Diesel or back to gas - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Diesel or back to gas

Well I'm at a crossroads with staying diesel or returning to a gasser!

My 2001 Chevy 2500HD is running good after all the problems I've had over 5 years. After having first replaced the injector pump and months later the injectors in the original motor in 2009 and that taking a dump 2 months later. I am on engine 2 and in the Spring did another injector pump and all 8 injectors for 6300.

I have about bought my truck twice over! Now it needs $2600 in front end work which is why I'm deciding its time to let him go.

I've found several trucks in my area that are fairly low to medium high miles in both diesel and gas trucks.

I want to stay under $30000 with no downpayment and I found a 2008 GMC ext cab 6.6 which seems like a nice rig with 83??? on it and came from Texas. The Vortec I like is also an 08 with 28,??? and a crew cab and both are in really great shape.

My concern is I don't know much about the newer D-Maxs and how they are holding up and what repair costs I will be getting into in the future and diesel being more expensive and all! I don't tow on a regular basis but I would still like to get good MPGs with my driving 90 miles to work on the hwy every couple of days. Living in Alaska means my diesel is plugged in more during the winter an also drives costs up which in this economy we are all struggling! I did have my truck paid off but took out a loan on it to pay off a higher credit car so now I owe $13000. What would be the best asking price at the dealer for it? I am hoping I can get pay off for it or within a thousand!

That's why I'm asking my D-Max family what they would do and what my best options are as I'm trying to stay under $400 for a payment.

THANKS!!!!
3rd owner of a 2001 Forest Green Metallic Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD CC LB Duramax LB7 low miles w/PPE Boost Valve, BD Power LH exhaust manifold, Merchant Auto high idle. Firestone Ride rite airbags, Bridgestone 245/75/R16's and siped Toyo Open Country 265/75/R16's :rockin Plan on adding a pyro and boost guage set and eventually a tuner which I am trying to find the right one for my vehicle and price range. Looking for better fuel mileage

Last edited by Frozenhosehead; 11-10-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Frozenhosehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Hang it!...Fire!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Get a ranger and save money
Belltech 3inch drop shackles, T Bar bolts all the way out, DDM Tuning 6000k Low/3000k Fog, and about 50lbs of Zipties
TDIpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Wow a lot a problems with your 01. 2600 seems cheaper than buying a new truck but if your sick of your truck get the 08 duramax. Don't buy a gasser there junk.
2006 2500 HD SLT ECLB, LBZ, LED tailights, black turn signals , black aftermarket headlights,265/75/16s uniroyal larados,Bilstein shocks,Banks 4inch exhaust, Cat adp and 2 micron cat filter , amsoil oil ,And S&B air intake good to be driving a diesel again.

2002 Chevy silverado 2500 HD, LB7, traded it on a gasser and then traded it in for LBZ.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

With as strong as gas trucks are today, most people do not NEED a diesel (me included). A gas truck will pull most anything a diesel will pull, just not as easily or as well. I've had gas 2500s and have a diesel right now. I loved both of them, I got a diesel because I always wanted a diesel. Was it worth it, realistically, no it was not.

When I had a gas truck, there were few modifications out there to make power, most gas performance parts are a waste of money. I saved a lot of money because I left it relatively stock. Fast forward to a diesel. The aftermarket for diesel performance is bigger than cutting springs on your Honda civic it seems. Many people get bit by the bug and end up dumping a ton of money in their already expensive truck. Then something breaks. More $$$.

If you tow heavy on a regular basis, it's a no brainier.

In the end, you have to ask yourself why you Need/Want a diesel and evaluate it from there. I don't know if I could go back to driving a gas truck, if I did, it would probably be a Vortec MAX. (Modified of course).
5" MBRP Turbo Back / MagnaFlow DownPipe
AirDog II DF-165
PCV Reroute / ProFab EGR Delete
TransGo Jr. / Allison Deep Pan / Mag Hytec Diff Cover
GO GATORS
firefighter37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I love my LBZ and probably will never need to buy another truck, but for what I use it for a gasser would do just as well. When you add in the foolishness associated with regen and EPA stuff, it just doesn't seem worth it. If I had to buy a truck today it would be a gasser; heresy, I know........
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies and i will not buy a smaller truck or a Ford. We have moose and they are like hitting a brick wall!

