Dependability question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Dependability question

In the process of purchasing an 06 ccsb LBZ with about 130k miles on it. What's the lifespan on the motor and drivetrain especially, if the previous owner kept up with regular maintenance and abuse was minimal? Just trying to figure out if it's worth shelling out 24k on or not considering I put on 25k miles a year on my truck. Don't wanna find out at 200k it will need a total rebuild
DaJokr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Keep up with maintenance as it should, which won't be cheap, and expect 3-500k out of it before anything major needs attention. Even though you would only be needing maybe head gaskets & studs. Don't tune it if you want longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Plan is stock till its paid off, or modified for mileage gains only. Seems like most maintanence or repairs I can do myself instead of needing a shop. Is it true the injectors on LBZ are easy to replace? That's my biggest concern.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Why is it a concern? Have you owned other diesel trucks before? Injectors aren't really a concern on LLY and up trucks if you use good additives. Shouldn't need attention until at least 225k miles and probably a lot more. Things you'll want/need to do is the pump rub upgrade, waterpump if it hasn't been done, trans fluid, spin on, front and rear diffs, hydroboost flush, brake fluid flush, coolant flush. Normal stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

First diesel. And my wife and her family are all extremely opposed to me making the purchase. Money is not the issue.

Asked about any issues with the truck in the past and got this in an email back:

"Just checked warranty history. It has had numerous trany cooler lines, a
power control module at 25,000 kms, egr valve, blower motor for the
interior fan, mirror switch and some door switch."

Don't think there are any real concerns there, but I'm an import guy by nature, and the last car I owned from Chevy was a pos. guys I work with swear by these older duramax trucks though.

I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into so as not to get stuck forking out an endless supply of money into the truck to keep it on the highway. I'm saving for a house so I don't want to use house funds for truck repairs is all.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You'll be more than happy with a LBZ. Most guys don't replace fuel systems until over 500,xxx from what I've seen.

They will leak tranny cooler hoses, get a pair made up at a hydraulic shop or order some pre-made ones online and you'll never have another issue.

With you being so far north go full synthetic for all the fluids and you'll be good.

I'd get a EFI DSP5 tuning setup, block or delete the EGR (delete if it's in the funds), re-route the PCV, straight the exhaust (trust me) and get a lift pump. Also throw a Transgo Jr. shift kit in the trans if you plan on adding ANY power. and I definitely recommend getting it tuned

Absolutely drop your transfer case and do the pump rub fix. Gives you piece of mind and cheap insurance for your T-case

basically do all the maintenance, and then look at my signature. I've done just about everything there is to do to them longevity and performance wise before building the transmission to hold big power.

Please reply or PM me if you have any questions. This LBZ and my dad's 2010 sierra 6.2 gas job have been the best trucks we've ever owned

The glow plug control/power module happened to all these trucks, mine got it at 17,xxx

And the previous poster who mentioned something about head gaskets has a LLY, LBZ's typically crack a piston (600+whp) before they will lift a head. And very very rarely they will break a crank.

I just told you to do a bunch of stuff to your truck, but in all honesty people have driven LBZ's north of 750k miles very very close to stock. The stuff I recommended will only help and make your driving experience more pleasurable/reliable.
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Roughly what would I be looking at cost wise for all that? Since I won't be doing it all at once I would imagine, would there be a particular order you would recommend. efi I planned on, through rob if it was possible. But that will come as funds roll in. One more year of school to go.

Fun factor is needed lol. I just wanna cream my wife in here 07 ford edge for once, but the thing moves like a bat out of hell!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

1. all fluids and filters changed (depends on fluid/brand) do the Transgo Jr. while you are in the trans (~80 bucks)
2. T-case pump rub kit (>100 bucks)
3. exhaust (down pipe 130) 4" straight pipe (230ish)
4. tuning (350 ish if you went the route I did)
5. Block or delete EGR (11 dollars or ~300 dollars)
6. Reroute PCV (~50-60 dollars)
7. lift pump and rail plug (you'll most likely drain the rails on your big tune, I do on my 120. Also good for the CP3 and filtration ~300-700 bucks depending on what route you go. I'd recommend the ADII 165 ~670 bucks, then delete the stock fuel filter head/filter they suck)
8. cosmetic mods you may desire
my "build" thread
ATP Trucks
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

here's what I have done maintenance wise. Definitely expensive, but key if you want it to run for a long time
My maintenance agenda
my "build" thread
ATP Trucks
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

great thread thanks lbbrew...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.