torque Drive, 5K HID's, General Grabbers 265 :rockin

Synthetic Motorsports
K9Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

ya its a 1000 min fine i think if you get caught. the off road fuel if its still LSD is better for the pickup. but ya getting caught with red fuel is bad. you can get fined up to 5,000 i think in places like CA
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

From what I understand, the only difference between LSD and ULSD offroad fuel is that it is in fact dyed red so the DOT of your state knows it was sold for off road purposes only. With that said, it should be no difference what so ever in terms of performance for your truck. It stains the fuel lines, the filter, and (from I'm told) the injectors. So if you use it you will not be able to get away with legal issues from the DOT. If you live in a urban area and use it, I'm sure no one will dip you. If you live in a farm based community then watch out, your truck just became public enemy number one!

Erik
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofuelsdude View Post
From what I understand, the only difference between LSD and ULSD offroad fuel is that it is in fact dyed red so the DOT of your state knows it was sold for off road purposes only. With that said, it should be no difference what so ever in terms of performance for your truck. It stains the fuel lines, the filter, and (from I'm told) the injectors. So if you use it you will not be able to get away with legal issues from the DOT. If you live in a urban area and use it, I'm sure no one will dip you. If you live in a farm based community then watch out, your truck just became public enemy number one!

Erik
lsd and ulsd are very different and lsd is better for sure. also off road and lsd and ulsd have dont really have a connection. all on road now is ulsd and most off road now i guess is usld also. is just the tax you dont pay on the off road and the dye color to tell the difference. the LSD has 500ppm of sulfur compared to the 15ppm of the ULSD. the sulfur luburcated all the engine parts and is way better for you vehicle
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

:that LSD and ULSD is very different

Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I realize the difference. ULSD has 15 PPM of Sulfur and LSD has 500 PPM of Sulfur. What I meant to say is that there is a strong difference between ULSD and LSD off road diesel and LSD and ULSD highway diesel.

Erik
Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

all of our company powerstrokes and duramaxes may run some red fuel NOW and AGAIN. no problems yet, just dont tell

1016 hp

7.1 1/8 @ 100

11.27 @ 105
delong_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofuelsdude View Post
I realize the difference. ULSD has 15 PPM of Sulfur and LSD has 500 PPM of Sulfur. What I meant to say is that there is a strong difference between ULSD and LSD off road diesel and LSD and ULSD highway diesel.

Erik
Right, we were just getting mixed up in the wording.

ULSD off road or road is the same, just the off road has dye.

Same goes for LSD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.