I will just have to test drive both and see what I think. The gasser has less miles than the diesel but miles on a Dmax are like miles on a Harley, breaking in! I will evaluate all the reasons I need to have a diesel or gas and a crew or extended cab and then the amount of time my truck stays plugged in at -40 but its free electricity at work.

What I can afford and getting a good deal are a little more important than the fuel I put in it.
3rd owner of a 2001 Forest Green Metallic Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD CC LB Duramax LB7 low miles w/PPE Boost Valve, BD Power LH exhaust manifold, Merchant Auto high idle. Firestone Ride rite airbags, Bridgestone 245/75/R16's and siped Toyo Open Country 265/75/R16's :rockin Plan on adding a pyro and boost guage set and eventually a tuner which I am trying to find the right one for my vehicle and price range. Looking for better fuel mileage
Frozenhosehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

IMO if u pick the 08 LMM do u plan on doing a DPF delete & all the other fixins? If not Id pass on it & look for another Duramax like a LBZ or get the gasser. As for MPG regen once per tank full will kill MPG.
EFI Live, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually rear light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin LTX M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 stock. (Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 11-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

if you do go with gas go with a 1500. ive had a 1500 with a 6.0L init and a 2500 with a 6.0l. the 2500 would not get anything above 9.0 mpgs and if i was on it 7.0mpgs. i tryed everything to get better fuel miles and nothing worked. i put a bullydog in to it and nothing but i could go over 100mph.. my 1500 6.0 was way faster, lighter and drove like a dream i loved that truck but the dealer gave me 29,xxx for the truck when it was 3 or 4 years old. that truck would get an average between 14.5 and towing a two place snowmobile trailer 12.0 so before you jump into a gas 2500 i would say test drive a 1500 first.

2012 LT blue LML CC/SB 20% tint 6,k hid's N-Fab Nerf Bars, pioneer avh-p8400bh, MBRP 5'', DRP down pipe, EGR block off with DRP up-pipe, H&S MINI-MAXX, DRP 3'' driver side intercooler pipe AirDog 165 built tranz is on the way
wheelie-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

IMO you got a bad taste from diesel with the LB7 injector problems. The newer trucks don't hAve many issues if any. I've had my LBZ for over a year and haven't done a thing to it except for maint.

That being said, I won't ever go back to a gasser. I hate towing with them, I hate the mileage, and the drivability is way worse IMO. I have a has work truck, 1 ton (2012 Chevy 6.0) and every little baby hill it downshifts, wraps out on RPMs and doesn't go anywhere. That same hill in my LBZ I can cruise 6th towing a light trailer!

Agreed, the newer trucks LML I would not want, especially after the warranty was up, if I left it stock. And it's only going to get worse. The next trucks will more than likely have a locked ECM and stricter emissions. If I were you I would snag up a LBZ or LMM, kill the emissions and drive it. You'll like it way more than that LB7 or a gasser. I will pay the difference in gas bs diesel prices all day. It is well worth it to me. Just my thoughts, not telling you to go diesel or gas! Best of luck!

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, 18X9 BMF Novakanes Stealth wrapped with 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, rare parts tie rods, 45 gallon transfer flow replacement tank, Amp power steps, All Season bulletproof trans/power steering line kit, Airdog II 165, Nicktane with Cat filter, Edge Insight CTS

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports

Last edited by TakeEm; 11-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeEm View Post
IMO you got a bad taste from diesel with the LB7 injector problems. The newer trucks don't hAve many issues if any. I've had my LBZ for over a year and haven't done a thing to it except for maint.

That being said, I won't ever go back to a gasser. I hate towing with them, I hate the mileage, and the drivability is way worse IMO. I have one as work truck, 1 ton (2012 Chevy 6.0) and every little baby hill it downshifts, wraps out on RPMs and doesn't go anywhere. That same hill in my LBZ I can cruise 6th towing a light trailer!
lmao hahaha my work truck is a 3500 4door 8'bed and i towed a standup jet-ski on a one place trailer and thats all the truck did... junk lol

2012 LT blue LML CC/SB 20% tint 6,k hid's N-Fab Nerf Bars, pioneer avh-p8400bh, MBRP 5'', DRP down pipe, EGR block off with DRP up-pipe, H&S MINI-MAXX, DRP 3'' driver side intercooler pipe AirDog 165 built tranz is on the way
wheelie-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.