Towing Horse Trailer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Towing Horse Trailer

Not sure if it the right spot or not, but I've seen some posts on here about people towing and their weight and all that. The horse trailer stickers at almost 15k empty/dry. Lol. 3 horse slant with full living quarters. Just wonder what you guys might do to "help" the truck out and your thoughts.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I am a horse owner and pull these type of trailers regularly. I would say that a good brake controller, airbags and a set of gauges to monitor the vitals are a start. When you are towing the trailer are you having any issues?

The airbags while help control the trailer especially when the horses start moving around. If you haven't towed horses, they can easily push the rig into the next lane when they start rocking. You gain almost a sixth sense of where the horses are standing during the haul.

Also, I would say that anything to free up the breathing of the motor like your intake and exhaust will help the motor run cooler and stronger.

EFILive Tuning by Kory Willis - Edge CTS Insight
PPE Boost Valve - MBRP 5in exhaust - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
TwoFortySX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I forgot to add that increasing the fuel capacity would be a good thing too. I hate that stock I only have a 26gal fuel tank because it really limits my range. I don't like to stop once the horses are loaded until I get where I am going.

EFILive Tuning by Kory Willis - Edge CTS Insight
PPE Boost Valve - MBRP 5in exhaust - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
TwoFortySX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Do us a favor and fill out your signature with all the particulars on your truck. We have a similar setup (Sundowner 4 horse slant with converted LQ front tack room). Not sure on the weight since we just had the tack room converted over the summer.

My wife and I both have LBZs. We are both tuned with EFI Live for increased power and fuel economy, running a standard trailer brake and she is now running Rancho 9000xls. Truck pulls the trailer like a dream. Airbags and gauges are a good addition as is the fuel tank.

If I can help with product recommendation or pricing, please let me know.
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Sorry bout that. Info should be at the bottom of this one. Never had any issues pulling it or stopping it. Predator does great for adding power for towing. Truck is breathing just about as good as you can for an LLY. Using a Prodigy P3 brake controller. Love the fact I can adjust boost on initial braking. I had thought about air bags to help "smooth" out the ride. Get that typical bouncing feeling at times. Other than that I have no complaints or issues. Just trying to see what everyone else has for towing.

2005 Chevy ECSB 2500HD 4x4
AEM CAI - LBZ MP
EGR Blocker Plate
4" Straight Pipe
Predator Programmer
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I have thought about a replacement tank like the Titan tanks or I had thought of taking out my toolbox and popping in a transfer tank. Mine only has a 20 gal tank and it blows on long hauls. Why would you make a diesel truck and put a little baby fuel tank under it. Hell I had a long bed half ton Chevy and an avalanche and they both had 32 gal tanks.

AEM CAI - LBZ MP
EGR Blocker Plate
4" Straight Pipe
Predator Programmer
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgoody View Post
I have thought about a replacement tank like the Titan tanks or I had thought of taking out my toolbox and popping in a transfer tank. Mine only has a 20 gal tank and it blows on long hauls. Why would you make a diesel truck and put a little baby fuel tank under it. Hell I had a long bed half ton Chevy and an avalanche and they both had 32 gal tanks.

AEM CAI - LBZ MP
EGR Blocker Plate
4" Straight Pipe
Predator Programmer
You have a 26 gallon tank...

I have a 52 gallon Titan Tank and love it.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

You sure? I've ran mine til low fuel light come on. Topped it off and was right at 20 gallons.

AEM CAI - LBZ MP
EGR Blocker Plate
4" Straight Pipe
Predator Programmer
Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Sounds like you have it together correctly. How is the Predator working for you? Most shy away from them.
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:10 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I had the predator on my 04.5 and had absolutely no issues with it. Sold that truck to my dad, bought a Titan, and 3 months later done some trading and ended up with the 05 I got now. Bought another predator for it with the newer software. Now on my 05 I'm having rail pressure issues and luckily found someone else on here who is having the exact same problem I am. After a wot run or romp occasionally it will limp "after" you let off. P1093 code. Other than that, I think for the money it's well worth it. Tryin to save up for efi live now and convince the wife lol.
Black truck is my old 04.5.
White truck is my 05.

AEM CAI - LBZ MP
EGR Blocker Plate
4" Straight Pipe
Predator Programmer
Attached Images

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.