Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Not dog friendly Colorado

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Mr. Neptune 
#1 ·
In the last few months there has been an issue with Police officers shooting family dogs because they were "Threatened”.

Colorado cops criticized for shooting restrained dog | The Raw Story

Another one happened Monday.
Adams County deputy accused of wrongfully shooting, killing dog | 9news.com

I have to admit that I am a dog guy and if a cop came in and shot my dog I would be equally upset. The post office carriers carry mace in case they come across an aggressive dog, why do cops think they have the right to kill?

I have always supported my local law enforcement but they are making it harder and harder to believe in them and their actions. Let me come to your house and shoot your pet, a family member and see how you feel about it. Does this kind of thing happen where you live?

And on a side note concerning dogs, I am pro-pit bull. I have had several of them in my life and they are the most loving dogs in the world. I firmly believe that a dog is the direct reflection of its owner and that there is no such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad owners.

See less See more
#2 ·
That makes me sick. If you're that scared of a dog please turn your badge in. We dont want or need your "protection."

#3 ·
Totally agree. And in neither story does it ever say "we asked the owner to restrain the dog or lock it up" and in the one story animal control even had a neck loop on the animal and had it under complete control.

My kids would be broken hearted if they seen something like that happen to our dog or even a friends dog.

#4 ·
Cops not far from here tied a dog up to a tree and then shot it in front of a bus load of kids. I believe he actually got fired though.

#5 ·
I remember something similar in the summertime. There were acupel news stories of cops killing pit bulls when they would go on a call. I only heard of it happening in the city though.

#6 ·
Wow if I was the owner of the dog in the second story there is no way I would be out of jail right now. That cop would have the shit kicked out of him for that. I'm really sick of the double standard officers get. If a civilian shot a dog like this they would be going to jail with heavy fines while a police officer gets put on paid leave for a couple weeks and is back to work like nothing happened.

#7 ·
I dont care what anyone says, my dogs are my family and will be defended as such!

#8 ·
The only problem with going after the officer is then all of sudden some how his actions now have merit. Trust me if there ever became a eye for an eye system in this country I believe a lot of people would second guess what they are doing.....

You wrongfully kill my dog I kill yours.....
You hurt a member of my family and I hurt one of yours and so on

But yes there seems to be a huge double standard in Police and gov't agencys but what to do.....what to do......

I know I will write my congressman a letter and complain......oh wait who is it that protects this guy when he does something stupid....police.......and who protects the Police when they do something stupid.....my congressman

#9 ·
If he shot the dog and you went after him beating the shit out of him for his stupidity there still wouldn't be merit in his actions but you would be going to jail for assaulting an officer because of his stupidity killing one of your family members.

Eye for eye does have its draw backs though such as if you really are innocent. But yes the double standard really blows because it ties our hands without being able to react how we should be allowed with minimal repercussions. Yeah congressman you probably read the letter if you got lucky then just pitch it.

#10 ·
Only time they should even consider to shoot the dog is if its mauling away at one of them, but even then pepper spray would work. I am pro pit pull to, it completely relies on how the dog is brought up and how it is treated. How could you say a breed is vicious, might as well say certain races are dangerous and we should ban them to.

#11 ·
only shoot them if they are a direct eminent threat is what we were trained to do.

#12 · (Edited)
I live in Biloxi Ms and we are one of the few areas to still allow running deer with dogs, which some agree with some dont. I have been raised hunting in this tradition along with other ways as well (still hunting). Our hunting territory butts up to a seebee firing range (which was not active at the time) and a deer ran out of our territory and into the range. Well all of the hunting club stopped hunting and seen to retrieving our dogs. We drove to the front gate of the range and nicely asked if we could retrieve our dogs as this is the first time they had ever got into that range. Before i start ranting i want to say i respect and thank our armed forces. So anyways this little POS security guard laughs at us and tells us "you will never see those dogs again i promise you that". Again we have never met this guy or had any contact with him before this. He pulled off and went down twards the dogs out of site and about 5 min later 3-4 gun shots ring out slowly in about a 10 second period. At that time we knew what happened. We beeped the dogs tracking collars and they were not moving. We searched all around the perimeter of the range and we found 3 bloody collars that had been cut and tried to hide and destroy them. We called the news and they did a report on it on the 5pm news. Now the US Navy is doing an investigation along with the local police department. I wish i knew his name i would go to his house but of course thats all kept secret for his security. To make it even better there were actually some of his buddies on the news websites discussion section defending him and talking about we deserve it because we are all idiots down here in mississippi and we should be shot as well. I responded to all of those who threatened me and my family in personal messages and told them any day they wanna meet up just let me know and i would gladly meet up with them and see how bad they think they are. Needless to say they wont even respond back. My question is, Is this who we want representing our country? A bunch of bad asses at shooting dogs and running their mouths "safely" over the internet. People like this are the reason other countries hate americans and its also the reason gun control is starting to make since. They give some jackass a gun who abuses their authority. Like i said i support and admire "most" of our military and police personnel but its sad when they do something like this. It makes you realize what kind of idiots they are accepting into our armed forces. The really sad thing is there were actually other service men taking up for him and trying to justify his acts. I hope his gets kicked out the military and mentally evaluated. I can only hope i see him again for it wont be too good for him.

