Amsoil: friend or foe? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Best Oil
Amsoil 46 44.66%
Rotella T 19 18.45%
Rotella T5 3 2.91%
Rotella T6 12 11.65%
Other 23 22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Amsoil: friend or foe?

Alright guys not trying to start a war on here today (maybe tomorrow ) but not today. I switched our truck to amsoil and so far it has not impressed me much. after about 8000 miles the oil starts to appear to break down, my oil pressure is extremely high on take off even after 30 minutes of warm up time it still hits 90 psi.

Ive read several places where people swear by the stuff and i have also read horror stories from people who have seen broke down motors after running this stuff and seen the sludge. my truck only has 38000 miles on it and i want to head problems off. please share your positive and negative stories on amsoil and other oils you have ran across and also please fill out the poll.

I am trying to find the best oil to run in our truck, please keep in mind our truck averages between 14-17k a month and over half of those miles are towing 7 to 9k loads. The mileage we go is one reason i went with amsoil, because changing every 5k is not really feasible for us unless absolutely necessary.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I don't see a poll but I've switched to rotella t6 synthetic on my last oil change and so far have noticed improvements over the conventional. My tipwritter tic got a lot quiter and sometimes can't hear it at all on startups. Also I checked my oil the other day has about 2000-2500 miles on it and even though its the offseason I still towed a few times with it and it was still golden and hadent budged in level. I'm planning to continue to use it and will probably change it 6-7000 miles.
MHDMAX66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Run Amsoil on my 2500hd as well as the past three vehicles in the household. Great results. Great compression, etc.

What do you mean by appear to breakdown? The only way to have definitive data is an oil analysis. Visual indicators are not going to mean much.

Those horror stories you are referring to - what platform? Model year? There are a lot of variables to consoder. LMMs specifically had fuel dilution issues relating to the regen method.

http://zero-signal.org/2500HD/2500HD_sig_small.jpg

SGT/USMC | 0311
CODE4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Poll now up I voted and by the way there was a what oil to you use poll not to long ago and if I remember right rotella t6 and amsoil were the most popular.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODE4 View Post
Run Amsoil on my 2500hd as well as the past three vehicles in the household. Great results. Great compression, etc.

What do you mean by appear to breakdown? The only way to have definitive data is an oil analysis. Visual indicators are not going to mean much.

Those horror stories you are referring to - what platform? Model year? There are a lot of variables to consoder. LMMs specifically had fuel dilution issues relating to the regen method.
i know visual is not good enough to be definite but when it looks like black sludge at 8000 it got me to thinking.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Is it really sludgy or just black. After 8000 miles I would expect it to be black.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
gpn

I think your rig has the 9th injector, right? I know on the LMM's they didn't recommend extended drain intervals because of oil dilution from basically washing the 8th cylinder and fuel leaking past the rings on the exhaust stroke. Are you sending your oil out for analysis to get these findings? Just looking at the oil will tell you exactly one thing: color. If you want to to know about fuel in the oil, or viscosity breakdown you better have a lab check it out. I have a lbz with 6k miles on my oil my amsoil 15w-40 hd marine 12tbn oil. It has a long name but I think thats right. it has warmed up here. Oil pressure at startup is about 80psi. I leave my truck plugged in unless I'm driving it. If I start it in the morning after being plugged in all night it will kick into high idle. If I let it run for 5 min and then take off the oil will not be higher than 80 psi during driving. Once it is warm it sits around 40-50psi under load and 25-30 at idle.

quid leges sine moribus vanae proficient

ARIZONA DIESEL CLUB
gpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Another oil thread, with a poll.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
gpn

ha, I started typing my response right away after this was posted, but got a phone call. When I finished my post and submitted it everyone beat me too all the things i had to say! Thats pretty funny

quid leges sine moribus vanae proficient

ARIZONA DIESEL CLUB
gpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I have been keeping a close eye on my injectors lately so I just use regular Rotella T and make sure I don't drain any more oil out then I put in.

Sold: 2003 Chevy 2500 LB7, Crew Cab
Bear Claw Front and Rear Bumpers
EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
www.performancetruckproducts.com
Bear9350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.