Diesel Additives? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Diesel Additives?

I Thought We Werent Supposed To Use Additives At All?
I Live In Eastern Nc And We Have Low Sulfer Diesel
Is It Ok To Use An Additive And What Kind Should I Use?
I Just Bought My 2006 Cc Lbz Shrt Bed..
Thanks Guys
Phillip
DEEESEL MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

i use the powerstroke cetane booster adn additive it works very well
-limo tinted windows all the way around except winsheild
-18"MKW M25 with 285/65/R18 Toyo A/T
-Afe replacement filter
-Cogneto Leveling Kit
idrivebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I use Amsoil Diesel Concentrate (ADF) every tank in my trucks. More than a few customers have reported mileage increases near and above 1 mpg.
Diesel Nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

i have used the Lucas lubricant and it seems to work good, seems the mileage is a tad bit better! I will switch to amsoil once i finish this bottle but i needed something right away, didnt have time to wait for online shipping, you can buy it at your local auto store. not a bad price either, i paid 10 bucks and it treats 100 gallons of fuel...

2007 2500hd dmax/6 spd Ally, Crew Cab 4x4 LT2
Almost all stock except 4inch magnaflow from the kitty back!:rockin
jeffaustin65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

This additive subject is real interesting and I find it confusing. Been searching the net for the last year since I decided to get a diesel. Heard of folks using kerosene, looking for jet fuel etc. etc. Even went to couple of truckstops and had coffee with big rig drivers.
The most sane advice got so far is to buy my fuel where the big rigs fuel up. Fuel is up to snuff with additives, fresh and less chance of water contamination.
Because of the stop and go urban driving, use best 100% synthetic oil, change filters often with good brands.
If you're going to spend $$ on aftermaket products, get extra coolers for engine and tranny, more filtration for both, cooler intakes and better exhausts. Any personal advice out there???
dundee204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee204 View Post
This additive subject is real interesting and I find it confusing. Been searching the net for the last year since I decided to get a diesel. Heard of folks using kerosene, looking for jet fuel etc. etc. Even went to couple of truckstops and had coffee with big rig drivers.
The most sane advice got so far is to buy my fuel where the big rigs fuel up. Fuel is up to snuff with additives, fresh and less chance of water contamination.
Because of the stop and go urban driving, use best 100% synthetic oil, change filters often with good brands.
If you're going to spend $$ on aftermaket products, get extra coolers for engine and tranny, more filtration for both, cooler intakes and better exhausts. Any personal advice out there???
No Kerosene or Jet fuel, unless its JP8. JP8 is very similar to Diesel, and the military uses it in all its Diesel vehicles. The other fuels lack the lubrication your High pressure injection system needs. Good idea to buy fuel from a station that sells a lot of fuel. You don't want to buy at the station that has diesel in an area predominantly loaded with luxury and sports cars. Most areas here in California are ok to buy at, because there are so many diesel trucks around that the tanks get filled often.
I run additives because I spent 6 years working in Oil Refineries as a Millwright. I know what their quality control is like and the people they have working there. I want only the best for my trucks, and at half the price of the other stuff, the Amsoil stuff is a no brainer.
Diesel Nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Not that I am claiming that Stanadyne is the best fuel additive brand around but I found this information interesting. Since I haven't found any other additive site out there that have posted comparisons with other leading conventional oil brands like this. If there are I would like to see them. Follow the link below to view the PDF http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=1295
3rd owner of a 2001 Forest Green Metallic Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD CC LB Duramax LB7 low miles w/PPE Boost Valve, BD Power LH exhaust manifold, Merchant Auto high idle. Firestone Ride rite airbags, Bridgestone 245/75/R16's and siped Toyo Open Country 265/75/R16's :rockin Plan on adding a pyro and boost guage set and eventually a tuner which I am trying to find the right one for my vehicle and price range. Looking for better fuel mileage
Frozenhosehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenhosehead View Post
Not that I am claiming that Stanadyne is the best fuel additive brand around but I found this information interesting. Since I haven't found any other additive site out there that have posted comparisons with other leading conventional oil brands like this. If there are I would like to see them. Follow the link below to view the PDF http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=1295
Ill throw another vote in for Stanadyne. All there additives are up to date and it seems like they do alot of testing to make sure there additives work well and wont harm any components http://www.stanadyne.com/new/index.asp
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 02:47 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

I sent off a email to GM Service/Waranty dept. and asked the questions.

-Because of new low sulpher diesel does GM support the use of additives like Stanadyne, Amsoil and others named

-How will the use of these additives affect the waranty

-What is GMs position on the use of 100% synthetics and how do they affect the waranty, Amsiol and Castrol named

Thank you for visiting the GM Canada Website. Please note that your inquiry has been received and you will be receiving a response within 24 business hours.
Answer to be provided in 24 hrs.

Last edited by dundee204; 04-05-2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: First reply from GM
dundee204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Smile

thanks cant wait for the answers.
DEEESEL MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.