I'm new need help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

I'm new need help

I bought my first diesel its an 06 duramax I'm trying to learn about tuners exhaust and air filter can anyone tell me the best exhaust for good sound and a good tuner and air filter I'm not looking for extreme stuff I don't wanna build transmission I just want a great sounding daily driver that has enough hp torque but not to much to be tearing stuff up also will I have to change injectors if I use a tuner? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated
sbc423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Use the search bar on top of the screen. Type what you want to know about. Bam, tons of good threads with all your answers.

No need for an intake. If you want it loud get a straight pipe. Pipe is pipe. No you don't have to change your injectors to run a tuner. Get EFI live.

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply and y is a air intake not usefull I heard it makes u hear the turbo better and improve mpg
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

No. The stock intake on these trucks is good up to 500HP and flow way good. They also have the best filtration IMO. Wait until you put exhaust on. You will have all the turbo sound you will ever need!

I recommend:

Kory Willis from PPEI
Nick at duramaxtuner
Or Rob at ATP

for EFI Live. I know ATP is having a black Friday sale, with exhaust and EFI packages. May check it out to save a dime or two. I ran my LBZ tuned for a year without a lift pump. That being said, I also recommend putting on a lift pump before it's tuned. Runs way smoother and pulls harder. Also, block your EGR. Post up a pic of this beast!

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Hey bud, as far as exhausts go Diamondeye, MBRP and afe Power are all popular and provide improvements in lower egts, small bump in hp and provide a better sound. Normally the 5" systems have a nice grawl to them over the 4" but its a personal preference.

As far as tuning goes, custom tuning with an EFI Live autocal or tuned ECM are about the best out there for the Dmax. With this setup, you get a switch that allows you to switch between up to 5 different tunes on the fly as you need them. I offer Kory Willis' tuning and can help with exhaust selection as well.

As far as CAIs go, they are right in that the stock setup is pretty good for up to about 500hp. If you are set on getting one, afe Power and S&B are popular. Go with a dry filter over wet. The wet ones tend to foul out the MAF sensor.

If I can be of assistance with pricing, let me know.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Okay great how much roughly is the egr block and also the tuner and 5 inch exhaust that you are referring too i may stay away from intake if its just wasted money
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

And is this egr block a tune or involve removing/adding parts and important hearing that doing egr delete requires deleting something else as well?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Any tune that adds more than 100 HP over stock, can damage the Allison.

The TransGo Jr. Allison shift kit, is recommended for the 6 speed.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc423 View Post
And is this egr block a tune or involve removing/adding parts and important hearing that doing egr delete requires deleting something else as well?
EGR block is cheap, ~20 bucks many supporting vendors supply the plate, and helps to prevent soot from being introduced into the intake.

The items i have added to my truck are what I did to achieve the results you wanted. I went with a 4" exhaust over the five because i have read the 5" has a slight more drown especially when on the highway. I might add the quite tone front pipe to mine because i love the sound outside, just want it quite as possible inside when on the highway.

My recommendation is go with EFI live for a tuner! My edge tuner is great, never a problem but now want EFi live so just start there.
Thanks to ATP Trucks and Husker Diesel.
Yellow is Good is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you are looking for more turbo whistle, remove the turbo resonator, it's the black "box" on top of the engine that says "6.6" on it. Plug the hole on the turbo with a rubber plumber cap, I think it is 2 1/2"

For exhaust, if you want to hear the turbo whistle and lower your EGTs, go with a turbo back straight pipe. It does require removing the catalytic convertor and muffler, it is your choice if you want to do that. If you have to smog your vehicle, it will never pass. I bought my 4" straight pipe on ebay for $285. I would suggest getting an aluminum one, I bought galvanized and had to replace it after 3 years.

duramax 4 straight pipe duramax 4 straight pipe | eBay

Start with those mods, if you want a little more whistle, a cold air intake with a METAL intake tube will produce a little more turbo sound, but not much.

Here is a video of my truck with 4" straight pipe, cold air intake, and turbo resonator removed. I clipped a lapel mic to the bumper on the muffler side, that's why it is so loud. It's actually pretty quiet in the cab. My girlfriend loves when I go under a bridge boosted and then let off

Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.