Block heater tripping GFCI - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Block heater tripping GFCI

I had the truck plugged in all night last night for the first time this year. I came out in the morning and it had tripped the GFCI on the outlet. Any one else had this problem? Any good fix?
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Could it possibly be the cord you ran from the truck to the plug in? Check that out first
EFI Live tuned by Idaho Rob, DSP5, ATP
Cognito set at 8" Nor-cal Truck
Fox 2.0 shocks all around, Deaver 6" springs
SS idler support/ Rare parts tie rods
37x13.50x20" toyo MT's/ XD Hoss wheels, Fuel Octanes
HID's All on mod/ AMP reaserch steps
Varty Yo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Ya play hard Ya pay hard
Lifetime Supporting Member

i ran a heavier gage cord, solved my problem.If that dont work try to plug into a reg outlet?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Cord is good, it's the same cord I used last year. Also tried it on my miter saw to test it. Worked fine.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I had same problem, replaced the GFI plug and problem was fixed. 6-7$ at Home Depot and 5 minutes to replace it. Also put it on a programmable timer so it comes on at about 4:30 AM instead of running up my electric bill all night. Works great.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I had this issue as well. It wasn't with my diesel, but I live in Alaska and I had to leave my vehicle plugged in over night a lot as it would drop to -60. My problem was I had a 3 way plug that the oil pan heater, battery blanket and block heater plugged into. The three way plug had gone bad causing my GFCI to fault out. swapped my three way plug and everything was good to go afterwards.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by premis View Post
I had the truck plugged in all night last night for the first time this year. I came out in the morning and it had tripped the GFCI on the outlet. Any one else had this problem? Any good fix?
Just curious, but why do you plug it in? I used to until I realized it has to be well below 0 before it is necessary.
4" exhaust w/muffler, EGR delete/Sinister diesel, Kodiak LBZ mouthpiece, PCV rerouted, Nicktane/CAT adapter, Autometer pyro & boost gauges, EFI Live by Kory, Transgo, pump rub kit, LBZ intake conv, H2's, Debadged
nick1camper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1camper View Post
Just curious, but why do you plug it in? I used to until I realized it has to be well below 0 before it is necessary.
I've found that plugging it in allows much quicker warm up times and no need for "high idle". That saves me on fuel and neighbors getting mad about a jet engine taxiing in my driveway.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^^ And, you get warm air in the cab before you get out of the neighborhood.

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I've tried multiple cords and multiple outlets, it is definitely a problem with the truck. Does anyone know if the cord can be removed easily so I can check it before ordering a block heater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.