Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Just sell the truck?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  travis42 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado with the LB7, specs are below. Turbo went out in it right before Thanksgiving, saw that the impeller was hitting the housing. Took it to the local diesel shop and they cleaned it up and put a new cartridge in it and rebuilt it and gave me a one year warranty on it. Took it back put a new aftermarket DP on it and come to find out the turbo is not getting oil. Took the oil line off the turbo and started the truck and not a drop of oil came out. At idle the truck has 35psi of oil pressure just like it always has. This has come at the worst possible time and my wife and I simply can’t afford to tear the motor down. We are just thinking about selling it as it sits and walk away from it. Are we crazy here or what does everyone think? Any idea what we could expect to get out of it as it sits? Parting it out just really isnt an option for us.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LS 4WD Crew Cab Shortbed with the 6.6L
Duramax Diesel

It's a dark metallic grey color but it really looks black to everyone
229,109 Miles
Banks 6 gun Bundle: 6 Gun Tuner, Banks IQ Display, Turbo Back 4in Exhaust, Cold Air Intake
Profab 3in DP (Brand new)
Full fiberglass bed cover painted to match the truck
Aftermarket Prodigy inertia brake controller
New stock rebuilt turbo just put on this week with 1 year warranty
Brand new Good Year all-terrain tires within the past 3 months
New front brakes this week, rear at 70%
Fresh Fuel Filter this week
New Serpentine belt this week

It's been a really really good truck to me other than normal maintenance items. I've have never even had a breakdown in it and I've tried to take really good care of it. I have had the truck for almost 2 years as a daily
driver. Never really did any heavy driving or towing with it other than a small ATV trailer locally. I only got it because I just had a diesel calling.

See less See more
#2 ·
Idk how much a mechanic u are bbut maybe someone can tell u what to look for

Maybe do a lil diagnosis on it before just sellin it.

#3 ·
I think I have diagnosed it unless there is something I’m missing. I’m a helicopter mechanic for the military so I have a good background Id like to think. From everything I’m reading if the turbo is not getting oil its due to the #4 camshaft bearing being spun and preventing oil from getting through the passage up to the turbo. GM put out a TB on this and it says replace the motor if this occurs. It’s hard with the daily driver down hard broke like this.

#4 ·
From everything I’m reading if the turbo is not getting oil its due to the #4 camshaft bearing being spun and preventing oil from getting through the passage up to the turbo. GM put out a TB on this and it says replace the motor if this occurs. It’s hard with the daily driver down hard broke like this.
Hmmm. If you hadn't mentioned the GM TSB I was going to blame it on improper installation by the guys who rebuilt the turbo. If you suspect cam bearings, I'd send out an oil sample and get it analyzed. They should be able to tell you if there is a lot of bearing material in the oil. The mail order places charge $8 or so and my local CAT place is ~$30...not cheap, but it sure beats the price of another vehicle.

#5 ·
I just changed the oil in it when I put on the turbo. Think it will still show up? Its only drove about 2 miles on the oil change plus about 10 minutes idle warm up time. Im not even sure where to get the oil checked at have any online recomendations?

#6 ·
Blackstone Labs is one. They should ask you how many miles are on the oil and a few other similar questions so they can take into account the fact that the oil is so fresh. Might be best to call them and see what they can do for ya....they seem very knowledgeable.

If it's not an engine oiling problem (cam bearings) then I'd suspect the work that was done to it. If they kinked the turbo oil feed line when they put it back on, something like that might explain it. Whole situation has me curious...a lot of engines I've seen with bad cam bearings also had horrible oil pressure or the oil pressure wouldn't rise with RPMs. Seems like it should be more obvious if the cam bearing(s) are wasted.

#8 ·
Probably cheaper to put in a used motor compared to rebuilding the engine. Cam saddles would probably need align boring if it spun a bearing, and that ain't cheap

#9 ·
I would run it as is and run a remote oil line off the side of the block like aftermarket turbos do and just plug the oil supply line in the valley.
Sent from a black cloud and the smell of burnt rubber

#10 ·
I would approach this two different ways.

If you plan to leave the truck stock then you could maybe find a cheap junk yard motor, but you are taking a chance on it.

You could also find a reputable builder and buy a built engine that will meet your needs today and future upgrade needs. There are "budget" builds you can do that will help increase the reliability of the engine. Keep in mind "budget" on a Duramax isn't cheap.

I know that ATPTrucks.com works with a builder in Idaho that does a very good job, also SoCal has a very good engine. SoCal does charge a premium for their engines though and may not be a "budget" option.

If you do build a motor, don't go 100% stock as it won't make sense for you.

At least go LBZ rods, LB7 pistons, keyed crank/cam, balanced (IMO this is crucial, internally balanced is well worth the extra IMO too.), etc...

My main point here is for a small percentage more then a used engine that has an unknown past, you might be able to get a mildly built motor that you know the history on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.