Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

EPA and Edge

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Goose2448 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
shit

#3 ·
this is crazy,What's going on with this world?

#4 · (Edited)
Look out h&s!!! And according to that edge shut down production in 2011, h&s and sct went alot longer than that.

#5 ·
I posted this over at DD too:

The company, located in Ogden, Utah, sold more than 9,000 of these electronic devices nationwide, resulting in an estimated 158 tons of excess PM emissions released into the atmosphere. This is equivalent to the emissions from 422 new long-haul semi trucks operating for a period of 29 years.
Let's share some other facts. Charbroiling a single hamburger releases as much particulate matter into the air as an 18 wheeler driving 143 miles. There are roughly 38,000,000 hamburgers eaten each day in the U.S. Let's say that half of these are Charbroiled, just for the sake of figuring. That means, the said "422 18 wheelers" would have to travel 81,034,891 miles a year for 29 years to equal what particulate matter is produced in one day by charbroiling hamburgers in the U.S.

#6 ·
Good fact. What a bunch of shit this is. This country is getting crazy, think about the stuff they are trying to pull on us. Banning guns, high taxes, and now we can't even drive stuff that is built or modded to be the best it can be. I just hope they don't start coming after the end users (us). I would think they would go to dealers next but who knows with these jackasses.

#10 ·
“As of today, we estimate that the hamburger’s contribution of particulate matter to ambient atmosphere is twice that of all the on-road diesel vehicles,” Mr. Welch said in a telephone interview on Monday. “It’s really a testament to the advances in technology in diesel engines.”

Mr. Welch came across the statistic by comparing data on different particulate sources in the South Coast Air Basin, an area that contains Orange County, and nondesert portions of surrounding counties, including Los Angeles and Riverside. Charbroiled burgers emit 33 pounds of particulate matter per 1,000 pounds of meat cooked, he noted, so a typical 1/3-pound patty would emit five grams of particles before hitting a diner’s palate. It would take a diesel truck emitting 35 milligrams per mile for 143 miles to equal the same amount of soot.

#11 ·
A UC Riverside study found that commercially cooked hamburgers cause more air pollution than diesel trucks.

The study, which focused on commercial charbroilers found in burger restaurants, said the equipment generates grease, smoke, water vapors and combustion products, which emit a large amount of particulate matter into the air.

“For comparison, an 18-wheeler diesel engine truck would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty,” said Bill Welch, the principle engineer.

Researchers at UCR, who found few regulations for the restaurant emissions, said they’re developing a contraption to trap the particulates.

“Our goal is to find something cost-effective and technically feasible to reduce the smoke,” said Welch.

The study also said grilled burgers produce less particulates in the air than charbroiled ones.

Customers at a Hesperia burger joint said you can’t compare diesel emissions with hamburger smoke.

“Either way, we’re living in a world (where) we’re still going through pollution. But the difference is we are getting some type of benefit from (the burger),” said Maria Segura.

The UCR study is co-funded by the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

#12 ·
I eat a lot of good burgers, and drive a Gross Polluter(7.3) most of the time, my carbon ass print must be huge. Not like I really care or anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.