#20 ·
One of my fiance's friends (student in Vet school) had a male roommate who was in the Navy and going to school. Well he kept bringing new puppies home all the time and every few weeks the dog would come up with a broken leg or other items then disappear after awhile. After sometime she ended up going to police cause the guy was being really creepy and reporting him. In the time he lived with her he went through about 5 dogs in about a year. Her being a vet she documented everything and handed it to the police and they because looking into him. Long story short he's currently in jail facing a slew of charges and has been kicked out of the Navy.

I'm sure this guy will be removed from the military as well and could possibly face jail time.

#13 ·
My god... my dogs are my children especially my hunting dog. This kind of thing is disgusting. I would be livid. Sorry for your loss ^^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#14 ·
I wonder if the cop would've responded with the same deadly force if the call had been about a black lab. And it's no f**king wonder the dog was pretty intense when they grabbed it.....they attempted to use TASERS on it!!! My gosh, shock the dog a few times, wrap a rope around it's neck and it gets a little amped up.....NO F**KING DUH!! Electrocute the cop once or twice and then chase him with a stick and see what happens.

I love that the neighbor even specified that they never indicated the dog was being hostile....just that it was "out" and they didn't want it to run away.

I <3 my three pits at home and will never give them up...and if you shoot them then you really ought to have a decent reason so that I don't park my truck in your living room while you're watching tv at night.

#15 ·
Itz upsettin 2 hear abuse animal stories...my whole family has "THE BAD BREEDS"my bro has 2 pitts, my nephew has a pit, both my nieces have pitts & I have a rottie...my dog would defend me, damn rite ill defend him...

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
Doggie ban coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Doggie already in some counties of states...my mom use 2 live in an appt and noted certain doge, Bad Breeds couldnt be there...1 wuz German Shepard...but a Husky wiz alrite...hmmm

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·
Agreed, i feel the same way, and what was more ironic is that we all had our guns (from hunting) with us when they shot our dogs. It infuriated me beyond belief but shooting him wasn't ever a "legit" thought at the time. But if i do ever get my hands on the guy, ill just say i will make him pay for what he did to me and my grandfathers dogs.

#22 ·
Yeah in the first story where they put the neck hoop on the dog you can clearly see that the dog is actually trying to flee like any dog or person would do when feeling trapped.

I am glad that this thread has had this many responses. I see that we only got a response from 1 law enforcement person but I would like to hear more from officers, Fireman, first responders on what your local policy is and how it should have been handled. I feel there are better ways to handle this than with lethal force.

Pit Bulls - Here in Colorado there is huge controversy over them. They are labeled as a dangerous breed and some county’s it’s illegal to own them. And in some you can own them but must carry $100,000 insurance policy. And this is all because some owners raised their dogs to be aggressive. I blame irresponsible owners not the dogs. I loved my pitts and they will always hold a special place in my heart. Best dam dogs ever, and like a previous post, those dog would have died to protect me.

Sometimes I wish this country would just do a “reboot” and get back to making people responsible for their actions, raising their kids and handling their money. My parents spanked me and I learned to respect my elders, other people and take responsibly for my actions, not blame all of my problems on the system or other people.

Sorry for the rant, like everyone else here I want the officers and the Police department to admit that they were wrong and fix it. I know that can’t ever replace the dogs but if they can make it so it never happens again it would be a good day for everyone with a family pet….dog…cat….bird…and so.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.