Recovery Section - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Recovery Section

Any interest in making a section for recovery methods, tools, tips/tricks? Recovery as in pulling vehicles out when they are stuck or otherwise immovable.

Just an idea.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
USAF-DenaliDRW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

I don't know that we have enough off-roading attention, but you could absolutely create a thread about it.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I understand not maybe as an offroading focus but maybe just as a roadside recovery focus.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

As in self recovery? You can use many different things, but there's usually nothing better than having a winch and a buddy with you.
Dan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

Off road recovery is always a challenge, there are almost never the same situations twice. be it vehicle, environment, and weather. The one thing you CAN keep constant is your equipment. Good equipment is key to successful recovery, be it on or off road. Following are some things that are inexpensive to buy and are invaluable to have

Standard Recovery:

Tow Strap:
A definite must have is a good 20 or 30 foot tow strap. This is usually the workhorse of your pulling components. You want a purpose built strap, as a standard nylon strap will not stretch and rebound enough for it to "snatch" properly.

Shovel:
A spade shovel can in many ways...pay off in spades. Whether its digging around a frame, or moving some stones for traction, it beats using your hands (trust me).

Gloves:
You can get a good set of work gloves for under 10 bucks, recoveries can really rip you hands up bad, its cheap protection and they work.

Safety Glasses:
Again, these are a really cheap insurance policy to prevent serious injury. I always have at least 2 sets with me. You never know what and when something is gonna fly, shoot, snap, or drop on/at you.

Tool Kit:
I carry 3, one is mainly for small electrical, the other 2 are socket and wrench combos/general tools. If I know I am going far from home I toss my electrical "go bag" in which has a fluke dmm, soldering iron, heat shrink, solderless connectors, various sized zip ties, and various sized e-tape. You never know what you are going to encounter out there, better to be over prepared than under prepared.

Wood:
Some rough cut chunks of wood can be very useful out there. 2x2's, 2x4's, and 4x4's can really save your ass, 3 feet is really the max you would need.

Bottle Jack (not factory):
A 12 bottle jack can be had for under 50 bucks in most places, and will lift most anything (within reason). Coupled with a 4x4 and shovel you can lift the corners of the truck enough to put stuff under the tires to get some traction.

these are all things that are cheap and effective...

Winch Recovery:

Winch recovery calls for a lot of the same equipment as vehicle to vehicle recovery. There are some things that are much different and much more expensive.

Winch: Selecting a winch can be somewhat difficult with all the options available. The biggest choice is weight rating. MAKE SURE YOU CHOSE A WINCH THAT LEAVES PLENTY OF ROOM. This means, if you have a 7000 pound truck, an 8000 pound winch severely limits you. Remember, a truck on dry ground and a truck stuck in mud or deep snow are 2 totally different loads. Mounting options vary from hitch mount, external box mount, custom mount, and winch bumper. Again select the choice that will best suit your needs. Winches go between 400 and 2300 bucks depending on company and load rating.

IMPORTANT
Single Line Pull: This is the max rating for the winch with only 1 full layer of wire around the winch drum. When a winch is said to pull a max of 10000 pounds it is when this condition is met. The manufacturer will tell you how much it is derated for each additional wrap. For example, my winch is rated 17500 pounds single line pull, 2 layers is 16500, 3 layers is 15750, and 4 layers is 14500. Remember this when selecting a winch. This rating is because as the more line you have on the winch the more it can crush and damage the wire underneath and also pull the wire between wraps.

Snatch Blocks: These are invaluable to any winch system. Not only will it allow you to pay out more line to get a stronger pull, it will also allow you to double the pulling force (NOT THE WEIGHT RATING) of the winch. You can also use it to change the direction of the line in tight situations. Its the same as any block setup, 1 snatch block = 2:1, 2 blocks = 3:1, etc. Now, when you increase your force, you decrease your speed. So if your line speed is 10 feet per minutes, adding a snatch block brings it down to 5 feet per minute. Most winches come with them, but they can be purchased separately.

Tree Saver: This is a strap that can be put around a tree during recovery as an anchor point to keep from damaging trees. I use my tow strap, I really need to get a tree saver though. They are usually shorter and not as stretchy.

Clevis, D-ring, Shackle: There are a bunch of names for them, they serve many purposes. Great for attaching things to other things and not having to worry about a hook slipping off.

Chain: Sometimes the best way to hook to a vehicle or object is chain and hooks. BEWARE, shock loading chain can cause it to violently snap, this is why i did not include it in the standard recovery section. You really need to pay attention to the load rating, Breaking load is nice to know but you really want to look at WLL or working load limit. If the chain is not worn or abused it "shouldn't" break when used properly. There are different grades, pay the extra money and get grade 70. Its worth it.

Last edited by 2500-HD; 11-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.
2500-HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1969 View Post
As in self recovery? You can use many different things, but there's usually nothing better than having a winch and a buddy with you.
Self recovery or recovering another vehicle. Example, see pic.

Attached Images

Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I definitely think this is an interesting topic, I always have my tow straps on hand in the winter for when I run into vehicles like the one in the pic above^
ARP Studs
Built Front End
Need more Air and Fuel
12.830@105.86mph
The S.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

If there was enough desire for it, I think we'd be all over it. Since it's not an offroad focus, I just don't think we get enough recovery attention to create a subsection just for recovery.

My suggestion is to create a thread, if it takes off and we see other threads, I will talk to the admins and see if we can add it.

FWIW, I don't make the final decision either way, just posting my opinion.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

Ive been pushing for an offroad section for a while now lol
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

can we make this a sticky?

01 gmc sierra slt crew cab 4x4 6.6 dmax, efi live by Idaho Rob,
315/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on 16" Moto Metals,
3" body lift, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe with 7" tip,
Z Series Autometer Boost and Pyro, 6k Highs 8k Lows and 3K fogs, tinted windows
cat adapter and donaldson filter, adII
horn intake mod, tinted tails, lots of plasti dip
led interior and dash lights, retros led reverse lights

Big thanks to ATP TRUCKS and ALLIGATOR PERFORMANCE
suttert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.